Why User Experience is Too Important to Ignore

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Why User Experience is Too Important to Ignore[/h1]
excerpt:
[COLOR= rgb(69, 69, 69)]
Eww, Gross – Bad Site, Head for the Hills![/h3]
  1. Uncertainty – is this site for real? Can I trust this site with my information? Is the owner of this site a real person who actually cares? If someone is asking themselves these questions and is unsure of the answers they hear in their head, then they probably feel that they’re not in the right place and will want to get the heck out of there.
  2. Lost – if they get there and have some initial comfort but then feel lost or confused after a minute or two, then frustration sets in and they are gone!
  3. A Bit like Dorothy – when the wizard came out from behind the curtain, we were all a little disappointed. If the users feel there is something shady going on behind the scenes, they will bolt. They are bombarded with spam, etc. and don’t want to do business with anyone they think has a hidden agenda.
[/COLOR]

Joey Bloggs said:
...If the users feel there is something shady going on behind the scenes, they will bolt...don’t want to do business with anyone they think has a hidden agenda.
Not the same, but it reminds me of something that immediately causes me to bolt a website. Any time I'm looking to buy something and find a website where no prices are listed, but instead it says "call us for pricing" I immediately leave because I know that means the price is so high they want to do some good sales talk before I hear the price, so I'll be prepared.
I don't want to be talked into buying something I don't want, or something that's overpriced.

Joey Bloggs said:
...If the users feel there is something shady going on behind the scenes, they will bolt...don’t want to do business with anyone they think has a hidden agenda.
Not the same, but it reminds me of something that immediately causes me to bolt a website. Any time I'm looking to buy something and find a website where no prices are listed, but instead it says "call us for pricing" I immediately leave because I know that means the price is so high they want to do some good sales talk before I hear the price, so I'll be prepared.
I don't want to be talked into buying something I don't want, or something that's overpriced..
There is another section that discusses that! I agree! Sends me running...like a flock of seagulls I ran!
[COLOR= rgb(69, 69, 69)]
  1. Make your CTAs (call to action) obvious – people need to be guided through an experience. Your CTA needs to be obvious without being obnoxious. Place the useful qualifying information on your site followed by a clear call to action (what you want and expect them to do next: call, email, buy, etc.).
  2. Don’t over-complicate the message – get to the point! No one is going to wade through tons of information to get what they want. They want it now! They want to click once and be there. Do as little as possible to complicate this process.
  3. Keep the aisles clear from debris – no one likes their shopping experience to be a cluttered one. They want free and easy access to the products they wish to purchase. In the case of a website, this means that they want to find the information they are looking for quickly. You want your site’s navigation and support features (search, help, etc.) to be intuitive and effective. Testing is important here because designers and developers sometimes miss the obvious roadblocks.
[/COLOR]

Joey Bloggs said:
I don't want to be talked into buying something I don't want, or something that's overpriced..
There is another section that discusses that! I agree! Sends me running...like a flock of seagulls I ran!
[COLOR= rgb(69, 69, 69)]
  1. Make your CTAs (call to action) obvious – people need to be guided through an experience. Your CTA needs to be obvious without being obnoxious. Place the useful qualifying information on your site followed by a clear call to action (what you want and expect them to do next: call, email, buy, etc.).
  2. Don’t over-complicate the message – get to the point! No one is going to wade through tons of information to get what they want. They want it now! They want to click once and be there. Do as little as possible to complicate this process.
  3. Keep the aisles clear from debris – no one likes their shopping experience to be a cluttered one. They want free and easy access to the products they wish to purchase. In the case of a website, this means that they want to find the information they are looking for quickly. You want your site’s navigation and support features (search, help, etc.) to be intuitive and effective. Testing is important here because designers and developers sometimes miss the obvious roadblocks.
[/COLOR]
I am thinking of adding an arrow to the website to point to the big, red 'Reservation' button. Too many callers saying they didn't know they could do it themselves. And, best one yet, 'I see on your website that you have one room open next weekend, can I make a reservation for that?' My reply was to ask if they could do that themselves as I was not home at the moment. Answer back: Where do I do that?
The person is looking at the reservation calendar. There are directions for what to do right on that page. They got to that page via a button that says 'Make a Reservation'. They said they would reserve on their own, but they didn't. It must have been too complicated.

Joey Bloggs said:
[COLOR= rgb(69, 69, 69)]
[/COLOR]
I am thinking of adding an arrow to the website to point to the big, red 'Reservation' button. Too many callers saying they didn't know they could do it themselves. And, best one yet, 'I see on your website that you have one room open next weekend, can I make a reservation for that?' My reply was to ask if they could do that themselves as I was not home at the moment. Answer back: Where do I do that?
The person is looking at the reservation calendar. There are directions for what to do right on that page. They got to that page via a button that says 'Make a Reservation'. They said they would reserve on their own, but they didn't. It must have been too complicated.
Madde, I just had a peak and the online rez system you use is complicated. I have said this before, it seems overwhelming. The telephone "section" alone is huge. Even tho you can select one of them only, it seems daunting.
With that program, not having the ROOM PHOTOS on the rez page "is not on." It makes me work to remember which room and click and open each room photo.
Go to my rez page and attempt to make a rez, you will see the fewer steps and fewer details the guest need to input. Even asking for Salutations on your pgrm takes more space and more time and more input.
Just saying this from an innmate to an innmate. SIMPLIFY. I would call you to book the room and I NEVER CALL!

Joey Bloggs said:
[COLOR= rgb(69, 69, 69)]
[/COLOR]
Madde, I just had a peak and the online rez system you use is complicated. I have said this before, it seems overwhelming. The telephone "section" alone is huge. Even tho you can select one of them only, it seems daunting.
With that program, not having the ROOM PHOTOS on the rez page "is not on." It makes me work to remember which room and click and open each room photo.
Go to my rez page and attempt to make a rez, you will see the fewer steps and fewer details the guest need to input. Even asking for Salutations on your pgrm takes more space and more time and more input.
Just saying this from an innmate to an innmate. SIMPLIFY. I would call you to book the room and I NEVER CALL!
I really like your system. It has the best features and ease of use. It appears I'm entrenched in what I have.

Back