Why we closed for the winter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Today’s holiday weekend weather is crazy winds, rain and high waves. Winds gusting to 59 and expected to gust to 70. Waves already splashing over the road and high tide is over 2 hours away. It’s (thankfully) not too cold. Rain instead of snow.

Windows are rattling - and these windows were brand new 8 years ago. Possibility of power loss is high. Guests would be worried, uncomfortable, unable to sleep and would find no restaurants open, that is IF they actually were brave enough to leave the house!

This is the main reason we switched from open always to open only in the good weather months. Although I’m a bit stressed about wind damage to our home, I am NOT stressed about uncomfortable guests.

I do not officially close, however, in December, January, & February a reservation is an anomaly totally not normal. Starting about 11 yesterday morning, I could hear the sleet hitting my windows. Then about 1 it started to snow, by 4 that snow (still coming down) was mixed with sleet again. I think we got 4 or 5 inches - it is still snowing. I do not want to be concerned about them getting here on roads that have ice under the snow.

We do not close down in West Virginia for a couple inches of snow but we have a huge RESPECT for ICE as our roads were created, in my opinion, by putting a snake down on the ground and that is where the road was built. They are also narrow and lined with guard rail (not much level, flat land in WV). Shinnston streets have been plowed and although I have not and will not leave my house for the next few days, I am certain the main roads have been plowed, cindered, and salted.

I am too far from any of our 4 ski resorts to benefit from winter.

If we had gotten snow with this storm we’d be housebound for a week. Sun just coming out now.

Totally understand! I was thinking the same last night. It poured where we used to live. It snowed where we are living now. Crazy windy. The sun is out, but yesterday a lot of the town was closed due to the weather.

Winter can be a difficult period in which to please guests, warm or damp and folks are unhappy that area skiing is not ideal, or slopes are closed due to weather. Cold and lots of snow, driving can be an issue although some guests don't mind it is difficult on us if parking and the porch are snow covered, expect my favorite is cold with a little light snow in the air, but not on the ground, but then I don't often get my choice.

Here in Arkansas, the weather is so unpredictable. It could snow this weekend and be 70 degrees next! We had a group leave early because of the predicted snow fall last weekend. Snowed on Saturday, gone Sunday mid day.

Back