Why we do not have an availability calendar on-line

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.... Am I the only that didin't see anything unusual about couples traveling together. We get that every so often. Heck - we travel with friends. I guess we are a different sort of inn..
We do accept reservations for 2 couples traveling together but even that can be problematic. Last summer 2 couples traveling together cleared off the desk in the common room and set up a bar that they made good use of for 3 days.
wow.gif
(One of the guest suites has a sitting room with desk that could have been used but they choose to totally take over the house.) They asked for many, many suggestions... from limo service to suggesting an itinerary for their major party night out, and we felt like we were their servants the entire time they were here. Now, I know that I have made a generalization about groups... and we have successfully hosted plenty of couples traveling together as well as family groups (mostly regulars). However, we are FULL all summer...no problem. We do not need to take on additional work..no matter how much $$$ is involved. So if we can eliminate the problem guests, or at least keep the probable PITAs to a minimum, we actually enjoy being innkeepers and have fun with our guests and even, possibly, find that we are looking forward to our 24th year inn keeping.
MY POINT in the original post was that IN THIS CASE, having the ability to screen guests before booking worked in my favor. That's my point and I am sticking to it!
Over and OUT.
Have you noticed this with couples traveling together- one couple, or most of the time one spouse of one couple is much, much more work than the other 3 put together? That one person always seems to be coming up with something that is not done quite right? Like it's their party and it's their rep on the line if this is not the best vacation ever?
We've had the same couples year after year and it's the same thing year after year. Enough already. You're all adults. If Couple A doesn't like something let them tell me, not you, oh designated complainer.
I have picked some real doozies when we've traveled with other couples. We all laugh about it and everyone says, 'Do it again Madeleine,' no matter how many times I try to have someone else make the reservations and pick the place.
Maddie, it is amazing to me how 100% accurate your statements are on this topic.
In fact of the "couples travelling together" theme, or even "Sisters meeting half way" from all over, I cannot recall any of their faces, except The Designated Complainer, aka "The Planner" in other words, and they all tell me every single time "So and so plans it all and we just show up" so the anal retentive is the planner, Type A personality.
Even as they walk out the door the next morning "The Planner" aka the control-freak has a big binder in hand with print out of every stop, maps, itineraries and more. She is the one who pays, she is the one who inspects the rooms to make sure nothing is left behind. She is on schedule and has to get out before 10am to make their next stop on time. She never asks for directions, or things to see before they head out or on the way. She is large and in charge. Yes, she, always a she. I noticed you didn't say she, but I will.
But on the same token, I think it is the others in the group who feel let off the hook and those are the ones who, say, wander into my kitchen that says Private and has a closed door. They are like the kids in the family, they get into stuff and go where they shouldn't. The planner never does this. Although in her mothering she will defend them and say "They just wanted to see what behind that door..."
Brother, am I "The Planner" I think I am, for my family, definately. But am I that bad? HELP ME! I NEED AN INTERVENTION FAST!
tounge_smile.gif

Yes, dodged one!
We also don't have online avail. Same reasons. It's a control thing, I guess, although, I have experimented recently with ReservationKey & am interested, but haven't had the time to set it all up..
Meanwhile, can avoid some of the crazies by weeding them out if we interact with them-more time consuming, yes, but has worked thus far.
I also like having the option of not allowing someone to book 2 nights in a more expensive room & then swap rooms for their final evening to a cheaper room to "save a few dollars" (although the original room was still open). This is no savings for us as we have to fully clean/launder the first room & then the second one after just one night-ugh (someone wanted to do this recently & if they could have booked online themselves would have done so).
Anyhow, for now we remain without an online booking calendar...

Hmmm.... Am I the only that didin't see anything unusual about couples traveling together. We get that every so often. Heck - we travel with friends. I guess we are a different sort of inn..
We do accept reservations for 2 couples traveling together but even that can be problematic. Last summer 2 couples traveling together cleared off the desk in the common room and set up a bar that they made good use of for 3 days.
wow.gif
(One of the guest suites has a sitting room with desk that could have been used but they choose to totally take over the house.) They asked for many, many suggestions... from limo service to suggesting an itinerary for their major party night out, and we felt like we were their servants the entire time they were here. Now, I know that I have made a generalization about groups... and we have successfully hosted plenty of couples traveling together as well as family groups (mostly regulars). However, we are FULL all summer...no problem. We do not need to take on additional work..no matter how much $$$ is involved. So if we can eliminate the problem guests, or at least keep the probable PITAs to a minimum, we actually enjoy being innkeepers and have fun with our guests and even, possibly, find that we are looking forward to our 24th year inn keeping.
MY POINT in the original post was that IN THIS CASE, having the ability to screen guests before booking worked in my favor. That's my point and I am sticking to it!
Over and OUT.
Have you noticed this with couples traveling together- one couple, or most of the time one spouse of one couple is much, much more work than the other 3 put together? That one person always seems to be coming up with something that is not done quite right? Like it's their party and it's their rep on the line if this is not the best vacation ever?
We've had the same couples year after year and it's the same thing year after year. Enough already. You're all adults. If Couple A doesn't like something let them tell me, not you, oh designated complainer.
I have picked some real doozies when we've traveled with other couples. We all laugh about it and everyone says, 'Do it again Madeleine,' no matter how many times I try to have someone else make the reservations and pick the place.
Maddie, it is amazing to me how 100% accurate your statements are on this topic.
In fact of the "couples travelling together" theme, or even "Sisters meeting half way" from all over, I cannot recall any of their faces, except The Designated Complainer, aka "The Planner" in other words, and they all tell me every single time "So and so plans it all and we just show up" so the anal retentive is the planner, Type A personality.
Even as they walk out the door the next morning "The Planner" aka the control-freak has a big binder in hand with print out of every stop, maps, itineraries and more. She is the one who pays, she is the one who inspects the rooms to make sure nothing is left behind. She is on schedule and has to get out before 10am to make their next stop on time. She never asks for directions, or things to see before they head out or on the way. She is large and in charge. Yes, she, always a she. I noticed you didn't say she, but I will.
But on the same token, I think it is the others in the group who feel let off the hook and those are the ones who, say, wander into my kitchen that says Private and has a closed door. They are like the kids in the family, they get into stuff and go where they shouldn't. The planner never does this. Although in her mothering she will defend them and say "They just wanted to see what behind that door..."
Brother, am I "The Planner" I think I am, for my family, definately. But am I that bad? HELP ME! I NEED AN INTERVENTION FAST!
tounge_smile.gif

Occasionally it's a guy. But mostly, yes, it's a woman. I haven't had the experience with everyone else in the party behaving badly. They are usually having fun, tho. Yes, to the binder, if they are from far away. And, I always say to binder lady (guys never have the binder), 'Ah, you're the cruise director, the organizer, the planner, the one who sees that everything is in order. Gotta love that!'
Sometimes I ask where else are they going. (I find this an end run on the planner. If she feels recognized for all the work and gets congratulated, a lot of times the bossiness goes away.)
But, yes, if there is one, I definitely know which one is in charge.

wow.gif
Over and OUT.
tounge_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Hey! Is that supposed to mean I'm rarely accurate, given your amazement?

Yes, dodged one!
We also don't have online avail. Same reasons. It's a control thing, I guess, although, I have experimented recently with ReservationKey & am interested, but haven't had the time to set it all up..
Meanwhile, can avoid some of the crazies by weeding them out if we interact with them-more time consuming, yes, but has worked thus far.
I also like having the option of not allowing someone to book 2 nights in a more expensive room & then swap rooms for their final evening to a cheaper room to "save a few dollars" (although the original room was still open). This is no savings for us as we have to fully clean/launder the first room & then the second one after just one night-ugh (someone wanted to do this recently & if they could have booked online themselves would have done so).
Anyhow, for now we remain without an online booking calendar....
I had that the other day. Not that they wanted to move but that they were willing to move for the 3rd night if they decided to stay another night and their room was taken. We do that a lot, however, this was on a package with a greatly reduced 3rd night rate. No, ma'am, I am not going to move you, clean the room entirely and then clean another room entirely for one night at a reduced rate.
Book the 3rd night now if you want it. She didn't.

wow.gif
Over and OUT.
tounge_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
No, just that the clarity was spot on. I believe most people do not see things the way we see things. I believe most people can have guests stay with them and know nothing about them, no intuition, no insight whatsoever. This is why I mentioned it, spot on!
The other thing with this Cruise Director mentality, is there is no bend, I mean something amazing could be going on and it is not on the itinerary so they will not do it or see it. I applaud all the hard work, and I also let them know that "half the fun of any trip is in the planning" so I believe (even though it is frustrating) the Planner gets the most out ot it. Her research has taught her much.

wow.gif
Over and OUT.
Silver, I have to agree that this chick would not have booked online. She had too many extras and special arrangements to lay out that she would not have just booked the rooms and then have called to make all these grand plans.
100% of the people here that wanted to book a group, event, special doo-wah, extra meals, "can't you just do such-and-such", all called or emailed me. And we went round and round, just like you did. And they were referred to another place and weren't happy that I wouldn't accommodate all of their gazillion requests. oh, well...
So, I still don't think this is a good argument to not have an online rez system.
regular_smile.gif
But, you are happy with accepting your reservations via phone or email and I get it. It works for you!

Yes, dodged one!
With Reservation Key you can set this up as an up charge if they want to move rooms or if they book single nights. We have a lot of single nights that we book. I now charge $10 extra for single night stays. It works great. The crazies that you speak of will still call before they book. Plus I have found that we have less of them staying now. I think it is because there card gets charged while making a reservation. While the season is slow I would give it a try. What do you have to lose? You can always go back to the way your doing it now.......But you wont!

Yes, dodged one!
With Reservation Key you can set this up as an up charge if they want to move rooms or if they book single nights. We have a lot of single nights that we book. I now charge $10 extra for single night stays. It works great. The crazies that you speak of will still call before they book. Plus I have found that we have less of them staying now. I think it is because there card gets charged while making a reservation. While the season is slow I would give it a try. What do you have to lose? You can always go back to the way your doing it now.......But you wont!
We have a 3-night minimum in season and I only book stays that are contiguous to other reservations...no single-night stays for us during our "season". I do not mind turning folks away who do not want the nights we have to book. Someone else will book them...or not. Either way, we do not kill ourselves turning over a room for a one-night stay. With that said, we occasionally get someone who wants an extended stay for, say, 6 nights. If we only have 5 nights in the suite they want, I will give them a 1-night stay in another suite and then move them. But that is MY choice, since they never see what we have available.

Yes, you dodged that one. Keep doing things the way you are comfortable with. It IS your business.
One thing I will point out tho is that if you are full at that time, it will show full /not available on your online calendar. In fact, I need to go in and remove an unavailable I placed on 2 nights in Feb. The City Manager decided we do not need to go!
Re the Planner - I plead guilty in my former life. However, deviations were often forth-coming if we found something interesting. One friend once remarked that she was not surprised I found a destination in a VERY distant location, her suprise was that I arived before midnight because I am known for finding interesting things between here and there. (Problem was there WAS nothing between Dalls/Ft Worth and Abilene. Darn it! I did find a neat town however between Abilene and the church camp where the wedding took place. Do not ask - cannot remeber now)

wow.gif
Over and OUT.
tounge_smile.gif

Occasionally it's a guy. But mostly, yes, it's a woman. I haven't had the experience with everyone else in the party behaving badly. They are usually having fun, tho. Yes, to the binder, if they are from far away. And, I always say to binder lady (guys never have the binder), 'Ah, you're the cruise director, the organizer, the planner, the one who sees that everything is in order. Gotta love that!'
Sometimes I ask where else are they going. (I find this an end run on the planner. If she feels recognized for all the work and gets congratulated, a lot of times the bossiness goes away.)
But, yes, if there is one, I definitely know which one is in charge.
I call her the group "MUM" and look for her on check in as speaking to everyone else is nearly as waste of time. When I worked in large hotels I could sniff out the MUM straight away and get her on my side to organise the others and make them listen to what you are telling them as with groups they are always looking round at everything and not listening to your instructions ie in this particular hotel the lights operated with the key fob so you would tell them this on check in, 10 mins later call from room lights arn't working.

Yes, dodged one!
I had that the other day. Not that they wanted to move but that they were willing to move for the 3rd night if they decided to stay another night and their room was taken. We do that a lot, however, this was on a package with a greatly reduced 3rd night rate. No, ma'am, I am not going to move you, clean the room entirely and then clean another room entirely for one night at a reduced rate.
Book the 3rd night now if you want it. She didn't.
same as you would be charging the same or more cos its more work! HOwever on the point of online booking if I didn't then I would literally be dead in the water the number of customers who say we always use laterooms or booking.com because from their point of view it is quick easy and provides all the information in one place in an easy format. While Im not overjoyed with the commission I use it myself and for example you are comming to Harrogate for something you put in the postcode of where and it will find you the places to stay in order of distance from where you are going and show you on a map where they are, price reviews and so on all in the same place and book in one simple easy step. Whoever writes their code and designes their web page is a genious. also translates into 15 different languages.

Back