Why we don't buy local fruit

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We buy California/Florida strawberries at under $2/lbs. Local strawberries at $5+/lbs - go figure!

At the grocery they are 3.99 for 6 oz. I am ashamed to say I have started visiting Wally's brother for my fruit (still get the bananas at local on arrival day and apples locally). Brother usually has blackberries for $5 for 12 oz. I also get red raspberries, champagne mangoes, and kiwi there. All else from my local produce store in big town south (10 miles) or at my grocery in town.

Our blackberries are always more than that at the grocery store and at stuff mart. FYI. Not everything is cheaper the further south you go, but like all of you, I know what and when and buy it in season and when it is the least. Starfruit magically appeared this week, not great ones either and I paid $1.89 each as I know the value they give with one or two slices on each plate as garnish.
Watermelon never went down this year, but canteloupe/rock melon did! But it isn't the sweetest in the world at the moment, oddly enough.
Our farmers markets are always more than buying from the box stores. Never less.

Todays shopping list: Mangos - 39cts ea., Watermellon - 2.99 ea, strawberries - 1.19 lb , Blueberries-77cts pt, Pineapple 97cts ea, Tomatos on the vine -98cts, C&H sugar 99cts for 4lbs!, bananas 29 cts lb, grapes (gr or red) 79cts lb.
I use "price Matcherz" they catch all the sale prices for every store in a 50 mile radius, and post it on their website. I get all the sale prices at Wallys cuz they price match all the stores. It's either that or drive 40 minutes one way to the 'bigger' town.
I almost always get great fruit and veggies there. If I can swing it, I'll also try to hit the farmers market when I can.

Our blackberries are always more than that at the grocery store and at stuff mart. FYI. Not everything is cheaper the further south you go, but like all of you, I know what and when and buy it in season and when it is the least. Starfruit magically appeared this week, not great ones either and I paid $1.89 each as I know the value they give with one or two slices on each plate as garnish.
Watermelon never went down this year, but canteloupe/rock melon did! But it isn't the sweetest in the world at the moment, oddly enough.
Our farmers markets are always more than buying from the box stores. Never less..
We do not have a Market Master so cannot have a Farmer's Market. Hoping for next year. I will gladly pay the higher rate at the FM.
When I find berries or other freezable fruit at the produce store, I stock up (also when there are loss leaders at the grocery). Cantaloupe is $1 each this week at the grocery.

Todays shopping list: Mangos - 39cts ea., Watermellon - 2.99 ea, strawberries - 1.19 lb , Blueberries-77cts pt, Pineapple 97cts ea, Tomatos on the vine -98cts, C&H sugar 99cts for 4lbs!, bananas 29 cts lb, grapes (gr or red) 79cts lb.
I use "price Matcherz" they catch all the sale prices for every store in a 50 mile radius, and post it on their website. I get all the sale prices at Wallys cuz they price match all the stores. It's either that or drive 40 minutes one way to the 'bigger' town.
I almost always get great fruit and veggies there. If I can swing it, I'll also try to hit the farmers market when I can..
We don't have that site here in this state, I wish!

Our farmers markets are always more than buying from the box stores. Never less..
We do not have a Market Master so cannot have a Farmer's Market. Hoping for next year. I will gladly pay the higher rate at the FM.
When I find berries or other freezable fruit at the produce store, I stock up (also when there are loss leaders at the grocery). Cantaloupe is $1 each this week at the grocery.
gillumhouse said:
I will pay more at a farmer's market as well as long as they are growing the fruit and veg. Too many of them are culled produce. I have bought corn before that was actually feed corn, there are many tricks that they pull. I am happy to have something that someone grew themselves, 100% of the time, the uglier the better. SEND ME YOUR ABUNDANCE OF ZUCCHINI, MATORS and CUCS, I IMPLORE YOU!

I almost always get great fruit and veggies there. If I can swing it, I'll also try to hit the farmers market when I can..
Those prices are unheard of here.
I bought bulk blueberries for $3/pint and that was half what everyone else was selling them for. Went to the farm to get them at that price.

gillumhouse said:
I will pay more at a farmer's market as well as long as they are growing the fruit and veg. Too many of them are culled produce. I have bought corn before that was actually feed corn, there are many tricks that they pull. I am happy to have something that someone grew themselves, 100% of the time, the uglier the better. SEND ME YOUR ABUNDANCE OF ZUCCHINI, MATORS and CUCS, I IMPLORE YOU!
My mater plants are starting to be ready - picked one yesterday and 2 today! I have 6 plants and one of them is just starting to flower so I do not expect anything from that one.

I love this time of year because we can go out in our back area and pick our own blackberries and blueberries! The rest of the fruit in stores around here is outrageously expensive.

I bought bulk blueberries for $3/pint and that was half what everyone else was selling them for. Went to the farm to get them at that price.
Local produce but at the supermarket....
Lettuce 77c lb
Tomatoes 97c lb
Cucumbers 3 for a $1
Green or Wax beans $1.77 lb
Broccoli 87c
Cauliflower $1.77 at one place and 99c at the other (but likely smaller too)
Zucchini 97c lb
Cantelope $1.47 at one place 99c at the other.
Green Peppers 97c lb
Cabbage 67c lb (farts free!)
Radishes 2 for 99c
A .8 gallon basket of peaches $2.99
Imported
Litchi $1.97 lb
Prickly Pears $9.97 box of 20
Limes 12 for $3 (a steal, actually!)
Figs $7.99 a box of 15 to 18
But just to show you where we are expensive. A US gallon of milk cannot be sold for less than USD$5.18 around here.
We are past prime strawberry season around here. But the local strawberries are SO MUCH better than the imported stuff.

B&B vs motel
Farmers Market vs supermarket.
Our local farmers work their petooties off. I'll pay them what they're worth. Around here, we all know each other.

Walked to the end of our field and picked more than my guests could eat (and served them a dark chocolate salted caramel orange sauce that they could pour over if they wanted to ... they did)

Local produce but at the supermarket....
Lettuce 77c lb
Tomatoes 97c lb
Cucumbers 3 for a $1
Green or Wax beans $1.77 lb
Broccoli 87c
Cauliflower $1.77 at one place and 99c at the other (but likely smaller too)
Zucchini 97c lb
Cantelope $1.47 at one place 99c at the other.
Green Peppers 97c lb
Cabbage 67c lb (farts free!)
Radishes 2 for 99c
A .8 gallon basket of peaches $2.99
Imported
Litchi $1.97 lb
Prickly Pears $9.97 box of 20
Limes 12 for $3 (a steal, actually!)
Figs $7.99 a box of 15 to 18
But just to show you where we are expensive. A US gallon of milk cannot be sold for less than USD$5.18 around here.
We are past prime strawberry season around here. But the local strawberries are SO MUCH better than the imported stuff.
Your prices are lower than ours, regardless where they came from and not in high end supermarket
Lettuce .99+
broccoli $1.99
cauliflower $2.99
cantaloupe $2.49+
green peppers $1.49+
cabbage .99/lbs
radishes 1 for $1+

gillumhouse said:
Got home yesterday and one of my friends / neighbors had left me 4 gorgeous cucumbers on my back deck. I still don't know who, but everyone knows I use them constantly.

gillumhouse said:
Got home yesterday and one of my friends / neighbors had left me 4 gorgeous cucumbers on my back deck. I still don't know who, but everyone knows I use them constantly.

Here's mine :
Note: 1 pound = 2.2kg Approx AUD $1 = .90 US
Blueberrys $37.60kg Lemon .52c each
Strawberrys $13.29kg Banana .36c each
Carrot .34c each Cauliflower $5.98 each
Corn $1.20 each Cucumber $2.48 each
If I want to travel to the nearest city several 1000's kms away Unleaded fuel $1.73 per litre.
( 1 litre is 2.1134US pt lqd)

We brand ourselves as locally sourced, so if we can get it local, we get it local. Sometimes I have to close my eyes when I walk by the price sign. You don't want to know what we pay. On the other hand, getting locally sourced produce is sooooooo superior to stuff an ocean away that it just makes sense. Picked ripe and fresh.
That said, there are some things that can't be grown here. We mix those in when Cos co brings them in.

Back