Why we don't do politics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Last week was our County Fair and dh spent some time at the booth for our particular political party. He asked me about the appropriateness of putting a sign out front. I said no, we want all people to feel comfortable here. I think maybe he could put something on his truck, but he hasn't done so.
Well, we just had a guest who's in town to campaign for the other political party, as paid staff. He felt comfortable enough after his one night stay to book three rooms for two nights in November.
And the other guest at the table was from Canada, so all was very easy.
=)
Kk.

People feel very strongly right now about all of these politics, our nation is in crisis. It would be improper to put a sign or sticker for any party in your yard or vehicle of a business without reaping the negative consequences. Why cause stress and strife. That is the only thing that would come from it.
Putting a sign up is not going to convince anyone of anything. I am glad you stuck with your guns on this one. Oddly enough we discussed this at breakfast today, and the guests thanked us for not doing that. If they felt opposition either way they would not stay here, they said it point blank, and I probably feel the same.
The thing is, there are people who I love and care about who have very different opinions. Right now is a good time to lose those people in our lives over this. You did the right thing!

It's interesting that you post this. I am one of those people who gets terribly involved with politics, especially in my local community. Yesterday, in walking to the library, I saw several businesses I have considered patronizing who all had out their political signs. And because they weren't in line with my views, I have mentally noted this and am likely to not support them in the future.
Sometimes it's hard to walk the fine line, but when it comes to business, sometimes it's just better to be neutral.

It's interesting that you post this. I am one of those people who gets terribly involved with politics, especially in my local community. Yesterday, in walking to the library, I saw several businesses I have considered patronizing who all had out their political signs. And because they weren't in line with my views, I have mentally noted this and am likely to not support them in the future.
Sometimes it's hard to walk the fine line, but when it comes to business, sometimes it's just better to be neutral..
amkaylor said:
Sometimes it's hard to walk the fine line, but when it comes to business, sometimes it's just better to be neutral.
I am the same way. The signs are all around here and it irks me, what if I put up a different sign? Best to steer clear. We all have opinions and can vote it in at the voting booth!

I scraped my political sticker off my car when we became a business. Best not to get into it! There are strong feelings both ways & we can all respect that. But I'm keeping my "This State University Mom" sticker on my car - I'm proud of that kid! But let me tell you, that can be a bucket of worms around here too. haha!

I am in the minority party in my State. If I let political leanings color my views I would have no place to shop. Close friends are on the opposite pole in this particular election but I guarantee you we are still going to be friends when the dust settles. I grant the shopkeepers the right to their beliefs just as I expect to be permitted mine. If that is the reason none of the funeral homes in this town send people to me (a thought that just this minute struck me) then they are not thinking of their patrons and serving them well since they make them travel 8 miles on an unfamiliar WV road to the nearest lodging. It was a surprise to all here, but I have been successful in business - without them..
I happen to be one who votes the person, not the Party. And I refuse to be a one-issue Izzy.

I am in the minority party in my State. If I let political leanings color my views I would have no place to shop. Close friends are on the opposite pole in this particular election but I guarantee you we are still going to be friends when the dust settles. I grant the shopkeepers the right to their beliefs just as I expect to be permitted mine. If that is the reason none of the funeral homes in this town send people to me (a thought that just this minute struck me) then they are not thinking of their patrons and serving them well since they make them travel 8 miles on an unfamiliar WV road to the nearest lodging. It was a surprise to all here, but I have been successful in business - without them..
I happen to be one who votes the person, not the Party. And I refuse to be a one-issue Izzy..
i am independent and also vote the person.

Goodness. I would never not patronize a business because their politics were not mine. How silly!!

lots of people ARE silly ... come on up and sit a while in the general store and listen to them. it's really something when the locals get into heated discussions with those 'from away' ...

I agree, some people are silly.
Others are simply passionate. Deeply, viscerally passionate and unable to separate their politics from themselves, and/or able to see how anyone could think otherwise.
And our media and society encourage divisiveness.
=)
Kk.

We don't put up signs either but around here it is not uncommon to wake up to find that someone has placed a sign on the edge of your property line. You think it belongs to your neighbor, your neighbor thinks it's yours.
In town, businesses will come to work with signs in in front that did not request one. This is happening more and more because the area has made a law against placing signs on public property and fewer people are willing to have signs these days.
YS stated: "And our media and society encourage divisiveness"
Amen!

Back