Why would I keep this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Got an email this morning asking if we found this in the room (from 3 weeks ago) could we mail it to this address. What was it? A story from a newspaper.
We have found a lot of stuff left behind but certain things are considered 'trash' right away and are never brought to my attention.

You mean you don't sort and alphabetize and file your guest's trash like the rest of us?

You mean you don't sort and alphabetize and file your guest's trash like the rest of us?.
Proud Texan said:
You mean you don't sort and alphabetize and file your guest's trash like the rest of us?
It's bad enough I sort the trash into 'trash' and 'recycle' without also alphabetizing. (Altho, you haven't seen my basement recycling organization!)

We sort and recycle our own trash, but there's no way I'm sticking my hands (gloved or not) into guest's trash.

We sort and recycle our own trash, but there's no way I'm sticking my hands (gloved or not) into guest's trash..
Proud Texan said:
We sort and recycle our own trash, but there's no way I'm sticking my hands (gloved or not) into guest's trash.
If we didn't I would be paying $100's to throw away trash each month. Recycle is free. Trash is not. We are careful and don't just 'reach in'. Newspapers, bottles, cans. I don't 'fish'. Just the easy stuff!

We sort and recycle our own trash, but there's no way I'm sticking my hands (gloved or not) into guest's trash..
Proud Texan said:
If we didn't I would be paying $100's to throw away trash each month. Recycle is free. Trash is not. We are careful and don't just 'reach in'. Newspapers, bottles, cans. I don't 'fish'. Just the easy stuff!
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Since we are in the woods, we have to carry our trash out, making regular trips to the dump. It costs us $1 per contractor-size trash bag. I'm guessing we spend less than $20 per month on all trash. We used to use a burn barrel for everything that could be burned, but discontinued that because of this persistent drought. We compost all kitchen waste.
The dump also takes our recycling, but no longer take glass, which sucks (lots of wine bottles!)

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Recycle is free? Wow. That is terrific, it should be to encourage more of it!

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Since we are in the woods, we have to carry our trash out, making regular trips to the dump. It costs us $1 per contractor-size trash bag. I'm guessing we spend less than $20 per month on all trash. We used to use a burn barrel for everything that could be burned, but discontinued that because of this persistent drought. We compost all kitchen waste.
The dump also takes our recycling, but no longer take glass, which sucks (lots of wine bottles!)
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
They do not recycle glass here any more either!
What will we do with all these mason jars...
devil_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
devil_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
devil_smile.gif
Since we do live in the woods, I've been thinking about starting up a still. We could recycle the bottles and sell "shine" to our guests!

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Here is is required! Newspapers, cans, and plastic. They do not take glass either.
re those mason jars - ship them here. The MEN are always in need of mason jars for their peppers - they compete for who makes the best peppers. This is canning season here - tomatoes, peppers, salsa, applesauce, etc

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This town has a lamentable recycling rate compared with the towns next door which range from 30-50%. (We do take back 90% of our bottles, tho! Gotta get that refund.)

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This town has a lamentable recycling rate compared with the towns next door which range from 30-50%. (We do take back 90% of our bottles, tho! Gotta get that refund.)
We don't get any recycling because "its health and safety on the pavement people will fall over the boxes" but really its cos they don't want huge boxes full off bottles on the pavement opposite the conference center making us all look bad!
However we send all our jars, egg boxes, cereal boxes, middles of kitchen roll, small boxes all go to a local school for box modeling and making jam.

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
We don't get any recycling because "its health and safety on the pavement people will fall over the boxes" but really its cos they don't want huge boxes full off bottles on the pavement opposite the conference center making us all look bad!
However we send all our jars, egg boxes, cereal boxes, middles of kitchen roll, small boxes all go to a local school for box modeling and making jam.
We have to cart it all away ourselves. Once/month.

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Recycling numbers from here: our city recycles 4% of our trash!!! It is voluntary and you have to request a recycling bin from the the City, which they will drop off for free. They only take glass, some plastics, newspaper and limited other paper at the curb. Cardboard you have to take somewhere. Our new public works director stated that we have the capability to recycle up to 60-70% of our trash. Waiting to see how they might get anywhere near that.
I am the lone house on our block with recycling bins out at the curb...
Sad...

There is NO recycling here. Absolutely none (other than metal, which fetches a nice price at two local metal recyclers). So I'm tempted to put multiple recycling bins in my rooms to make the city folk feel comfortable, then pitch it all into one bag after they leave.
devil_smile.gif
(that's the current devil emoticon, for what it's worth)

Proud Texan said:
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Recycling numbers from here: our city recycles 4% of our trash!!! It is voluntary and you have to request a recycling bin from the the City, which they will drop off for free. They only take glass, some plastics, newspaper and limited other paper at the curb. Cardboard you have to take somewhere. Our new public works director stated that we have the capability to recycle up to 60-70% of our trash. Waiting to see how they might get anywhere near that.
I am the lone house on our block with recycling bins out at the curb...
Sad...
We can do any bottles, jars, tins, newspapers, paper, cardboard, plastic wrapping - with my friend we do egg boxes and cereal boxes. Our local wholesaler also does plastic wrapping and cardboard boxes so you can drop it off easily there as we have to go twice a week anyway.

There is NO recycling here. Absolutely none (other than metal, which fetches a nice price at two local metal recyclers). So I'm tempted to put multiple recycling bins in my rooms to make the city folk feel comfortable, then pitch it all into one bag after they leave.
devil_smile.gif
(that's the current devil emoticon, for what it's worth).
Wow. City picks up our recycling once a week. They called and offered me a large wheeled box. Others have to use clear plastic bags. We recycle a lot, just no #6 plastic (styrofoam). And the government encourages us to leave a recycling bin in a public area. I have had one or two comments about a "trash" bin being in a public area. We explain, if they ask and then they usually join in and add items. I wish I could get people to flatten their plastic bottles, though.

We have a recycling area in our main town and we can bring in glass, bottles, magazine, newspapers, etc. Our state has a redemption value on plastic soda/water bottles, so DH periodically feeds the plastic bottles & cans into the machines outside the supermarket.
We don't have curb service, so all trash needs to go to recycling, burned or to the dump.

We have a recycling area in our main town and we can bring in glass, bottles, magazine, newspapers, etc. Our state has a redemption value on plastic soda/water bottles, so DH periodically feeds the plastic bottles & cans into the machines outside the supermarket.
We don't have curb service, so all trash needs to go to recycling, burned or to the dump..
We can redeem any drink container except juice boxes and plastic or paper milk cartons. Glass milk bottles are $1.50 refund. 90% redemption rate on the bottles & cans!

So why on earth would anyone think you would have saved that newspaper article?
Now on to the hijack - Recycling FREE? When we lived in town they raised the rate of garbage collection when they added recycling. They said it was more expensive! We all complained to deaf ears!
Where my parents lived, they required everyone to recycle, fined if they found certain items in the trash can (would not have wanted to be the recycling police there, lol) but they only gave a small open container for the recycling and you could not set any more at the curb than could fit.
When we first moved here they recycled, after the buy out of our garbage service 2-3 times ago, the recycling went away. At times our guests separate their recycling from the garbage for me (thanks!) then I just dump it all together.

Back