Why would I keep this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So why on earth would anyone think you would have saved that newspaper article?
Now on to the hijack - Recycling FREE? When we lived in town they raised the rate of garbage collection when they added recycling. They said it was more expensive! We all complained to deaf ears!
Where my parents lived, they required everyone to recycle, fined if they found certain items in the trash can (would not have wanted to be the recycling police there, lol) but they only gave a small open container for the recycling and you could not set any more at the curb than could fit.
When we first moved here they recycled, after the buy out of our garbage service 2-3 times ago, the recycling went away. At times our guests separate their recycling from the garbage for me (thanks!) then I just dump it all together..
Free with trash at the transfer station. Completely free if you use the big container behind the fire station. Weird, but there you go.

So why on earth would anyone think you would have saved that newspaper article?
Now on to the hijack - Recycling FREE? When we lived in town they raised the rate of garbage collection when they added recycling. They said it was more expensive! We all complained to deaf ears!
Where my parents lived, they required everyone to recycle, fined if they found certain items in the trash can (would not have wanted to be the recycling police there, lol) but they only gave a small open container for the recycling and you could not set any more at the curb than could fit.
When we first moved here they recycled, after the buy out of our garbage service 2-3 times ago, the recycling went away. At times our guests separate their recycling from the garbage for me (thanks!) then I just dump it all together..
Our city has the worst and best. We are given blue bags to recycle everything. Glass paper styrofoam plastic and tin and aluminum cans all go in the same blue bag which then goes in the same toter with garbage bags. From there into the same truck that squashes everything together. The trash men at the dump then get to separate everything out.
To think about it grosses me out.

We sort and recycle our own trash, but there's no way I'm sticking my hands (gloved or not) into guest's trash..
Proud Texan said:
We sort and recycle our own trash, but there's no way I'm sticking my hands (gloved or not) into guest's trash.
If we didn't I would be paying $100's to throw away trash each month. Recycle is free. Trash is not. We are careful and don't just 'reach in'. Newspapers, bottles, cans. I don't 'fish'. Just the easy stuff!
Madeleine said:
Proud Texan said:
We sort and recycle our own trash, but there's no way I'm sticking my hands (gloved or not) into guest's trash.
If we didn't I would be paying $100's to throw away trash each month. Recycle is free. Trash is not. We are careful and don't just 'reach in'. Newspapers, bottles, cans. I don't 'fish'. Just the easy stuff!
Recycle is free? Wow. That is terrific, it should be to encourage more of it!
Joey Bloggs said:
Recycle is free? Wow. That is terrific, it should be to encourage more of it!
This town has a lamentable recycling rate compared with the towns next door which range from 30-50%. (We do take back 90% of our bottles, tho! Gotta get that refund.)
Recycling numbers from here: our city recycles 4% of our trash!!! It is voluntary and you have to request a recycling bin from the the City, which they will drop off for free. They only take glass, some plastics, newspaper and limited other paper at the curb. Cardboard you have to take somewhere. Our new public works director stated that we have the capability to recycle up to 60-70% of our trash. Waiting to see how they might get anywhere near that.
I am the lone house on our block with recycling bins out at the curb...
Sad...
We can do any bottles, jars, tins, newspapers, paper, cardboard, plastic wrapping - with my friend we do egg boxes and cereal boxes. Our local wholesaler also does plastic wrapping and cardboard boxes so you can drop it off easily there as we have to go twice a week anyway.
One of our grocery store chains has containers out front for "clean" styrofoam trays & egg cartons, and plastic bags. So, I tote that stuff there when I shop. Other places I've lived, recycling is mandatory, expected, and not a big deal and the municipality saves money by recycling. Here, the landfill is now in jeopardy and people are having an "aha" moment. Like I said earlier, it's going to be really interesting how this city increases that 4% number at all, much less getting it to where it could be.

Back