Why would you do this and why would you fail to mention it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Couple left, very happy! We’ll be back next year! So wonderful!

Their closet door was broken. Fallen off its hinge. ( the kind that attaches to a slide on the top and bottom.). Easy to fix, yet, wouldn’t you mention it?

How did their closet door come off it’s hinge? Because they wrestled the air conditioner out of the closet to set up. The temps here are high of 70 during the day and low 60 s at night. There is a constant sea breeze. It’s not hot.

They are from Virginia. They think it’s still hot. I guess. I don’t know because they never mentioned it.

Icing on the cake. They changed several settings on the tv including setting it to Spanish. They were native English speakers. Took Mr. Beach a bit of time to figure out how to reset everything. Don’t know why.

Some of our A/C units stayed installed all year because they were ‘through the wall’ instead of in the windows. They had insulated covers over them. Many, many times in November we found the covers taken off. Open the frigging window if you want cold air! There’s plenty outside! However, some people need the white noise to sleep and that’s the fastest way to get it.

If you throw the breaker on the AC unit, they can try all they want but they'll never be able to turn it on. Unless of course, they go poking around in your panel - which I wouldn't put past some guests.

If you throw the breaker on the AC unit, they can try all they want but they'll never be able to turn it on. Unless of course, they go poking around in your panel - which I wouldn't put past some guests.
I've been know to do that with the baseboard heat in bathrooms so that they wouldn't get forgotten and left on in the summer time, but my AC unit is also the room heat so not practical to switch that breaker, then again, I just want my guests to enjoy their visit, their choice of heat or AC is their choice.

We have window units in each room AND each room has electric baseboard heating. Guest choice of climate. I from habit, check the thermostat to make sure the eat is off. The A/C noise makes that obvious. While here I just want them happy.

I'm constantly checking thermostats because the housekeepers set the AC to max while they're cleaning , then forget to set it to 75 when they leave...because it's not their money being wasted. I wish I could install thermostats I could check/control from home, but they are not as simple as the "blue arrow colder, red arrow warmer" controls I have now. Must keep it simple for the less tech-savy guests.

Our latest guests set the heat to 75 and open the widows…24/7 for the entire week in their cottage. Sigh….I feel an energy surcharge being added to their bill for their next stay.

Our latest guests set the heat to 75 and open the widows…24/7 for the entire week in their cottage. Sigh….I feel an energy surcharge being added to their bill for their next stay.
You need an override! A thermostat controlled by an app on your phone. That’s ridiculous! (Altho, we’re away at a funeral this weekend and Gomez turned on the A/C in our room when it was 55 degrees outside. Open the window!!!)

I'm constantly checking thermostats because the housekeepers set the AC to max while they're cleaning , then forget to set it to 75 when they leave...because it's not their money being wasted. I wish I could install thermostats I could check/control from home, but they are not as simple as the "blue arrow colder, red arrow warmer" controls I have now. Must keep it simple for the less tech-savy guests.
I got an offer from Entergy to install Smart thermostats that I can control with my phone. You might check with Entergy to see if they can offer that. When the guy arrived to put them in, he couldn't figure out our bizarre system, so he just left. Oh well.

You might check with Entergy to see if they can offer that.
I'm afraid to put in complicated thermostats. Some people will contact me because they can't figure them out (I don't want that, week after week), and others will try to reprogram them and screw things up. Programmable thermostats are great for one's home, but I think they would be a LOT of headaches in guest rooms at an inn. I very much stick with the "keep it simple, stupid" KISS rule.

You need an override! A thermostat controlled by an app on your phone. That’s ridiculous! (Altho, we’re away at a funeral this weekend and Gomez turned on the A/C in our room when it was 55 degrees outside. Open the window!!!)
Funny thing is that we had a maximum of 72 set on the thermostat but they would not stop complaining that they were cold. We tried leaving them comfy throws and turned the heat up in adjoining rooms but…no. They want it warmer and they promise “not to use the AC.” So I increased the maximum temp to 75 which actually provided a temp of 77 in the sitting area. I’m waiting to see what the electric bill for their stay will be. When they come next year they will find our rates have gone up!

If I could shoot all my visitors who open a window in the dead of winter, I would only end up with domestic visitors leaving here, alive.

Back