Why You Always Need a Contingency Fund!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Because there is always something!! We've spent over two thousand dollars since February on three HVAC systems in the two houses. Go next door today to turn on some lights and cool it down because someone is looking at one suite for a longer stay in October. No A/C working. Kill me now........
Keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer that it is something simple!

Got the call this morning... "not good." Rack and pinion, $600 plus alignment.
I told the mechanic, no, "not good" is when your second engine needs replaced. (That's what happened with the last car...)
=)
Kk.

Mentally disabled is probably a better term. The R word is not considered a nice one.
wink_smile.gif
(personal connections)

Got the call this morning... "not good." Rack and pinion, $600 plus alignment.
I told the mechanic, no, "not good" is when your second engine needs replaced. (That's what happened with the last car...)
=)
Kk..
I am ever so grateful I have a built in mechanic for just about everything!!!! It has saved us so much over the years. There is nothing my man can't do or he will at least attempt it
devil_smile.gif

Please have no fear over this. And do not assume anything.
I have 2 sisters who live in a group home. I don't know what we would have done without this option. They have lived in it for gosh It has to be almost 20 years now.
There is no way my 93 year old mother could do this and no way the rest of us could have either. I am so grateful for this option. They love living there, and there is no trouble whatsoever to the neighborhood.
Please don't assume this is a problem. Mentally challenged people are not criminals. Someitme they are physcially challenged as well. They will not be stalking anyone in the streets. They will be cared for and monitored closely.
This group of men, and it will be a very small group are supervised 24 /7. Some may have jobs they go to. If they interact with neighbors on the block, believe me it can be a good thing. Most are kind and loving and enjoy life.
Please let them enjoy their lives in a new home. You can be sure they are excited about it and their families will be greatly relieved as well. Imagine being a parent of a mentally handicapped child who grows to adulthood while you are aging as well. They worry constantly that their child will be taken care of when the time comes they can no longer do it. Wouldn't you want that for your child as well???
These men have the same needs as we do, food, clothing, shelter, and loving care.
heart.gif

P.S. I have actually thought that this might be a good thing for us to do with our home when we sell it.

Samster said:
Because there is always something!! We've spent over two thousand dollars since February on three HVAC systems in the two houses. Go next door today to turn on some lights and cool it down because someone is looking at one suite for a longer stay in October. No A/C working. Kill me now........
I hear ya sistah! Washer & dryer, dishwasher, car repair work, dental bills, heart 'incident' we weren't even thinking about, new snow blower needed this winter and then all the 'little' stuff like new linens.

Samster said:
I hear ya sistah! Washer & dryer, dishwasher, car repair work, dental bills, heart 'incident' we weren't even thinking about, new snow blower needed this winter and then all the 'little' stuff like new linens..
See this is what the aspirings and newbies (like ourselves) don't realize when taking on this biz. You can burn right through your capital with this kind of stuff.
You think you have a new HVAC system and it's going to be good for several years & you have insurance & warranty coverage - lightning strike nearby in your yard! Not even your house...thank goodness for that...but you are out mucho $$$ not covered by either of those!
Then there are a myriad of other things that can come up.
"They" say that you should have a year's income in the bank in readily accessible funds for catastrophic events just in case (not if you're a business owner, just regular folks). We should have at least that with these businesses. But, it's hard to do when you are constantly putting money back into the business for improvements, furniture & fixtures, marketing, and on & on.
I can't wait for Summer to be over...I need guests!!!! haha! (Apologies to all who have Summer as their busy season & don't want it to end!)

Mentally disabled is probably a better term. The R word is not considered a nice one.
wink_smile.gif
(personal connections).
swirt said:
wink_smile.gif
(personal connections)
I am only using the term that is on the zoning application (i have a copy of it right here) the legal owner of the building, Mr (name withheld) representative of Chapter 10 Mental Retardation Group Home.

Got the call this morning...
Well not really it was in our local paper, rezoning for a retarded men's home across the street.
I am on my way to the town office to get more info. Just what we need. Oddly enough the address is on digit off of ours, so it seemed kinda run of the mill for us here in the mentally challenged innkeepers home.

I have 2 sisters who live in a group home. I don't know what we would have done without this option. They have lived in it for gosh It has to be almost 20 years now.
There is no way my 93 year old mother could do this and no way the rest of us could have either. I am so grateful for this option. They love living there, and there is no trouble whatsoever to the neighborhood.
Please don't assume this is a problem. Mentally challenged people are not criminals. Someitme they are physcially challenged as well. They will not be stalking anyone in the streets. They will be cared for and monitored closely.
This group of men, and it will be a very small group are supervised 24 /7. Some may have jobs they go to. If they interact with neighbors on the block, believe me it can be a good thing. Most are kind and loving and enjoy life.
Please let them enjoy their lives in a new home. You can be sure they are excited about it and their families will be greatly relieved as well. Imagine being a parent of a mentally handicapped child who grows to adulthood while you are aging as well. They worry constantly that their child will be taken care of when the time comes they can no longer do it. Wouldn't you want that for your child as well???
These men have the same needs as we do, food, clothing, shelter, and loving care.
heart.gif

P.S. I have actually thought that this might be a good thing for us to do with our home when we sell it..
catlady said:
heart.gif

P.S. I have actually thought that this might be a good thing for us to do with our home when we sell it.
The building is already respite care for mentally handicapped. The clients there scream and yell and come over to our place when they sneak away (about once a week or so) and ask our guests if they can come and sit on the porch with them. There is a men's home two blocks over - they all work at Goodwill Industries here in town. They are very involved in the community.
I don't want this building to be rezoned into R-3 apartments. This is a historic neighborhood, we already have a sex offender in the aprtmt across the street, the more apartments, group homes, the worse it is. If it is a respite day care (as it has been) or a business, then I am just fine with that. Not anything that divides the house up into more and more smaller units. There are plenty of sex offenders in group homes. Many work there in fact. Sorry to sound awful about this, I am not trying to. Just the facts.

Samster said:
I hear ya sistah! Washer & dryer, dishwasher, car repair work, dental bills, heart 'incident' we weren't even thinking about, new snow blower needed this winter and then all the 'little' stuff like new linens..
See this is what the aspirings and newbies (like ourselves) don't realize when taking on this biz. You can burn right through your capital with this kind of stuff.
You think you have a new HVAC system and it's going to be good for several years & you have insurance & warranty coverage - lightning strike nearby in your yard! Not even your house...thank goodness for that...but you are out mucho $$$ not covered by either of those!
"They" say that you should have a year's income in the bank in readily accessible funds for catastrophic events just in case (not if you're a business owner, just regular folks). We should have at least that with these businesses. But, it's hard to do when you are constantly putting money back into the business for improvements, furniture & fixtures, marketing, and on & on.
I can't wait for Summer to be over...I need guests!!!! haha! (Apologies to all who have Summer as their busy season & don't want it to end!)
Last year we had gone right up to the point of ordering the new carpeting for the whole upstairs. Then Dec hit with NO guests. Dec was going to pay for the carpet. Stopped that project right there. We knew better than to get ourselves into that hole.
According to our original calculations, we should have a couple hundred thou in the bank right now. Ha.

Samster said:
Last year we had gone right up to the point of ordering the new carpeting for the whole upstairs. Then Dec hit with NO guests. Dec was going to pay for the carpet. Stopped that project right there. We knew better than to get ourselves into that hole.
According to our original calculations, we should have a couple hundred thou in the bank right now. Ha.
I am looking at ways to economize. First thing to go will be the lawn service that I just hired. I will be back out there with the mower soon
sad_smile.gif
Now, I just need to find that edger.....
I already have the thermostat set at 77F in the house we live in. Any higher than that & I will melt for sure. Next door it's at 80 something with no guests. Much higher than those settings & we won't be able to cool the house down if we get any guests.
We are eating out of the freezer & canned goods.
This is not good.......

Samster said:
Yep it is always something.
I would have much rather spent $12K going to Italy than putting in new heat pumps...but...we do not want to continue to pay outrageous fuel oil bills and we needed to do it for resale value...so that's the way it goes.

Samster said:
I would have much rather spent $12K going to Italy than putting in new heat pumps...but...we do not want to continue to pay outrageous fuel oil bills and we needed to do it for resale value...so that's the way it goes.
See now, that was really a choice on your part. You could have continued with your systems as is since they weren't BROKEN! And yes, I'm shouting about that.
I am a very patient person but I am tired of stuff that doesn't work. And, I am very lucky too as my dh can fix almost anything, but unfortunately he has another job to go to every day. Which if he didn't have that job, we would really be sunk about now. There are only so many hours in a day & I can't run the poor guy ragged...he is going to be 64 this month.

Samster said:
See now, that was really a choice on your part. You could have continued with your systems as is since they weren't BROKEN! And yes, I'm shouting about that.
I am a very patient person but I am tired of stuff that doesn't work. And, I am very lucky too as my dh can fix almost anything, but unfortunately he has another job to go to every day. Which if he didn't have that job, we would really be sunk about now. There are only so many hours in a day & I can't run the poor guy ragged...he is going to be 64 this month.
Yes, but we know the price will only go up and we intend to sell in a few years. We know buyers would be turned off by a 50 year old oil burner and would want to take that amount off the price of the house. So this way, they now will have up to date efficient equipment and a back up system that will work too.:)
We'll see what it gets us in a few years:)

Samster said:
I am looking at ways to economize. First thing to go will be the lawn service that I just hired. I will be back out there with the mower soon
sad_smile.gif
I already have the thermostat set at 77F in the house we live in. Any higher than that & I will melt for sure. Next door it's at 80 something with no guests. Much higher than those settings & we won't be able to cool the house down if we get any guests.
This is not good.......
I did not get to make the choice. My "lawn service" was a high school kid that I believe I paid rather well - $25 to mow, weed eat, and trim hedges - we are on a city lot and most of it is taken up by the house and I supplied the tools. He was supposed to come every couple weeks. Today, on top of everything else I had to get done, I was out with the mower. It has been almost a month! Saved $25 but I would MUCH rather have paid it. August is looking like January for me. I am still busy - cannot figure out why, it just seems to crop up each day - just not with guests. Tonight is the #6 room night of the month and the second one that is paid! Hooray for Sept & Oct.

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
This is not good.......
I did not get to make the choice. My "lawn service" was a high school kid that I believe I paid rather well - $25 to mow, weed eat, and trim hedges - we are on a city lot and most of it is taken up by the house and I supplied the tools. He was supposed to come every couple weeks. Today, on top of everything else I had to get done, I was out with the mower. It has been almost a month! Saved $25 but I would MUCH rather have paid it. August is looking like January for me. I am still busy - cannot figure out why, it just seems to crop up each day - just not with guests. Tonight is the #6 room night of the month and the second one that is paid! Hooray for Sept & Oct.
gillumhouse said:
You've had 6 room nights booked in Aug so far? This is not bragging, this is why I'm so tired right now...I have had 91 to date. Out of a possible 105.
BTW, thank the mystery woman...I got the card. Or, if the mystery woman is on the forum...Thanks! I got the card and I appreciate the thoughts!

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
This is not good.......
gillumhouse said:
You've had 6 room nights booked in Aug so far? This is not bragging, this is why I'm so tired right now...I have had 91 to date. Out of a possible 105.
BTW, thank the mystery woman...I got the card. Or, if the mystery woman is on the forum...Thanks! I got the card and I appreciate the thoughts!
Yes 4 of them were a donation to the City and the day before it was to happen I got a call for 2 rooms for 2 nights - PAID!! Kill me why don't you? Yes, I am dying in August - bills as you know do not quit. This is the second paid room night this month and unless the phone rings, the last. At least with 91 room nights - even with the pee and PITA crowd, the bank account would be OK were it not for washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc.... Fortunately we have a rebound in Sept & Oct. to set us up for winter. Have 2 room nights still on the books this month - freebie. Come on phone - RING!!

Samster said:
sad_smile.gif
This is not good.......
gillumhouse said:
Just keep rubbing salt in the wound, why don't ya?? j/k
Seriously, 4 room nights in August so far at the beginning of the month. That may pay the utilities for the second house. Come on, guests!!!
But here is my silver lining of the day....the A/C is still working, I just found that another wonderful review was posted somewhere (I can't figure out where it was posted yet but it appears on Google business when you search on B&Bs for my city), and we moved up to #2 on TripAdvisor. Yay!!
teeth_smile.gif

We are going to the baseball game tonight & having a hot dog and a beer to celebrate. haha!

Samster said:
Yes, but we know the price will only go up and we intend to sell in a few years. We know buyers would be turned off by a 50 year old oil burner and would want to take that amount off the price of the house. So this way, they now will have up to date efficient equipment and a back up system that will work too.:)
We'll see what it gets us in a few years:)
Oh, I agree that it was a smart thing to do & a good investment. It just is easier to lay out all that dinero when you choose to do it & not because something breaks!! If you know what I mean.... It's especially aggravating when you keep everything up and you have replaced stuff with new, efficient state of the art stuff & it breaks. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! Rant over....
teeth_smile.gif

There are many worse things that can happen of course...I'm just in a bad mood over this kind of stuff today.
Hey, I haven't had to replace a pee soaked mattress....yet. haha! Hats off to Bree!
And, I don't have to repair stuff in small spaces on a boat
wink_smile.gif
Kudos to Miami!

Back