Why You Should Market to Millennials

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my Gen Y kids have a plan, they occassionally induldge in a video game, but no one is standing in line at b est b uy at 4 am waiting for the next new release of whatever is hot that week.
College degrees, or college bound with an eye towards a specific career. They say please and thank you. They understand the value of the outdoors, volunteering, and most importantly it is the journey and not always the destination.
Yes they text, they even text me from inside the house. But even with their ADD and other mild OCD tendancies (they all sort their money in their wallets, not just by denomination but by serial number when time permits, odd little things with the remote controls, folding clothes a particular way), they all are able to have a conversation, make eye contact, and often are more comfortable in the company of a person 15 to 30 years their senior.
So I do agree many of that group are impatient, self centered, and rather shallow, but just as many are well rounded individuals with a great deal to contribute to a conversation.
I for one will market to them, as they are the ones with cash more often than not, the concept of planning for their future and paying for their kids college educations has not fully hit them yet. They (imvho) like to try new things, experience new places, and staying at a B & B - with or without doilies - is right up their alley..
I will say that same daughter DID stand in line at a bookstore at midnight for the next Harry Potter book.
I'm sure they all would text me if I had a cellphone! They IM when they see me online. I'd rather that than not knowing what's going on.
I stood in line! however was working reception shifts and didn't finish till 11.30 just stayed in the hotel which was round the corner from the book shop and nipped out to buy it before I went home!

Update: She fought the $50 late check-out fee, and it was a chargeback from our cc processor.
I saw it on my bank account and called the processor and they said you will get a notice in the mail. I got it 2 weeks later and it said you have by June 6 to reply with evidence, etc. It WAS JUNE 6 when I opened it.
It is one of those how much stuffing around is worth it for $50?
I just checked our bank account and saw we were reinstated the $50 by the credit card processor! SCORE ONE FOR INNKEEPERS!
cheers.gif

PS Lesson learned from this experience: If you no show for breakfast, don't EVEN think you are going to check out late. Now of course people do, but if you stiff me I will stiff you, so you better not mess with Texas!
Stick to your policies, first HAVE THEM IN PLACE and make sure the guest has signed that they have agreed to them, whether online or in person. Now I await this person on TA...

Update: She fought the $50 late check-out fee, and it was a chargeback from our cc processor.
I saw it on my bank account and called the processor and they said you will get a notice in the mail. I got it 2 weeks later and it said you have by June 6 to reply with evidence, etc. It WAS JUNE 6 when I opened it.
I just checked our bank account and saw we were reinstated the $50 by the credit card processor! SCORE ONE FOR INNKEEPERS!
cheers.gif

PS Lesson learned from this experience: If you no show for breakfast, don't EVEN think you are going to check out late. Now of course people do, but if you stiff me I will stiff you, so you better not mess with Texas!
Stick to your policies, first HAVE THEM IN PLACE and make sure the guest has signed that they have agreed to them, whether online or in person. Now I await this person on TA....
EXCELLENT!! Good for you for sticking with your policies. As far as TA goes, I can relate. I've been checking it twice a day for a month because of 3 difficult episodes. So far so good! Hopefully your problem child will just go away! Even if there's a bad review, you'll be able to respond that the cc company sided with you.

cheers.gif

Stick to your policies, first HAVE THEM IN PLACE and make sure the guest has signed that they have agreed to them, whether online or in person. Now I await this person on TA....
But you can get in the last word..you were right and the ccc backed YOU :)!!!!
YEAH!

cheers.gif

Good for you, JB, for sticking to your policies!!!

Back