why?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldcharm

Reaction score
I have recently discovered this forum and it has been wonderfully helpful and refreshing. Thank you to all of those who have helped answer many of my questions, even if some of them may seem silly.
Sadly, some of the members on here seem rather... harsh or mean. (Surpising as we all are in the hospitality industry.) I've noticed in some of my posts and posts of others, people are quick to say... 'this has already been discussed, just do a search for it.' Maybe it's just me, but I'm surprised to get this response. I love seeing all the questions and thoughts even if some are similar or repeats.
It seems we talk about sheets, breakfast and bathroom odors more than anyone else, but that's what we live each day, every day. I suppose we all have different ways of asking things that may make something more personal to us...i think each topic brings out something new or special. I don't think it's 'kind' to be simply refered somewhere else. It seems to be the opposite of what this forum should be about.
I have worked in the hospitality buisness for years, even have a degree in it... but being an innkeeper is new to me. I have questions, hunderds of questions and I'm so happy I found this forum. I hope those of you that have been doing this for a while can remember their 'first years' as innkeepers. This forum is important and helpful...and although it may be 'easier' to refer someone somewhere else, please resist the urge to do so.
Thanks!!

Sorry you didn't like my response. It was not meant to be harsh. See that is the problem with just reading....some times you take it the wrong way.
The information has been posted here and I think folks should take some time to read what is here already before asking the same questions.

OldCharm, while I have not done so myself, I can understand why some responses have directed the person to past threads for some information. Our members do come and go and many who have 'gone' provided some insite that could be forgotten this time around. This does not mean that the NEW thread must be closed, it is up to each of us to decide if we want or can add to the currect discussion and some issues HAVE been around time and time again.
It would be (IMMHO) nice if those individuals that direct posters to old threads would provide some links to those threads to get them started (and SOME do - thank you!!!)
Regarding being harsh or mean....being from the deep south, I understand where you are coming from, but it is sometimes difficult to determine when someone is being harsh when they are writing...it could be they are just wanting to 'get to the point' of their thoughts which could lead them to be 'not so sweet' in their message. We are all different. with different personallities and ways to express ourselves. I have gotten my feelings hurt or thought WOW I can't believe what I just read...but for the most part the words are just that and nothing personal is ment by them. I have constantly reminded myself that I can just brush off those bad vibes just like I do when guests are not ideal...they soon depart, and with this forum you can decide to just 'ignore user' if that you find one to always give you a not so good feeling.

There are soooo many posts here... someone trying to research a topic has to wade through weather reports, vents, rants, digressions of all sorts. With a constant influx of new members, new opinions, and new resources it doesn't hurt to ask the same questions again... you might get the same answer as before, or you might not.
I asked the same question twice, myself. Once last year, then again this year, on rack cards. I got different answers both times, and all were helpful.
I'm near the end of my busy season and have been barely keeping my head above water, let alone keeping up with this forum. If I had a question I wanted a quick answer to, I'd simply ask it, even though I know it's been covered at some point in the past. (By now, there's very little that hasn't been touched on at least briefly!)
Yes, go read back threads, but IMHO, ask away!
=)
Kk.

Especially when the topics were discussed in detail a week ago. I personally won't repost comments I made that recently, so pointing a new person to the previous discussions is one way for that person to find out what's already been said. If they want to. You're certainly welcome to only solicit new comments if you wish, but don't be surprised when you don't get as many responses. I'm not apologizing for posting the links for others who care to do a little research. It takes some time to research and enter the links and it was not done to be 'easier' - it's just not as repetitive.

Especially when the topics were discussed in detail a week ago. I personally won't repost comments I made that recently, so pointing a new person to the previous discussions is one way for that person to find out what's already been said. If they want to. You're certainly welcome to only solicit new comments if you wish, but don't be surprised when you don't get as many responses. I'm not apologizing for posting the links for others who care to do a little research. It takes some time to research and enter the links and it was not done to be 'easier' - it's just not as repetitive..
You see, I think that if someone new is coming to this forum, they owe it to themselves to at least look over the topics that have been discussed previously. This way they have a feel for what has taken place. Then if they still have questions, for sure post it.

Especially when the topics were discussed in detail a week ago. I personally won't repost comments I made that recently, so pointing a new person to the previous discussions is one way for that person to find out what's already been said. If they want to. You're certainly welcome to only solicit new comments if you wish, but don't be surprised when you don't get as many responses. I'm not apologizing for posting the links for others who care to do a little research. It takes some time to research and enter the links and it was not done to be 'easier' - it's just not as repetitive..
You see, I think that if someone new is coming to this forum, they owe it to themselves to at least look over the topics that have been discussed previously. This way they have a feel for what has taken place. Then if they still have questions, for sure post it.
I agree with you, to a certain extent. If the topics were just recently discussed, they can be seen very easily on the first page of search results - not doing that little bit of research is kind of a slap in the face to people who have spent time responding to previously posted questions. When the topics get old, it is harder to find them in the search results, and things may have changed. Asking again is not such a big deal.
From my own personal perspective, it's really a slap in the face to then call a poster 'mean' because s/he does point you to a recent thread on the same topic.

In theory it would be good if everyone could read all the old threads first. However, this site now has more than 4000 nodes (this thread is #4225) so it is probably unlikely that people can read them all and still remember the question they want to ask.
It is always good though if we know something has been discussed before, to have someone suggest digging further. There is no problem with brining up the topic again either in the old thread or in a new one.
As Muirford mentioned, if it is something from only a month or two back, it is not something that many of the regulars are going to spend a lot of additional time re-typing so a reference to the old threads is good. As Copperhead wisely points out though, the active members on this forum change with time so asking the question again can elicit different answers than were received before.
The search box in the upper right is not always perfect at digging for answers, but sometimes it can be a good place to start too. (not good for generic things like "towels," good thing for more specific searches like "rust stains")

Some of the older posts have pages and pages of information from a couple dozen innkeepers +. Pointing you to another thread is being HELPFUL, not mean. Someone is letting you know there is a ton of info already on the subject.
We can't all sugar coat all of our responses, most are busy and are on here when the phone rings or taking bookings. Please understand that. You will, in time, learn to appreciate the shorter to the point replies vs the diatribes that go on and on which you will SKIM, trust me. We try to say more than we need to when newbies arrive on the forum, but cut to the chase if someone asks a simple question - a simple answer.
See that was way too wordy right there....
regular_smile.gif

Just a fyi regarding searching the forum, it took me awhile before I even realized that the search button would only search here, it reads in the box: "Google Custom Search" so I thought it would go out and search for my question on google.....so i didn't use it for the longest time
embaressed_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Sorry you feel this way, Old Charm. Like Muirford, if a particular topic has been talked about to death and more importantly if there's been a lot on it recently, I won't even bother to post a reply. As we get more participants in the forum, there are more threads every day and it takes a certain amount of time to wade through that and deal with the most current topics. Some people are just busy, and their replies are concise, not necessarily meant to be rude or harsh. Hard to communicate that in an electronic forum. :-(

poor oldcharm...
I think you are just trying to be helpful. :( everyone makes a great point. I guess the written word will never be as easily understood as the spoken word.

poor oldcharm...
I think you are just trying to be helpful. :( everyone makes a great point. I guess the written word will never be as easily understood as the spoken word..
yeah it would be great if all of us were on say SKYPE and we could see each other and just chat away! That would make for some interesting conversations......however, with innkeepers, it would probably be hard to get a word in edgewise. Get a group of innkeepers in the same room and watch out..we are all conversation grabbers.
cheers.gif

poor oldcharm...
I think you are just trying to be helpful. :( everyone makes a great point. I guess the written word will never be as easily understood as the spoken word..
yeah it would be great if all of us were on say SKYPE and we could see each other and just chat away! That would make for some interesting conversations......however, with innkeepers, it would probably be hard to get a word in edgewise. Get a group of innkeepers in the same room and watch out..we are all conversation grabbers.
cheers.gif

well said catlady, well said. :)

Old Charm,
The question you asked when you got the "look it up" response had been a very recent one which was hotly debated, very lengthy and at times a little brutal.
Frankly, when I read your post I thought "oh no, not again". Not because the question wasn't valid, but we'd finally gotten to the place where calm was reinstated regarding that topic.
Please don't take stuff like that personally around here. I don't know how long you "lurked" before posting, but for all you newbies, it's a good idea to either read a lot of old threads, or "lurk" for awhile to get the lay of the land.

I would also suggest when reading posts about one thread that you read the entire thread. We have a (slight?) tendency to go off at a tangent in the middle of a thread, just as happens in a good conversation. Something said triggers another thought or question and off we goooooo. Sometime it starts another thread and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes we are short of time and think the one word we posted to an either or question - both - would anser the question and it doesn't. See we are not mindreaders (much as sometimes it would help, but for the most part is a thank goodness we cannot) so cannot board the train of thought of the questioner or the responder.
Hang here and you will be bruised, abused, and most importantly ENLIGHTENED!

ah, first time i got that answer was on another forum 'we've already discussed this at lenght, please search the old posts' .... but i was new to the forum and didn't even know how to do the search. and i felt bad.
i don't think my post to you was harsh or mean, but i have no opinion about paii since i haven't been a member in a long time. were you able to find the thread and read it? it was a very spirited discussion!
all different types of personalities here ~

Just a fyi regarding searching the forum, it took me awhile before I even realized that the search button would only search here, it reads in the box: "Google Custom Search" so I thought it would go out and search for my question on google.....so i didn't use it for the longest time
embaressed_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl said:
embaressed_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
Good point. That is google branding for you. ;) Yes it only searches THIS site and the articles I have on inngenious.com . The only things that aren't on this site in the search listings are the ads that show up, those will take you off-site.

embaressed_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
ditto on the search box.

ah, first time i got that answer was on another forum 'we've already discussed this at lenght, please search the old posts' .... but i was new to the forum and didn't even know how to do the search. and i felt bad.
i don't think my post to you was harsh or mean, but i have no opinion about paii since i haven't been a member in a long time. were you able to find the thread and read it? it was a very spirited discussion!
all different types of personalities here ~.
oldcharm...there can be meaness here, and it hurts too. But i have found it is best to get a little tougher skin and hang in here, because the benefits of this forum over the other one where everyone is identified and afraid to speak their mind far outweighs the occasional hurt feelings. Really - it does. There are some real gems here, the people and the answers!

Back