why?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially when the topics were discussed in detail a week ago. I personally won't repost comments I made that recently, so pointing a new person to the previous discussions is one way for that person to find out what's already been said. If they want to. You're certainly welcome to only solicit new comments if you wish, but don't be surprised when you don't get as many responses. I'm not apologizing for posting the links for others who care to do a little research. It takes some time to research and enter the links and it was not done to be 'easier' - it's just not as repetitive..
You see, I think that if someone new is coming to this forum, they owe it to themselves to at least look over the topics that have been discussed previously. This way they have a feel for what has taken place. Then if they still have questions, for sure post it.
I have to come clean and say that I rarely go back and look at old threads. Some are so confusing that you can't find the reference, others have been hijacked- often in a good way- and still others are full of innkeeperisms (whatever the heck I meant by that)
If I see a thread that asks something I responded to yesterday, I just don't respond, but I do prefer the forum to be wide open. If I have a question, I ask it. If others have questions, I hope they ask it.
There are exceptions- like some of the stuff Swirt and others have shared about SEO- and I will usually print it out if I think it has that kind of value.
To go a bit further, what I REALLY like about this forum is that it resists the temptation to become a chat room or a club. Day 1 or Day 1000- it is a place to learn and share information. I want to learn, share, and grow our business. This forum helps me do that and here I am.
I just can't see any reason not to be nice on this forum.
Yours truly
Pollyanna all day

Just a fyi regarding searching the forum, it took me awhile before I even realized that the search button would only search here, it reads in the box: "Google Custom Search" so I thought it would go out and search for my question on google.....so i didn't use it for the longest time
embaressed_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
ditto on the search box.
aieechihuahua said:
ditto on the search box.
That makes 3 of us...
confused_smile.gif

ah, first time i got that answer was on another forum 'we've already discussed this at lenght, please search the old posts' .... but i was new to the forum and didn't even know how to do the search. and i felt bad.
i don't think my post to you was harsh or mean, but i have no opinion about paii since i haven't been a member in a long time. were you able to find the thread and read it? it was a very spirited discussion!
all different types of personalities here ~.
oldcharm...there can be meaness here, and it hurts too. But i have found it is best to get a little tougher skin and hang in here, because the benefits of this forum over the other one where everyone is identified and afraid to speak their mind far outweighs the occasional hurt feelings. Really - it does. There are some real gems here, the people and the answers!
I am truly sorry if some perceive meanness here - ever. I agree that sometimes answers are a bit, shall we say short, if it seems there is misinformation or self-serving under the guise of information. MY perception of what is the mission of this Forum and those who have been dubbed The Wise Ones is to be of help to each other and to Aspirings & Newbies and that group does everything possible to protect from misinformation or that which could do harm. I do not believe anyone says anything in meanness - sometimes a tongue in cheek or off the cuff remark in the mind of the poster is read VERY differently by someone who was really not even the person being addressed but thinks they ARE.

I would also suggest when reading posts about one thread that you read the entire thread. We have a (slight?) tendency to go off at a tangent in the middle of a thread, just as happens in a good conversation. Something said triggers another thought or question and off we goooooo. Sometime it starts another thread and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes we are short of time and think the one word we posted to an either or question - both - would anser the question and it doesn't. See we are not mindreaders (much as sometimes it would help, but for the most part is a thank goodness we cannot) so cannot board the train of thought of the questioner or the responder.
Hang here and you will be bruised, abused, and most importantly ENLIGHTENED!.
gillumhouse said:
I would also suggest when reading posts about one thread that you read the entire thread. We have a (slight?) tendency to go off at a tangent in the middle of a thread, just as happens in a good conversation. Something said triggers another thought or question and off we goooooo. Sometime it starts another thread and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes we are short of time and think the one word we posted to an either or question - both - would anser the question and it doesn't. See we are not mindreaders (much as sometimes it would help, but for the most part is a thank goodness we cannot) so cannot board the train of thought of the questioner or the responder.
Hang here and you will be bruised, abused, and most importantly ENLIGHTENED!
When I read this GH, I got this Mrs. Doubtfire fashback: " Some families have one mommy, some families have one daddy, or two families. And some children live with their uncle or aunt.... But if there's love, dear... those are the ties that bind, and you'll have a family in your heart, forever. All my love to you poppit, you're going to be alright... bye bye."
There is love here too...with great emotions sometime on some topics... hopefully you leave each a little more enlightened and less feeling you are alone in the world.

Hang here and you will be bruised, abused, and most importantly ENLIGHTENED!.
gillumhouse said:
Sometimes we are short of time and think the one word we posted to an either or question - both - would anser the question and it doesn't. See we are not mindreaders (much as sometimes it would help, but for the most part is a thank goodness we cannot) so cannot board the train of thought of the questioner or the responder.
Hang here and you will be bruised, abused, and most importantly ENLIGHTENED!
I could accept the first statement easier if some folks weren't on here for so many hours a day appearing to be compelled to weigh in on every single topic discussed including the redundant ones that seem to have raised the ire of a few.
There is no rule against NOT weighing in one a thread if you find it redundant or if its been well covered ground.
The "hang here" type comment which I've seen posted every time a newbie innocently raises some issue with folks is exactly the gist of what I believe oldcharm was driving at.
This forum isn't some boot camp for innkeepers where their mettle must be tested before they are accepted or "pass" the test to where their opinions are respected and their questions or issues aren't regarded as important as the regulars are.
As far as enlightenment goes, its a highly overrated concept in this forum's context and the inferred, self-attributed superiority of those offering it is the pinnacle of arrogance. Each and every one of us could and probably has some portion of our operation as innkeepers that could be torn apart and critiqued by others.

ah, first time i got that answer was on another forum 'we've already discussed this at lenght, please search the old posts' .... but i was new to the forum and didn't even know how to do the search. and i felt bad.
i don't think my post to you was harsh or mean, but i have no opinion about paii since i haven't been a member in a long time. were you able to find the thread and read it? it was a very spirited discussion!
oldcharm...there can be meaness here, and it hurts too. But i have found it is best to get a little tougher skin and hang in here, because the benefits of this forum over the other one where everyone is identified and afraid to speak their mind far outweighs the occasional hurt feelings. Really - it does. There are some real gems here, the people and the answers!
I am truly sorry if some perceive meanness here - ever. I agree that sometimes answers are a bit, shall we say short, if it seems there is misinformation or self-serving under the guise of information. MY perception of what is the mission of this Forum and those who have been dubbed The Wise Ones is to be of help to each other and to Aspirings & Newbies and that group does everything possible to protect from misinformation or that which could do harm. I do not believe anyone says anything in meanness - sometimes a tongue in cheek or off the cuff remark in the mind of the poster is read VERY differently by someone who was really not even the person being addressed but thinks they ARE.
Many of us have been here long enough to pick up on the nuances of our varying personalities. We have everything from sweetie pies like Sea Shanty to caustic old men with rough senses of humor like me.
That being said, ALWAYS take everything with a grain of salt and NEVER take anything personally. There are as many ways of expression here as there are individuals. Some are diplomatic and others say what they think. It's mostly never personal unless there is a verbal attack on a member.
BUT, it's always educational. I value my friendships here. That's what keeps me coming back.

Many of us have been here long enough to pick up on the nuances of our varying personalities. We have everything from sweetie pies like Sea Shanty to caustic old men with rough senses of humor like me.
That being said, ALWAYS take everything with a grain of salt and NEVER take anything personally. There are as many ways of expression here as there are individuals. Some are diplomatic and others say what they think. It's mostly never personal unless there is a verbal attack on a member.
BUT, it's always educational. I value my friendships here. That's what keeps me coming back.
Well said Texan, well said.

As my grandpa used to say:
Being charged by a bull does not leave you much room for Diplomacy..
The Farmers Daughter said:
Being charged by a bull does not leave you much room for Diplomacy.
If you enter in to a bull pen voluntarily then don't complain if you get charged.
Proud Texan said:
If you enter in to a bull pen voluntarily then don't complain if you get charged.
That's one charge that never gets disputed.
498862.gif

Being charged by a bull does not leave you much room for Diplomacy..
Proud Texan said:
498862.gif

Proud Texan said:
498862.gif
That's cuz charge backs are a bitch.

Back