Wi-Fi question from Bwater dummie !

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Comcast installed Wi-Fi 2 wks ago but guest still can not get on/use it. Had Comcast back yesterday,they say its OK.Asked the service man to use his lap top to go check the Wi-Fi out in one of the rooms, they dont carry a lap top with them. I know NOTHING about computers or Wi-Fi. I've given guest the sing on name for my B&B Wi-Fi, still nothing.except they say thay can see its here.Guest in the Innsuite last night and tonite still have not got on the Wi-Fi.What is the secret ? Got any ideas for me ? HELP !! Mary in Bridgewater

At this point we would just be guessing but try the sign on password in lower, upper and mixed case.

Thinking further, You should have two different passwords. One for you to edit the settings in your router and the second to give to your guests. make sure you are giving them the correct one. You might not be comfortable doing this, but to check what password was set for your guests, just type in the IP address for your router in the address bar of your web browser. Linksys routers, for example, use 192.168.1.1http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/g/192_168_1_1_def.htm for their internal IP address. D-Link and Netgear routers typically use 192.168.0.1. Some US Robotics routers use 192.168.123.254, and some SMC routers use 192.168.2.1. No matter the brand of router, its default internal IP address should be provided in documentation. Type the series of numbers over where it says http://www... in the address bar and hit enter. Most of the time the login name for a router is a"admin" and then your password. When it opens up, look around and find the password that was set for your guests to use. I would not change or save anything but it is safe to look around. Good luck

Do you know someone who can help you with this? A friend with a laptop who can test it out? What we've had here are guests who don't know how to use their laptops outside the office setting but we've been able to help them connect (or not if their laptops are blocked).
If you are not using the WiFi yourself then you really can't help them because you don't know if it is really working or not.
You said you gave them the name they should look for, is there a 'padlock' next to the name indicating they need a password? If so, you need to know what the passphrase is. If there isn't and the guest still can't get access it may not be your WiFi that is the problem, it may be their laptop trying to auto connect to their home WiFi network.

Call the service guy back and tell him it isn't working. If you paid for it...then is should work properly. Get someone's laptop so you'll have something he can check it on.

Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
Had Comcast back yesterday,they say its OK.Asked the service man to use his lap top to go check the Wi-Fi out in one of the rooms, they dont carry a lap top with them.
How can they know it's working if they have not tested it?

I'd like to know how the Comcast guys know the WiFi is working without signing on via your wireless network? hmmmmmm.... Can you access your wireless network yourself?
Sometimes folks with Macs had trouble with our WiFi simply because they didn't know which "key" to pick on their airport. If they totally can't sign on and the network is working, perhaps your guests are typing in the network key wrong.
Good luck!

I'd like to know how the Comcast guys know the WiFi is working without signing on via your wireless network? hmmmmmm.... Can you access your wireless network yourself?
Sometimes folks with Macs had trouble with our WiFi simply because they didn't know which "key" to pick on their airport. If they totally can't sign on and the network is working, perhaps your guests are typing in the network key wrong.
Good luck!.
Thank you all (printed this all out) I will see if I can get someone here to help.Son in law 1st, then a friend with a lap top or Comcast w/lap top.I'll share this printout(your ideas) with them.Thanks...Mary in Bridgewater.

I would be cautious of pressuring Comcast too hard. If they decide they are doing more than troubleshooting a "home install" then they may bump you up to paying "business class" which is usually quite a bit more expensive.
Exhaust your options with family and friends first.
Also as a matter of general advice for anyone, don't pay your service provider for wi-fi. They will likely charge you a monthly fee for it on top of your high-speed. It is preferable to just pay for the high speed which gives you a the highspeed modem, then purchase on your own a wireless router. That way it is a one shot payment and you aren't paying for it month after month. (Last time I checked TImeWarner in our area was charging an additional $9.99 for wireless router rental ... that would pay for your own in a matter of 4-5 months.)

Good luck!.
Thank you all (printed this all out) I will see if I can get someone here to help.Son in law 1st, then a friend with a lap top or Comcast w/lap top.I'll share this printout(your ideas) with them.Thanks...Mary in Bridgewater.
It also might help to determine which security protocol, if any, is in use on the wireless router (WEP, WPA, WPA2) as well as which wireless standards are supported by the router (802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, ...).

I would be cautious of pressuring Comcast too hard. If they decide they are doing more than troubleshooting a "home install" then they may bump you up to paying "business class" which is usually quite a bit more expensive.
Also as a matter of general advice for anyone, don't pay your service provider for wi-fi. They will likely charge you a monthly fee for it on top of your high-speed. It is preferable to just pay for the high speed which gives you a the highspeed modem, then purchase on your own a wireless router. That way it is a one shot payment and you aren't paying for it month after month. (Last time I checked TImeWarner in our area was charging an additional $9.99 for wireless router rental ... that would pay for your own in a matter of 4-5 months.).
Swirt...I did puchase a wi-fi ($80 or$85.00 from Wal Mart) but the Comcast guy said it was not going to last but 1 yr and to purchase theyre rotor.I did and I now have problems. Yes they said I have to pay $19.99 a month then it goes up at 6 mo., but I still do not have wi-fi . In a big jam here in Bwater..Mary

Also as a matter of general advice for anyone, don't pay your service provider for wi-fi. They will likely charge you a monthly fee for it on top of your high-speed. It is preferable to just pay for the high speed which gives you a the highspeed modem, then purchase on your own a wireless router. That way it is a one shot payment and you aren't paying for it month after month. (Last time I checked TImeWarner in our area was charging an additional $9.99 for wireless router rental ... that would pay for your own in a matter of 4-5 months.).
Swirt...I did puchase a wi-fi ($80 or$85.00 from Wal Mart) but the Comcast guy said it was not going to last but 1 yr and to purchase theyre rotor.I did and I now have problems. Yes they said I have to pay $19.99 a month then it goes up at 6 mo., but I still do not have wi-fi . In a big jam here in Bwater..Mary
If you have high speed internet connection..that is all you should need.
Comcast is pulling your chain making you think you have to have their router and pay for it monthly. But now...they know you are a business...so who knows if you can get out of it or not. Too bad you just didn't sign up for high speed for yourself.
Buy a LINkSYS router at Walmart and set it up yourself. You probably wouldn't have had all these issues you now have to deal with. And, it would last... and even if it didn't with what you have to pay them...you could buy another one :-(

Comcast is pulling your chain making you think you have to have their router and pay for it monthly. But now...they know you are a business...so who knows if you can get out of it or not. Too bad you just didn't sign up for high speed for yourself.
Buy a LINkSYS router at Walmart and set it up yourself. You probably wouldn't have had all these issues you now have to deal with. And, it would last... and even if it didn't with what you have to pay them...you could buy another one :-(
Did you read my heading comment, its true.I can answer e-mails but do get the computer thing at all and cut and paste is something I did elementary school.I do have lots of other talents but not this thing Iam typing on now....tis the truth..Mary in Bwater.

Did you read my heading comment, its true.I can answer e-mails but do get the computer thing at all and cut and paste is something I did elementary school.I do have lots of other talents but not this thing Iam typing on now....tis the truth..Mary in Bwater.
It is the "Geek Speak" thing. ;-) Best of luck in figuring this out. If you get someone to help you, I hope that you can get out from under having the cable company rent you any equipment. We all had to learn how this WiFi works!

Mary, can I suggest that you call up a local computer company (not one of the mega stores) and have someone come out to your place to figure things out for you. I'm fairly tech savvy, but this is what I did. It's also great to have a specific local person to call if I'm having any problems with my system.
If you already have purchased a wi-fi router, try to call comcast to take theirs back and stop paying for their router. Just tell them you've changed your mind and don't want wi-fi. If you can do that, you can get this independent person to set up your system.
Best of luck.

Mary, can I suggest that you call up a local computer company (not one of the mega stores) and have someone come out to your place to figure things out for you. I'm fairly tech savvy, but this is what I did. It's also great to have a specific local person to call if I'm having any problems with my system.
If you already have purchased a wi-fi router, try to call comcast to take theirs back and stop paying for their router. Just tell them you've changed your mind and don't want wi-fi. If you can do that, you can get this independent person to set up your system.
Best of luck.
I bet there is some computer geek at the nearby college who would love to help her out ;-) once she gets rid of the COMCAST stuff.

Best of luck.
I bet there is some computer geek at the nearby college who would love to help her out ;-) once she gets rid of the COMCAST stuff.
Ditto.

I have a Lynksys router. I had to have a computer company come in to get mine working. HE had to call Verizon and work with their Help Desk to get me working - firewalls was part of the problem. Also guests with Vista have to set up a network on their laptop to access my WiFi. I just have to give them the password.

Best of luck.
Ditto.
Good ideas. I'll get someone here to hopefully install my router....Comcast will probably get their panties in a wad over this...we will see...Mary in Bwater.

Best of luck.
Ditto.
Good ideas. I'll get someone here to hopefully install my router....Comcast will probably get their panties in a wad over this...we will see...Mary in Bwater.
It could be firewalls conflicting.

Back