WiFi problem

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're using a Linksys router, but I have connected via ethernet to a Ubiquiti Power Station. It looks like a TV tray mounted on the side of the house, but I can broadcast a strong wi-fi signal all the way to our cottages 300 feet away. It's line of site, so I don't have to worry about anyone hacking into our network because we are set smack in the middle of the woods and 1/4 of mile away from ther main road..
Proud Texan said:
We're using a Linksys router, but I have connected via ethernet to a Ubiquiti Power Station. It looks like a TV tray mounted on the side of the house, but I can broadcast a strong wi-fi signal all the way to our cottages 300 feet away. It's line of site, so I don't have to worry about anyone hacking into our network because we are set smack in the middle of the woods and 1/4 of mile away from ther main road.
I do not know if you guys jinxed me or gave me insight to my problem yesterday. Suddenly I had no Internet. This morning still no Internet. Problem is there is no way to tell if it is provider or me. I am sent the right guests at the right time. Current guest checked what was happening with the system (I know better than to do that because I do not know what I am lookng at) and he took the modem straight thru the PC and I am back again. He said I should try reconnecting the Lynksis later because sometimes that fixes it (disconnect for a while). IF that does not work, any suggestions on what to replace the router with (brand or whatever - I think i just lost a 2-room because my WiFi is currently down.
Some of the better DLink models have guest zones, so you can seperate that network with a different password and not on your network.

We're using a Linksys router, but I have connected via ethernet to a Ubiquiti Power Station. It looks like a TV tray mounted on the side of the house, but I can broadcast a strong wi-fi signal all the way to our cottages 300 feet away. It's line of site, so I don't have to worry about anyone hacking into our network because we are set smack in the middle of the woods and 1/4 of mile away from ther main road..
Proud Texan said:
We're using a Linksys router, but I have connected via ethernet to a Ubiquiti Power Station. It looks like a TV tray mounted on the side of the house, but I can broadcast a strong wi-fi signal all the way to our cottages 300 feet away. It's line of site, so I don't have to worry about anyone hacking into our network because we are set smack in the middle of the woods and 1/4 of mile away from ther main road.
I do not know if you guys jinxed me or gave me insight to my problem yesterday. Suddenly I had no Internet. This morning still no Internet. Problem is there is no way to tell if it is provider or me. I am sent the right guests at the right time. Current guest checked what was happening with the system (I know better than to do that because I do not know what I am lookng at) and he took the modem straight thru the PC and I am back again. He said I should try reconnecting the Lynksis later because sometimes that fixes it (disconnect for a while). IF that does not work, any suggestions on what to replace the router with (brand or whatever - I think i just lost a 2-room because my WiFi is currently down.
Some of the better DLink models have guest zones, so you can seperate that network with a different password and not on your network.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
The modem is connected to the router and the guests have to login to the network with a password - I do not use a password. So, does that mean I have us separated? I ran computers - I did not tinker with their brains.

Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
The modem is connected to the router and the guests have to login to the network with a password - I do not use a password. So, does that mean I have us separated? I ran computers - I did not tinker with their brains.
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Are you connected on wifi or on a wire?

Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I am wired! WIRED I say!!! OK, I am calm again - that felt good!

Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I am wired! WIRED I say!!! OK, I am calm again - that felt good!
gillumhouse wrote:
I am wired!
As Eric suspected, that explains it. If you remove the wire and log on to Wi-Fi, you'll be asked for a password too. Only the Wi-Fi is password protected, so neighbors can't "steal" it. Your wired connection doesn't require a password.

Back