WiFi setup to make guest access separate from innkeeper access

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Swirt- can you post that diagram again that shows how you separated the guest WiFi access from the innkeepers' access? I tried looking for it but don't even remember if it was on here.

It was on here.
sad_smile.gif

dmz.gif

Most of the new cable modems that people are given by their internet providers now include a router built in. If that is the case in your setup, then the top two boxes collapse together as one.

It was on here.
sad_smile.gif

dmz.gif

Most of the new cable modems that people are given by their internet providers now include a router built in. If that is the case in your setup, then the top two boxes collapse together as one..
Thanks.

Are 2 routers a must? Is it not possible to set up different accounts with different passwords so that you and guests could share the same router or even the same PC? (Not a geek, just asking).
r

Are 2 routers a must? Is it not possible to set up different accounts with different passwords so that you and guests could share the same router or even the same PC? (Not a geek, just asking).
r.
rrh said:
r
I'm answering a different question here...we have a guest PC in the living room. We do not use that one. I had hubs remove all links to any webistes we might have used for biz on that PC. You're not a geek, I'm not a geek, but some of our guests are REAL geeks. I do not want inn biz info of any sort on the PC the guests use. And, when we find software that will reset the computer to 'zero' at each boot (that is downloadable and not on a disc) we will install that as well, so the real geeks don't store stuff on the computer.
Which leads back to the original question...the real geeks have the time and know how to defeat whatever I put in place. I'm just trying to slow down the semi-geeks!
One reason I say this is because Vista stores userids, if not passwords. The other day I used the loaner laptop to do some book listing on Amazon. Event tho I explicity hit 'never save passwords on this website' when I went back the next day, there were both of my userids saved. No passwords, but having the userid is half the battle. And I have found this same thing on other programs that guests had no business even trying to access (stored user names), so we have removed all links to those.

r.
rrh said:
Not in a completely secure way (and you really need 3 routers total) . If you try to do it with one router (or even just two) then the network that your computer is on is discoverable by any guests using that network. It is unlikely they will do anything, but you never know...especially if you allow teenagers, and they get bored. OR some geek gets insomnia and amuses themself by hacking into your computer.
The only way to do it completely secure is with three routers total (though again, one MAY be in your cable/dsl modem if it has a router in it as well.

r.
rrh said:
Not in a completely secure way (and you really need 3 routers total) . If you try to do it with one router (or even just two) then the network that your computer is on is discoverable by any guests using that network. It is unlikely they will do anything, but you never know...especially if you allow teenagers, and they get bored. OR some geek gets insomnia and amuses themself by hacking into your computer.
The only way to do it completely secure is with three routers total (though again, one MAY be in your cable/dsl modem if it has a router in it as well.
Given rrh's location, that bored teen might be next door. So, it could be someone with time and long-term access. We can see and use our neighbor's WiFi, and our guests often do.

r.
rrh said:
Given rrh's location, that bored teen might be next door. So, it could be someone with time and long-term access. We can see and use our neighbor's WiFi, and our guests often do.
Bree said:
The ONLY reason we put a password on our wifi - is for unauthorized use. I mean our nearby big city is completely wireless, our McDee's, our Bojangles, DQ and many other places are wireless hotspots and free with no passwords.
BUT - When a pack of school kids stand in front of your place accessing STUFF they should not be accessing, that they can't get to at home or the library due to filters, then you need to be responsible.
Or the guy who lived in the apartment across the street - we halted that real quick and he came over and asked if we could help him install wi fi for all three apartments. He was a Reg Sex Offender - so Dh and our Sheriff buddy went over to lend him a hand. He has since moved. Our Sheriff buddy was not in uniform, but this young guy said Hello Officer when they walked in.

If your DSL/Cable has two or more public IP addresses, you could technically get away with just two routers instead of three, but requires a tiny bit more knowledge to set it up. I would suggest looking at www.guestgate.com though. The problem with the above configuration is that while it will protect you from your guests, one guest could easily hack into another guests computer or spread a virus unknowingly. A GuestGate gives each computer it's own private network, so broadcasts go unheard. You can click on "The Solution" to see a diagram of how to set it up, although the diagram they show is probably too much for the average inn. If you have a router such as a Linksys WRT54G with 5 ethernet ports, you could have 3 hard lines to your personal computers, 1 hard line for the internet connection and one hardline to the GuestGate. This way you don't need a Switch. Then, you could use a wireless access point (key words here, not a wireless router) and be done with it. Lastly, a GuestGate can offer your guests a welcome page the first time they use the internet. You could advertise services or goods before they get access. :)
Actually I just found the proper diagram for how to set it up on their website:
diag_soho.gif

Chris

If your DSL/Cable has two or more public IP addresses, you could technically get away with just two routers instead of three, but requires a tiny bit more knowledge to set it up. I would suggest looking at www.guestgate.com though. The problem with the above configuration is that while it will protect you from your guests, one guest could easily hack into another guests computer or spread a virus unknowingly. A GuestGate gives each computer it's own private network, so broadcasts go unheard. You can click on "The Solution" to see a diagram of how to set it up, although the diagram they show is probably too much for the average inn. If you have a router such as a Linksys WRT54G with 5 ethernet ports, you could have 3 hard lines to your personal computers, 1 hard line for the internet connection and one hardline to the GuestGate. This way you don't need a Switch. Then, you could use a wireless access point (key words here, not a wireless router) and be done with it. Lastly, a GuestGate can offer your guests a welcome page the first time they use the internet. You could advertise services or goods before they get access. :)
diag_soho.gif

Chris.
I am very grateful this popped up again

Me too! We are still struggling with this whole arrangement and throw in the constant virus battle....it is wearing on me.

diag_soho.gif

Chris.
Thanks Chris. That is a nice solution. Nearly a must for some of the larger inns. Probably a bit much for a 3 bedroom place...but even then the ~$199 price tag is resonable for the peace of mind.
(makes me happy some spammer came in here last night and left a stupid post for me to delete....caused this thread to pop into the active list again for this useful piece of info.

Do you guys secure the guest router then or leave it open? We leave ours open at the moment as it is not strong enough to get to the houses next door.

Do you guys secure the guest router then or leave it open? We leave ours open at the moment as it is not strong enough to get to the houses next door..
We have the two wi-fi system. The public one is open, no PW. When I had one, I'd get a knock on the door at 10 pm. Yeah, it was written down on the desk in-room, yeah I told them on check-in, but ...

Back