Wildlife

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyjacks

Reaction score
This seems to be the week for wildlife around here.
Today I was freshening the guest room here in the main house. It hasn't been used in a while but I'll have people using the bathroom in there this week so giving a quick tidy. I picked up the kleenex box to dust it and heard a rattle inside. Turns out some industrious little mouse has been stockpiling sunflower seeds. Must've been from the "break-in" to the bird seed bag last month. The mouse would've had to carry the seeds from the cleaning closet downstairs, up to the guest room, up a pedestal-footed table and into the kleenex box through the plastic opening. You couldn't even tell from looking at it that there was anything amiss. I'm just glad that I'm the one who noticed it and not guests! I'll have to add 'shake the kleenex box' to my room-cleaning checklist.
Fortunately, our winter cat checked in last week (I think he's part Maine Coon Cat!) so hopefully he'll put an end to mouse activity. I'll just have to keep him inside so he doesn't experience the food-chain from the top down...
Yesterday hubby & I were out snowshoeing on our trails and--not even 10 minutes from the house--we found the half-chewed leg of a deer. So we could have a coyote or wolf in the area. But since there was no sign of the rest of the carcass, it could just be a fox carrying off the 'leftovers' from somewhere else. I called the MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources) just to see if there's a safety issue for guests on our trails and they said not to worry. Even the large predators such as wolves are not a threat to an adult human. Good excuse to turn away kids!
Happy wildlife sighting: hubby saw a moose on our property last week! I just missed it, but there were plenty of tracks. Guests love hearing that kind of thing. But I don't think I'll mention the other wildlife. :)

Don't count on the Maine Coon, I used to have two of them that we kept in the kitchen at night (A different house, way before innkeeping!) These two cats slept on the counters.
Well, one day I went to clean out behind the toaster, and there was a mouse nest! Quite the set up, crumbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner AND the kitchen sink for liquid refreshment! Maybe he worked out a deal with the cats, I don't know...Those two fat cats were promptly fired! All they really liked to do was lounge and play dead while being petted.

Don't count on the Maine Coon, I used to have two of them that we kept in the kitchen at night (A different house, way before innkeeping!) These two cats slept on the counters.
Well, one day I went to clean out behind the toaster, and there was a mouse nest! Quite the set up, crumbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner AND the kitchen sink for liquid refreshment! Maybe he worked out a deal with the cats, I don't know...Those two fat cats were promptly fired! All they really liked to do was lounge and play dead while being petted..
Willowpondgj said:
Well, one day I went to clean out behind the toaster, and there was a mouse nest! Quite the set up, crumbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner AND the kitchen sink for liquid refreshment! Maybe he worked out a deal with the cats, I don't know...Those two fat cats were promptly fired! All they really liked to do was lounge and play dead while being petted.
Too funny!
I have some hope for this cat. This is his third winter with us while his people are in Mexico. He has left one and half mice for us on two separate occasions, so we know he can catch them if he's so inclined. Plus, he's got attitude. He rules the dog (german shepherd mix) with an iron paw. But like your two, he does seem primarily concerned for his own comfort and not likely to put himself out just to earn his keep.

Well, one day I went to clean out behind the toaster, and there was a mouse nest! Quite the set up, crumbs for breakfast, lunch and dinner AND the kitchen sink for liquid refreshment! Maybe he worked out a deal with the cats, I don't know...Those two fat cats were promptly fired! All they really liked to do was lounge and play dead while being petted..
Willowpondgj said:
Too funny!
I have some hope for this cat. This is his third winter with us while his people are in Mexico. He has left one and half mice for us on two separate occasions, so we know he can catch them if he's so inclined. Plus, he's got attitude. He rules the dog (german shepherd mix) with an iron paw. But like your two, he does seem primarily concerned for his own comfort and not likely to put himself out just to earn his keep.
The first time I saw a Maine Coon cat I was in a toy store that sold only stuffed animals. You can see where this is going. I was wandering around amazed at all these stuffed animals of every sort and there was the coon cat sound asleep on the counter amidst all these other stuffed dogs and cats. And then one moved on an overhead shelf (they would just walk in and out among the stuffed toys). And then another one came off a windowseat. Everytime I went into that store I tried to 'spot the coon cat'.
Amazing-looking cats!

Just checked out pictures of Maine Coon Cats - they are huge with very large ears.
Happy - You could really use your recent sightings on your website, as you say people love hearing this stuff: 'Enjoy Nature in its glory with a stroll on our nature trails where there have been sightings of deer, moose, coyote and wolf. - Don't be alarmed, they will keep their distance.'
I would leave out info of the little creature too....

Since we have a lot of nature as well and the vineyard in the back of the inn I am trying to research the cost of putting up a webcam so that potential guests can see what they are booking. It's pretty confusing.
I just want a plain webcamera that I can put on our outside deck so they can see the deer, possum, fox, rabbits and vineyard. Some info looks ilke you don't need so much an outside cam but a good enclosure to protcet it.
Swirt or anyone, any recommendations where to start looking? Does anyone know what brands to look at?
Riki

Since we have a lot of nature as well and the vineyard in the back of the inn I am trying to research the cost of putting up a webcam so that potential guests can see what they are booking. It's pretty confusing.
I just want a plain webcamera that I can put on our outside deck so they can see the deer, possum, fox, rabbits and vineyard. Some info looks ilke you don't need so much an outside cam but a good enclosure to protcet it.
Swirt or anyone, any recommendations where to start looking? Does anyone know what brands to look at?
Riki.
I know a lot of hunters who put cameras near where they feed the deer. You might check in a hunting goods store

My local wildlife includes dolphin, manatee, and monsters:
iguana.jpg

This is why I keep the gate to the aft deck closed at night or when I'm not there. Could you imagine coming upstairs in the morning and finding this sitting on your sofa? They aren't shy. Interesting to look at in a photo, though. Note how his tail is striped in the same colors as are the piling and the black ropes. When he's in a tree, he's bright green all over.

My local wildlife includes dolphin, manatee, and monsters:
iguana.jpg

This is why I keep the gate to the aft deck closed at night or when I'm not there. Could you imagine coming upstairs in the morning and finding this sitting on your sofa? They aren't shy. Interesting to look at in a photo, though. Note how his tail is striped in the same colors as are the piling and the black ropes. When he's in a tree, he's bright green all over..
Yikes! I'll take mice over monsters any day!

Riki.
I know a lot of hunters who put cameras near where they feed the deer. You might check in a hunting goods store
We are getting one of those for DH for his birthday. Those only take snapshots. I'm looking for something that is a webcam that will show what is outside the inn right now and change every few seconds.
Riki

Riki.
We are getting one of those for DH for his birthday. Those only take snapshots. I'm looking for something that is a webcam that will show what is outside the inn right now and change every few seconds.
Riki
Doesn't Sanctuary have something like that for her place? I thought she called it her "Helm cam"?

Riki.
Riki
Doesn't Sanctuary have something like that for her place? I thought she called it her "Helm cam"?
Yes, she does now that you mention it. Hers may be very expensive as it must be waterproof...Sanctuary, what brand is your webcam?
RIki

Riki.
Riki
Yes, she does now that you mention it. Hers may be very expensive as it must be waterproof...Sanctuary, what brand is your webcam?
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
The "Helm Cam" belongs to my captain, Pascal. He brings it along on every boat ride on whatever boat he's one. It's just an inexpensive web cam hooked up to a cell phone on his laptop. We keep it indoors stuck to the inside of the windshield in the pilothouse whether it's on his boat or mine. You can set it up to refresh every so-many seconds. I think he's got it set up for 20 seconds, or maybe it's 10. Pascal found that in a box one day while cleaning out a cabinet. He put it up and it's been there ever since (couple of years now). When he makes the run between Miami and Nantucket moving Charmer twice a year, the Helm Cam goes along - that's a neat trip to watch if you can't go yourself. :) I've sent him an email asking him what the brand of the webcam is. It wasn't anything expensive.

Riki.
Riki
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
The "Helm Cam" belongs to my captain, Pascal. He brings it along on every boat ride on whatever boat he's one. It's just an inexpensive web cam hooked up to a cell phone on his laptop. We keep it indoors stuck to the inside of the windshield in the pilothouse whether it's on his boat or mine. You can set it up to refresh every so-many seconds. I think he's got it set up for 20 seconds, or maybe it's 10. Pascal found that in a box one day while cleaning out a cabinet. He put it up and it's been there ever since (couple of years now). When he makes the run between Miami and Nantucket moving Charmer twice a year, the Helm Cam goes along - that's a neat trip to watch if you can't go yourself. :) I've sent him an email asking him what the brand of the webcam is. It wasn't anything expensive.
Thank you! I think it could be that to use it outside one needs more a good enclosure more so than an expensive webcam. I'm researching it more. I want to show the vineyard and the deer that come out all the time.
Riki

It's a logitech quickcam, he forgot which one and he's over on Charmer right now, so he can't just go look, but says it's one of the higher resolution models. About $100 at Office Depo.

It's a logitech quickcam, he forgot which one and he's over on Charmer right now, so he can't just go look, but says it's one of the higher resolution models. About $100 at Office Depo..
Thank you that's all I need - just the brand name and where to start looking!
Best,
Erika

Back