Will maple syrup prices be going up?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe everything I read....sounds like someone had a math error along the way don't you think? That is WAY too much syrup to have gone missing.

I don't believe everything I read....sounds like someone had a math error along the way don't you think? That is WAY too much syrup to have gone missing..
Yes, even at the prices I'm paying that's around 7 tankers of the stuff.

We get through litres of the stuff, gonna have to put the room rates up next year by the looks of it. Or come up with some maple free alternatives to my pancakes and brioche french toast specials.
It costs £34 a litre at the moment. sheesh.
It's about GBP 8 a litre around here... and I thought that was expensive. Okay, if you buy in the supermarket it's about GBP 10.
John, do you want to check what the import laws and duties are? Maybe I can ship some to you. Of course we have to check what shipping costs would be, as well.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
It's about GBP 8 a litre around here... and I thought that was expensive. Okay, if you buy in the supermarket it's about GBP 10.
John, do you want to check what the import laws and duties are? Maybe I can ship some to you. Of course we have to check what shipping costs would be, as well.
Why, have you got 10 mil pounds worth of it sitting in your garage.
tounge_smile.gif

No, that's very kind of you to offer, but I think with shipping and taxes and all the extra hastle it wouldn't be worth it. I do buy best quality Canadian organic, so I'll just find a cheaper version if it gets too expensive.
Don't buy organic.... it's all organic. It's false advertising. These are trees, no pesticides are needed or used. As long as it's Canadian, it's all organic. Around here, the only stuff marked organic is mixed with a horrible rice syrup. http://www.bernards.ca/en/information/biological-syrop/
This is what the real stuff looks like....
11007e8090d9ab920c614cca01a95597.jpg

OMG there was I thinking I'm doing the right thing by buying organic. It comes from trees.
embaressed_smile.gif

Well I have to agree...that's probably too many sources to be a whim....Unless it was just too good of a story to pass up!
tounge_smile.gif

We get through litres of the stuff, gonna have to put the room rates up next year by the looks of it. Or come up with some maple free alternatives to my pancakes and brioche french toast specials.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
tounge_smile.gif

No, that's very kind of you to offer, but I think with shipping and taxes and all the extra hastle it wouldn't be worth it. I do buy best quality Canadian organic, so I'll just find a cheaper version if it gets too expensive.
Don't buy organic.... it's all organic. It's false advertising. These are trees, no pesticides are needed or used. As long as it's Canadian, it's all organic. Around here, the only stuff marked organic is mixed with a horrible rice syrup. http://www.bernards.ca/en/information/biological-syrop/

OMG there was I thinking I'm doing the right thing by buying organic. It comes from trees.
embaressed_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I don't know much about "maple tree farming" but there's a big difference between organic strawberries and mass produced big farm strawberries....but technically they are both plants grown in the ground :)
It never hurts to do a little research about the products you're using to see how much of a difference there is.
And of course, consumers (including your guests) LOVE hearing that products are green/organic/local, etc. - so it's a good marketing point as well.

I do not know about the "theft", but one of our regular guests is a vendor of Maple Syrup on the festival circuit. He told us that the spring of 2012 was the worst he had for harvesting the golden liquid in Ontario. The mild spring cut his harvest time from about 6 weeks to 1 week. He was down about 75%. No matter what, there will probably be an increase in pricing and a shortage of "quality" product.
BBBBob

I do not know about the "theft", but one of our regular guests is a vendor of Maple Syrup on the festival circuit. He told us that the spring of 2012 was the worst he had for harvesting the golden liquid in Ontario. The mild spring cut his harvest time from about 6 weeks to 1 week. He was down about 75%. No matter what, there will probably be an increase in pricing and a shortage of "quality" product.
BBBBob.
We didn't get any from our trees this year at all.

Maybe that's what took Aunt Jemima so long...she was busy stealing maple syrup.
We initially used pure maple syrup, but we'd go through it too quickly and it became expensive fast! We now go to Wally World and by Aunt Jemima syrup by the gallon and add a ton of butter to it, serving it hot with each plate of pancakes or french toast. Our guest love it.
A little bit of butter makes the bitter batter better!

We initially used pure maple syrup, but we'd go through it too quickly and it became expensive fast! We now go to Wally World and by Aunt Jemima syrup by the gallon and add a ton of butter to it, serving it hot with each plate of pancakes or french toast. Our guest love it.
A little bit of butter makes the bitter batter better!.
Some days I wonder if serving the flavored sugar substitute wouldn't be just as good. Unless I actually TELL guests 'this is real local maple syrup' no one seems to care. They assume it's the fake stuff. Some people have asked if it's fake because it doesn't look like what they're used to where they live.
'Why don't you use real syrup?' Hey, pal, at $58/gallon, this IS the real stuff!

Last time I bought it, I paid $14 a quart for WV syrup! Just looked - Richter's (best maple syrup in WV) it is now $18 per quart and $54 per gallon. I used to buy if in 1/2 gallons for ease of storage in the fridge and that is now $32 per half gallon!!!.
gillumhouse said:
Last time I bought it, I paid $14 a quart for WV syrup! Just looked - Richter's (best maple syrup in WV) it is now $18 per quart and $54 per gallon. I used to buy if in 1/2 gallons for ease of storage in the fridge and that is now $32 per half gallon!!!
Egads! Good thing we don't have to run our cars on the stuff!
embaressed_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
tounge_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

The certification process is so expensive that few bother to do it. But most of the time it's just trees, sitting out there waiting for the season. They run plastic piping on them to a central location where it is collected. No one around here bothers with organic and the farmers themselves (we know quite a few) scoff at the designation.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
tounge_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

The certification process is so expensive that few bother to do it. But most of the time it's just trees, sitting out there waiting for the season. They run plastic piping on them to a central location where it is collected. No one around here bothers with organic and the farmers themselves (we know quite a few) scoff at the designation.
Once when we made the trip to get maple syrup our grandsons were here. Mike Richter took them on a tour of the process. He has thousands of maple trees with tubing to his tanks. He then uses reverse osmosis to remove the water from the sap. He used to just let it run down the hill. That water is now bottled under the brand Treewater - it tastes wonderful and I wish I could afford to buy it. He showed the boys the whole process.

A little bit of butter makes the bitter batter better!.
Some days I wonder if serving the flavored sugar substitute wouldn't be just as good. Unless I actually TELL guests 'this is real local maple syrup' no one seems to care. They assume it's the fake stuff. Some people have asked if it's fake because it doesn't look like what they're used to where they live.
'Why don't you use real syrup?' Hey, pal, at $58/gallon, this IS the real stuff!
I have often heard the most people could not tell the difference between real & manufactured. If you haven't had a chance to watch these ladies take a peek. They do have a sense of humour http://www.annaandkristina.com/?action=d7_article_viewer_view_article&Join_ID=230369&template=tp-test-lab-view-article.htm7
BBBBob

Eric Arthur Blair said:
tounge_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif

Because most of the trees are just 'out there' hanging around, doing nothing special but being trees, I do not get the 'organic' label at all. I don't think anyone 'feeds' sugar maples, they just live on what the roots reach!
However, if someone asked? Yes, our maple syrup is 'organic'. Nutrients come from the breakdown of all those dang leaves in the fall!

Here's more of the story.
Little by little the purloined syrup is showing up. They move it around in tanker trucks.

Back