Will maple syrup prices be going up?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
TIME Magazine reports that 10 million pounds of maple syrup, worth $30 million, has been stolen from Quebec. It's a quarter of their stategic reserve and Quebec produces 75% of the world's maple syrup.
What does a thief do with 10 million pounds of syrup?

What does a thief do with 10 million pounds of syrup?
Make a fortune!

1. How does a thief make off with 10 million pounds of ANYTHING?
2. Knowing of this large theft, how does one market it?
I guess we have to watch out for the guy selling maple syrup door to back door LOL

Selling it will create a glut in the market, lowering prices temporarily. But it's a pretty hard thing to sell. Especially since most of us buy it in 540ml cans. I buy them in bulk, 8, 12 or 24 dozen at a time. And they look at me like I'm crazy when I buy that kind of quantity.

yes but how do you transport it? how did no one notice it going? how would you sell it?

Very sticky situation Yes!!! LOl
Lots of Maple candies, fried eggs with maple syrup, maple bush at winter making candy in the snow. Selling at open markets at night.

It was a rented storage facility so it could have happened over time. Might be long gone at this point.

We get through litres of the stuff, gonna have to put the room rates up next year by the looks of it. Or come up with some maple free alternatives to my pancakes and brioche french toast specials.
It costs £34 a litre at the moment. sheesh

We get through litres of the stuff, gonna have to put the room rates up next year by the looks of it. Or come up with some maple free alternatives to my pancakes and brioche french toast specials.
It costs £34 a litre at the moment. sheesh.
It's about GBP 8 a litre around here... and I thought that was expensive. Okay, if you buy in the supermarket it's about GBP 10.
John, do you want to check what the import laws and duties are? Maybe I can ship some to you. Of course we have to check what shipping costs would be, as well.

Last time I bought it, I paid $14 a quart for WV syrup! Just looked - Richter's (best maple syrup in WV) it is now $18 per quart and $54 per gallon. I used to buy if in 1/2 gallons for ease of storage in the fridge and that is now $32 per half gallon!!!

I was raised on immitation maple flavoring. My mother heated it with sugar and water to make a pretty good pancake syrup.
But at least we got real butter and whole milk. Ah, those where the days!

It's about GBP 8 a litre around here... and I thought that was expensive. Okay, if you buy in the supermarket it's about GBP 10.
John, do you want to check what the import laws and duties are? Maybe I can ship some to you. Of course we have to check what shipping costs would be, as well.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Why, have you got 10 mil pounds worth of it sitting in your garage.
tounge_smile.gif

No, that's very kind of you to offer, but I think with shipping and taxes and all the extra hastle it wouldn't be worth it. I do buy best quality Canadian organic, so I'll just find a cheaper version if it gets too expensive.

I was raised on immitation maple flavoring. My mother heated it with sugar and water to make a pretty good pancake syrup.
But at least we got real butter and whole milk. Ah, those where the days!.
Arkansawyer said:
Ah the days when you bought a bottle of milk and all the cream floated to the top. I loved that on my cereal.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Why, have you got 10 mil pounds worth of it sitting in your garage.
tounge_smile.gif

No, that's very kind of you to offer, but I think with shipping and taxes and all the extra hastle it wouldn't be worth it. I do buy best quality Canadian organic, so I'll just find a cheaper version if it gets too expensive.
Don't buy organic.... it's all organic. It's false advertising. These are trees, no pesticides are needed or used. As long as it's Canadian, it's all organic. Around here, the only stuff marked organic is mixed with a horrible rice syrup. http://www.bernards.ca/en/information/biological-syrop/
This is what the real stuff looks like....
11007e8090d9ab920c614cca01a95597.jpg

But at least we got real butter and whole milk. Ah, those where the days!.
Arkansawyer said:
Ah the days when you bought a bottle of milk and all the cream floated to the top. I loved that on my cereal.
We miled the cows, Granny put the milk through the strainer and put it in quart bottles, and we drank it. Kept 5 cows busy just to keep the 4 of us kids in milk. Half the bottle was the cream that floated to the top! But we did have either syrup Mom made with brown sugar, water, and maple flavoring or a brand called Vermont Maid - depending on finances.

Back