Will not vacate

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
What do you do when guests refuse to vacate the room? This is the second time this has happened this summer. We don't have 'security' that we can call, so how do you get them out? It's not a matter of money. They just refused to leave.

Tell them you're calling the police......then DO IT.
That's what we decided to do if it happens again.
When they left they actually complained to me, 'Geez, a few minutes late....' I lit right into them at that point I was so furious. I was hot, sweaty, red in the face from cleaning every other room while waiting for them. I must have been a sight fright. ;)

Not sure if this would work: slip an invoice under their door that lists how many hours after checkout they've remained at $25/hour (or whatever).
Knock as you leave.

Not sure if this would work: slip an invoice under their door that lists how many hours after checkout they've remained at $25/hour (or whatever).
Knock as you leave..
Because the rest of their group left right at 11, we didn't think these 2 would still be here at almost 1 PM or we would have given them the $50/hour fee spiel. As it was, by the time they left we felt used and abused because they kept saying, 'We're just packing up now,' and then the shower would start up again.
I have to let this go, it's eating me up.
We've got our plan back in place now. We just got thrown off for a bit. But we know now to not let it drag on past 11. We generally give 15 minutes grace, but that's it.

Knock as you leave..
Because the rest of their group left right at 11, we didn't think these 2 would still be here at almost 1 PM or we would have given them the $50/hour fee spiel. As it was, by the time they left we felt used and abused because they kept saying, 'We're just packing up now,' and then the shower would start up again.
We've got our plan back in place now. We just got thrown off for a bit. But we know now to not let it drag on past 11. We generally give 15 minutes grace, but that's it.
Alibi Ike said:
We've got our plan back in place now. We just got thrown off for a bit.
Sometimes that's all it takes to set the downward spiral in motion...

Knock as you leave..
How dare these people do this to you! I totally understand how it's not about money. At that point, they were trespassers. This scenario happened to me once, and I remember how dumb founded I was that anybody could do that. I would handle it differently now that I've been through it before, and I'm sure you will too if it ever happens again.
Next time, call the cops and shut the water off. LOL

A few weeks ago, we put small signs on the backs of all room doors, warning that late stays will result in another day's charge. You've reminded me that it should also be on the slip they sign at check in. It's not been a problem here.....yet, but like many proceedures that have gone into effect due to good advice on this forum, I'd rather be proactive.....

At noon, it's tresspass. Tell them that the room is no longer theirs ask if they want to pay for an extra day or you should call the police and lay tresspass charges. Either way, they have 15 minutes to vacate. And seriously.... dial 911. The police knocking at the door will get the message through.

what do you mean by "refused to leave?". Did they actually say "no we are not leaving" or were they just still in the room?
1. Were they aware of the check out time (and I always like to remind hotels and Inns that we can't clean EVERY room at the same time so a little leeway is ALWAYS a possibility
2. Did you "nicely" remind them that check out time is x and maybe say "I would be happy to extend that to x+1 or x+30 without incurring an additional charge
then
a. We do have guests arriving in this room in a little while so I need to get it cleaned, you are welcome to use the public areas if you want to stay for a little while
or B. Will you be needing to stay an extra night? I do have x room available for $x
or C. If the room is not needed that night than "Please be reminded that there is a late check out charge of x after x time
I don't know your exact situation however this is a general reminder of some options we may want to give - just because the rest of the group left on time does not mean these people knew or cared or maybe they needed to stay for one or other reason.
I agree - don't let it eat you up, if it happened with every 2nd or 3rd or even every 4th guest it may be an "issue" but I am sure it is the exception rather than the rule
If someone is having a frequent issue with this, I would suggest talking individually to each guest at breakfast and saying "Just so that we can plan the housekeeping schedule for today, could you give me the approximate time you plan on leaving"
Another one is "I have some errands to run this morning but want to be sure I am here to say goodbye - what time are you planning on leaving?"
Just because this is OUR business and WE know the rules does not mean everyone else does. Anyway I hate "rules" .. they should be considered guidelines in most cases except for some specifics like NO smoking etc

OK, so now that I have calmed down, my inn is clean, my laundry is almost done (I still need a shower, but heck, I'll just stand back a few paces doing check-ins) let me share the coup de grace. After they left, they came back. Let themselves in and left their suitcases in the living room.
Luckily, I walked by at that moment and they said they needed to leave the suitcases because it was raining and they couldn't get in the car.
Did anyone hear me in any far off states (or countries)? You might have.
When I said that was not possible (and, no, I was not that polite) they started actually whinging at me that they didn't know what the big deal was. They were a 'few minutes' late and I was getting all bent out of shape.
Are you sure none of you heard me?
OK, back to my usual self again. (I put myself into a pistachio coma, much better now.) I did notice the PITA baton. I WILL be handing that sucker off this week. Be warned.

OK, so now that I have calmed down, my inn is clean, my laundry is almost done (I still need a shower, but heck, I'll just stand back a few paces doing check-ins) let me share the coup de grace. After they left, they came back. Let themselves in and left their suitcases in the living room.
Luckily, I walked by at that moment and they said they needed to leave the suitcases because it was raining and they couldn't get in the car.
When I said that was not possible (and, no, I was not that polite) they started actually whinging at me that they didn't know what the big deal was. They were a 'few minutes' late and I was getting all bent out of shape.
OK, back to my usual self again. (I put myself into a pistachio coma, much better now.) I did notice the PITA baton. I WILL be handing that sucker off this week. Be warned..
Nothing worse than walking through the inn and spotting ye ol' baton sitting on your desk... you can run but you cannot hide.
potty-mouth.gif
I am just thankful we can pass the bloody thing around. Can I get an amen?!

OK, back to my usual self again. (I put myself into a pistachio coma, much better now.) I did notice the PITA baton. I WILL be handing that sucker off this week. Be warned..
Nothing worse than walking through the inn and spotting ye ol' baton sitting on your desk... you can run but you cannot hide.
potty-mouth.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
You can all relax...I have a firm grip on that ol' baton today...check-ins for 2 nights in my suite just walked in and trash-talked my inn. Actually, it was just one of the party. Did not like anything. The rooms were 'miniscule', the stairs were too steep, their bags were too big, the kids would not eat tomorrow's breakfast they wanted this instead. She wouldn't pay. Outright refused to pay until check-out. She said, 'You have my credit card to secure payment, I will pay cash when I leave.'
Ah, no. You will pay now or you will leave now.
And, it actually came to that. I had her money (finally) and I told her she could have it back, just leave. We were obviously not going to make her happy and we don't want unhappy people here.
Told her no charge I would hang out the vacancy sign and be full before she found a hotel that had big enough rooms. That I had been turning people away all day (I have).
All the while she is talking to her daughter in French. Like we're too stoopid to understand another language.
So, fear not, fellow innmates- that baton is firmly implanted here. For today. I am so chucking it out the window tomorrow!

potty-mouth.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
You can all relax...I have a firm grip on that ol' baton today...check-ins for 2 nights in my suite just walked in and trash-talked my inn. Actually, it was just one of the party. Did not like anything. The rooms were 'miniscule', the stairs were too steep, their bags were too big, the kids would not eat tomorrow's breakfast they wanted this instead. She wouldn't pay. Outright refused to pay until check-out. She said, 'You have my credit card to secure payment, I will pay cash when I leave.'
And, it actually came to that. I had her money (finally) and I told her she could have it back, just leave. We were obviously not going to make her happy and we don't want unhappy people here.
Told her no charge I would hang out the vacancy sign and be full before she found a hotel that had big enough rooms. That I had been turning people away all day (I have).
All the while she is talking to her daughter in French. Like we're too stoopid to understand another language.
So, fear not, fellow innmates- that baton is firmly implanted here. For today. I am so chucking it out the window tomorrow!
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Good for you. Throw her ass out!!!!
I am blown away that all of this has happened to you today. I wish I were there to give you a hug and a good stiff drink!

potty-mouth.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Good for you. Throw her ass out!!!!
I am blown away that all of this has happened to you today. I wish I were there to give you a hug and a good stiff drink!
Thanks. She actually stayed. But I think she went out to go look for a hotel. Tune in later for more...
Stiff drink in hand. Pu pu for two platter on its way to the door as I type. My equilibrium is restored.
My sweet repeat guests from AL just called, flight delayed. I'll be so happy to see them.
Last room is a late arrival so I am almost done for the day.

potty-mouth.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Too darn bad you didn't turn to your DH and start rattling something in FRENCH to him.

potty-mouth.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Too darn bad you didn't turn to your DH and start rattling something in FRENCH to him.
copperhead said:
We're saving that up for check-out. Just so they have time to think about it after they leave. Maybe they won't be like that at the next place.
Funny, because he doesn't always pick up everything someone says but he got her loud and clear.

Back