Will you be open Thanksgiving?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I guess we really are the laid back B&B. We have always been open for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes we have done dinner here for friends and family too, but never for guests. A few times guests have used their kitchen in the suite to make holiday dinner for their son or daughter in town by themselves for work or school.
A few years back we a guest was looking for a good place to have Thanksgiving dinner out, and we found out that one of our favorite wine bistros was doing a huge buffet with everything you can imagine and more, (besides having great wines). We booked for the guests, and went as well. Now we haven't cooked for a few years because this bistro, (with no prep or clean up), is a great holiday for everyone. Guests do it. We do it. Friends and family do it - and we all have a blast.
We still buy the turkey on sale, but we cook it a few weeks later without the stress of a holiday. Gotta have the turkey leftovers for enchiladas! For Christmas we get the guests in on lighting the luminarias and they love that. For Christmas diner we have had a big New Mexican food buffet, but only when we have repeat guests, and it is no charge, just our gift to them for being loyal. No matter what though, there is always a little gift on everyone's plate on Christmas morning. We do presents with the family later in the day. Christmas with guests has always been rewarding..
aieechihuahua said:
No matter what though, there is always a little gift on everyone's plate on Christmas morning. We do presents with the family later in the day. Christmas with guests has always been rewarding
We always put the Christmas crackers on everyone's plate on Christmas morning and do a trifle for the fruit dish, topped with pomegrante seeds. DH and I always exchange presents on Christmas eve, so I don't mind having guests for Christmas morning either.
We do the two-night mins then too, and no check-in on Christmas Day so we can hang out with friends if we want to. Family visits are before and after - easier on us and our relatives with kids want to be at their homes for Christmas morning.

Had guests last year for Thanksgiving for 5 days. Family couldn't accommodate them. Worked out fine.

Blocked off every year...time with family is far too rare to miss out on important holidays.
Edited to say: This year for the first time, we are accepting reservations for that day, but just staythroughs, no arrivals. Same with the 4th of July.....that's my favorite holiday and I haven't been able to celebrate it for 6 years now. 2010 is our year!

We close the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and open the Monday after and we close the week before Christmas and open December 31. All our children still come home for the holidays so that time together is priceless! I hope it continues forever.

We close the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and open the Monday after and we close the week before Christmas and open December 31. All our children still come home for the holidays so that time together is priceless! I hope it continues forever..
thumbs_up.gif
Good for you!!! Sounds wonderful.

heck no! this is the first "job" we have ever had that we don't have to work holidays if we don't want to.

We've been "open," but no one's booked so far. We did block off Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving and went to see my cousin, which I believe we'll do again this year.
If someone did book I'd be warning them that I'll be doing the meal here!
It's not a very busy time of year here...
=)
Kk.

We had two rooms booked for the weekend after and they just cancelled...I am so tempted to just block out the whole thing and have 4 DAYS OFF IN A ROW, WOW! I know I will need the cash flow by the end of November though so will probably leave it open...ahh to dream though...
teeth_smile.gif

Yes we're open. We just leave after our guests checkout. Our DIL and daughter do the cooking so we just show up at our son's house about 1 pm.

I posted my 18th Century Thanksgiving on my Specials page today. I notice I am getting a lot of hits from a source that only (to my knowledge) had in Thanksgiving pkg info so I decided it was time to post it.

Glad you brought it up, I just changed my calendar for a two day min on Weds with no check in on Thursday. I can be honest,, I do not want to spend holidays with my guests they seem especially 'needy' during the holidays. I love guests any other time of the year.. usually!

Back