Will you be open Thanksgiving?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Will you offer anything different over this time? Do you have any bookings or have it blocked off now?

This is when I post my 18th Century Thanksgiving Package and hope someone books it.
We do an 18th century frontier dinner around 1 and then a homemade turkey noodle soup & rolls supper about 7. The kids (or adults) if they wish, can help make the noodles and/or rolls. We serve the traditional turkey & sage dressing, small pork or beef roast, and a venison roast, homemade cranberry sauce (not taditional not is the salad but both are expected Thanksgiving items) baked potatoes, baked yams, green beans, rolls, pumpkin pie with home-cooked pumpkin (not canned). We wear 18th century clothing when serving this and give a bit of a history lesson. If the guests seem interested, we give them a copy of the NWTA Field Guide.
We also offer Friday breakfast early if anyone is foolish enough to want to get involved with the shopping frenzy at one of the malls nearby.

We're open for all the holidays and while not having anything on the books yet, we expect to be close to full for the four or five days surrounding Thanksgiving if all our previous years are a predictor.
We'll usually be hosting at least a room or two of neighbor's or nearby friend's family, so they go out of their way to make it feel good for us too.
There are an awful lot of folks who either don't have much family, can't easily decide which sides family to visit so they visit neither, holidays are a dysfunctional mess and they prefer to NOT spend it with family, etc...
We've tried to offer a nice dinner, etc. in the past, but its always fallen flat on its face. So we just make sure everyone has lots of options and we kind of stay in the background so folks can choose to spend their holidays in a way that suits them the best.
We get our holiday fix with the above mentioned neighbors and friends.
We hate to travel on holidays and fall into two out of the three factors listed above, so it works out for our style. I'm not a good hectic, airport or flight person and a family holiday visit requires that, so being here feels right.

This is when I post my 18th Century Thanksgiving Package and hope someone books it.
We do an 18th century frontier dinner around 1 and then a homemade turkey noodle soup & rolls supper about 7. The kids (or adults) if they wish, can help make the noodles and/or rolls. We serve the traditional turkey & sage dressing, small pork or beef roast, and a venison roast, homemade cranberry sauce (not taditional not is the salad but both are expected Thanksgiving items) baked potatoes, baked yams, green beans, rolls, pumpkin pie with home-cooked pumpkin (not canned). We wear 18th century clothing when serving this and give a bit of a history lesson. If the guests seem interested, we give them a copy of the NWTA Field Guide.
We also offer Friday breakfast early if anyone is foolish enough to want to get involved with the shopping frenzy at one of the malls nearby..
Do you get folks for this?? It sure seems like a heck of alot of work!! I hope you are charging well for it.

We also offer Friday breakfast early if anyone is foolish enough to want to get involved with the shopping frenzy at one of the malls nearby..
Do you get folks for this?? It sure seems like a heck of alot of work!! I hope you are charging well for it.
Yes, I have had people for this. I offer it Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve. To date, no one has wanted it for Christmas but have had several Thanksgivings and New Years Eves. The last Thanksgiving this sold for was a falimy coming to spend the holiday with the M-I-L & s-i-l of the wife. Her late husband (and the daughter's Father) was the best friend of the current husband.and he felt uncomfortable staying with Mama. They had been to area hotels in the past and did not like them so this time was with us. The in-laws joined them for dinner. I had one-use cameras for M-I-L, the kid, and the kid's Mother so each could take photos that would count for them. I got out my second 18th century outfit and when everyone was at the table I gave ti kid our prearranged signal and she came into the Library and reappeared in the dining room in 18th century - complete woth mob cap! They loved it. The kid also helped make the rolls (she came down before everyone else that morning and I put an apron on her.
And yes, I do charge big time for it.

We don't have any family nearby and no kids so stay open but don't do dinner. We do have a couple of local places where we can pick up a Thanksgiving Dinner that we just have to heat up so may decide to do that. We are not allowed to cook dinner, just breakfast.
Riki

we're open, but if Thanksgiving is their arrival day, they'll have a self check-in. I always e-mail them in advance telling them also about local restaurants who do a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. We go out to dinner ourselves.

Yes, I have had people for this. I offer it Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve. To date, no one has wanted it for Christmas but have had several Thanksgivings and New Years Eves. The last Thanksgiving this sold for was a falimy coming to spend the holiday with the M-I-L & s-i-l of the wife. Her late husband (and the daughter's Father) was the best friend of the current husband.and he felt uncomfortable staying with Mama. They had been to area hotels in the past and did not like them so this time was with us. The in-laws joined them for dinner. I had one-use cameras for M-I-L, the kid, and the kid's Mother so each could take photos that would count for them. I got out my second 18th century outfit and when everyone was at the table I gave ti kid our prearranged signal and she came into the Library and reappeared in the dining room in 18th century - complete woth mob cap! They loved it. The kid also helped make the rolls (she came down before everyone else that morning and I put an apron on her.
What is charging "big time" mean? What do you charge per person for something like this??

We are open but with a two-night minimum Thursday through Sunday and no check-in on Thursday. That allows us, if we want to, to leave after breakfast & fluffs, drive to family for Thanksgiving dinner and then come home that evening. There are a few places here open for dinner and we tell people when they make the res to be sure to book something at one of those places - otherwise, no food for the day.
Our first year here the previous owner had booked a family for that weekend into all rooms and offered them dinner for $10 a head!! It was a simple dinner of veggie lasagna, salad and bread but I cursed her under my breath the entire time I got ready for that dinner. Never again...

We are open all Holidays. I still have rooms for Thanksgiving, but have bookings for Christmas and New Years. No special packages. I do have a 2 night minimum.

What is charging "big time" mean? What do you charge per person for something like this??
Last time for the 3-nights and dinner I charged $650 per room. It just so happens that it has always worked out to be one family but if note It would be an "instant" family formed and would be the $650 per room. I think I had it priced all rooms with same party for $1500.
I get the venison for free - even if my son-in-law did not get Iowa venison for me, I have friends who will get a deer for me any time I need one. - they have a lot of land and can get a permit any time. This year I have not decided if I am going to hold it steady or go to $699.

We're open for Thanksgiving but checkout is the same: 11:00 am. We'll head over to our son's house as soon as the guests (if any) leave.

Last time for the 3-nights and dinner I charged $650 per room. It just so happens that it has always worked out to be one family but if note It would be an "instant" family formed and would be the $650 per room. I think I had it priced all rooms with same party for $1500.
I get the venison for free - even if my son-in-law did not get Iowa venison for me, I have friends who will get a deer for me any time I need one. - they have a lot of land and can get a permit any time. This year I have not decided if I am going to hold it steady or go to $699.
That doesn't answer how much you charge for the dinner portion per person. I'm just wondering if this is worthwhile to do for me.

One year a man called and assured me he would book a room for three nights, dependant on a fine dining restaurant being open T'Day for brunch or dinner. I found a nice place for them, and booked them a table. It was a sad time for them - so they wanted to get away - - as often is the case over the holidays with many people. Those are the times we have memories full-on of those we are no longer near, or share our lives with.
Years ago I remember being told not only the higher incidence of suicide over the holidays, but also add to it an increase in drunkeness and overall bad behavior.
So for those of us who won't stay open over New Years fearing the worst, Thanksgiving and Christmas have a possible recipe for disaster as well.
We try to host families visiting the area as an overflow or option to staying at the rel's house and be locked in there with no place to go. I have found the guests come back to destress and really appreciate staying at a BnB over Thanksgiving. We'll see what we get this year! It is always "potluck" excuse the pun. :)

That doesn't answer how much you charge for the dinner portion per person. I'm just wondering if this is worthwhile to do for me.
I don't do a per person. I do it as a package. I added about $150 for the dinner and supper. I use the carcass and the leftover turkey to make the soup. The last dinner they went over to Mama's after dinner so I was able to just wrap up the remains of the turkey and send it off with them - I did not have to deal with it! (They did not ask - I just handed it off)
You would have to decide that for yourself as to worth it. I am pooped at the end of the day (breakfast Thanksgiving morning is muffins and coffee and juice). Turkeys are usually down to 69 or 79 cents per pound a week before Thanksgiving and they have to be confirmed at least a week before and holidays I make the cancel time 7 days. Sage is fresh in my herb garden, I bake an extra loaf of bread for the stuffing and get a roast out of the freezer locker. The pork roast is usually the most expensive thing other than the pickles & olives. Getting the tub of the period clothes down from the shelf is among the hardest parts. I usually end up bopping myself as I pull it down from the top shelf and putting it back up is just as interesting.

One year a man called and assured me he would book a room for three nights, dependant on a fine dining restaurant being open T'Day for brunch or dinner. I found a nice place for them, and booked them a table. It was a sad time for them - so they wanted to get away - - as often is the case over the holidays with many people. Those are the times we have memories full-on of those we are no longer near, or share our lives with.
Years ago I remember being told not only the higher incidence of suicide over the holidays, but also add to it an increase in drunkeness and overall bad behavior.
So for those of us who won't stay open over New Years fearing the worst, Thanksgiving and Christmas have a possible recipe for disaster as well.
We try to host families visiting the area as an overflow or option to staying at the rel's house and be locked in there with no place to go. I have found the guests come back to destress and really appreciate staying at a BnB over Thanksgiving. We'll see what we get this year! It is always "potluck" excuse the pun. :).
We also had a couple book at Christmas but not the package. Their divorced son was getting his kids for Christmas and they were all gathering at the home of the new wife's grandmother who lived near me. Not enough room for all so his parents stayed here.
Other times - all-school reunions - we have had "children" stay here so they did not have to be on Mom's schedule and could go visit thier friends without upsetting Mom becausethey were going some place other than her house. They could "go back to the B & B" via a buddy's house.

No way, no how! We stayed open for Thanksgiving our first year here. We ended up having 3/9 rooms booked, but even if we had been totally full it would not have been worth the two sad mopey faces here all day, missing dinner with our family. Our PO's used to shut down and invite all their family here, but by that time of the year we are good and sick of hosting anyone. We are fortunate to have both sets of parents and grandparents within a 2 hour drive...we go to them and LOVE having them host us instead.
With Christmas being a Friday this year we also debated what to do, but we are closing for that entire weekend as well. Time with our loved ones is just too precious to be missed.

No way, no how! We stayed open for Thanksgiving our first year here. We ended up having 3/9 rooms booked, but even if we had been totally full it would not have been worth the two sad mopey faces here all day, missing dinner with our family. Our PO's used to shut down and invite all their family here, but by that time of the year we are good and sick of hosting anyone. We are fortunate to have both sets of parents and grandparents within a 2 hour drive...we go to them and LOVE having them host us instead.
With Christmas being a Friday this year we also debated what to do, but we are closing for that entire weekend as well. Time with our loved ones is just too precious to be missed..
We stay open because our closest kid is 600 miles away. That time of year roads between WV and Illinois can go from totally dry wonderful pavement to treacherous in an hour. We do not want us or the kids on the roads that time of year. Last year we started doing Christmas with them when they come here - whatever month it is. I do not put the tree up - although I have thought about it but am too lazy to go into the attic for the ornament tub. This way we get to see the grandkids open their presents.

We will be open. Not cooking dinner for guests only family and we do not allow check-ins on Thanksgiving day

Wow. I guess we really are the laid back B&B. We have always been open for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes we have done dinner here for friends and family too, but never for guests. A few times guests have used their kitchen in the suite to make holiday dinner for their son or daughter in town by themselves for work or school.
A few years back we a guest was looking for a good place to have Thanksgiving dinner out, and we found out that one of our favorite wine bistros was doing a huge buffet with everything you can imagine and more, (besides having great wines). We booked for the guests, and went as well. Now we haven't cooked for a few years because this bistro, (with no prep or clean up), is a great holiday for everyone. Guests do it. We do it. Friends and family do it - and we all have a blast.
We still buy the turkey on sale, but we cook it a few weeks later without the stress of a holiday. Gotta have the turkey leftovers for enchiladas! For Christmas we get the guests in on lighting the luminarias and they love that. For Christmas diner we have had a big New Mexican food buffet, but only when we have repeat guests, and it is no charge, just our gift to them for being loyal. No matter what though, there is always a little gift on everyone's plate on Christmas morning. We do presents with the family later in the day. Christmas with guests has always been rewarding.

Back