Wind me up first thing in the morning...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be something in the air. When I feel totally moronic, you always manage to make me feel better. All I know is that I suddenly didn't want to be brave any more. I know I'll rally when I need to, but I worry so much about letting people down and I was so disappointed in myself for getting "over wrought" when I know that the season even isn't in full swing yet.

haha camberly ... i was making breakfast when i could hear some yelling .... just before 8 AM, some ladies were yelling down that they needed help with their suitcases ... i came to the stairs wiping pancake batter on my soiled apron in time to be met by one of the ladies throwing her suitcase down the stairs. unreal! nice (male) guest grabbed the other 3 cases and brought them down for me/her/us .... he was laughing and shaking his head ...

I know whre you can come to for some peace & quiet.....
gillumhouse said:
I know whre you can come to for some peace & quiet....
No time now until November! I'm in it up to my eyeballs from here on out.
New for me - I had my first ever "pre-season" break down this weekend. Stupid tears for no sensible reason, brought on by a lack of sleep (my fault) and a lunch time beer. The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine. I guess I was just getting all the angst out the way first .... bottom line - I felt like a total idiot.
UKMaineiac said:
New for me - I had my first ever "pre-season" break down this weekend. Stupid tears for no sensible reason, brought on by a lack of sleep (my fault) and a lunch time beer. The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine. I guess I was just getting all the angst out the way first .... bottom line - I felt like a total idiot.
Not an idiot. Just human.
And an innkeeper who knows what's coming. Perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed by it all from time to time.
And just think. You're going to be so busy that the time will fly. It will be winter again before you know it.
Meanwhile, big invisible hugs are heading your way.

Anyone consider installing a lift?
Like a dumb waiter........perhaps one just for luggage.......or possibly a 2 person kind of elevator?

Like a dumb waiter........perhaps one just for luggage.......or possibly a 2 person kind of elevator?.
Boy, a dumb waiter would be the bomb. If we had a place for that, I'd put it in. Great for laundry, luggage, moving small furniture. But, alas, no room here at all. Every sq in of space has been dedicated to guest space. I would love just having a linen closet upstairs!

yeah........storage, closets.............it's a huge issue
I've seen some floor plans where a main floor hallway closet is directly below an above floor closet.........that would be good for a lift of sorts.........OK, yeah...........I understand............if all the stars would in perfect alignment......that would be ideal
Have to admit though.............innkeeping business......these are things that must be considered.
I had seen a property listing for a private residence in Western NY........elevator that would go from basement to the attic..........that would be 4 floors.........apparently the sellers had a wheel chaired child....and the home was cheap..........compared to what I know of real estate where I am.

A DUMB WAITER for linens. I can toss them down the laundry chute but have to haul them all back up!

Like a dumb waiter........perhaps one just for luggage.......or possibly a 2 person kind of elevator?.
When he was doing the scraping wallpaper. patching, painting of the upstairs (I was still in Illinois earning $$$), DH rigged up a rope and bucket or something, I never did see it, to haul things upstairs since hauling himself was all that he could accomplish. There are still rope marks on the railings..... "I neer thought about it doing that....."

A dumbwaiter for linens would just have to be the greatest convenience for an innkeeper. I can't imagine anyone not wanting one, unless their rooms are all on one level.
Sadly most just don't have the space in America.
Ah, but to dream...

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring.
...bottom line - I felt like a total idiot.
{{Hugs}} your way. I don't think you should feel like an idiot...I think it's human nature. You are a wonderful innkeeper and a breakdown here and there are not going to hurt anyone. Imagine if you didn't break down. I think you'd be brittle and raw without letting out all those emotions.
heart.gif

I am trying to figure out a way to put one on the back that would run from the top floor to the old kitchen which is where we store all the laundry We could easily put access on each floor its just getting it all costed.

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine.
Gosh, this is how I'm feeling, too!
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine.
=)
Kk.
We each take our turn on melt-down. It is just different things that are the "last straw" that sets us off. No offense meant to you men, but most of us here are women who are expected to (at least it is this way in MY house) take care of the inn, keep track of family obligations, take care of the owners quarters and laundry, cook for the family (DH at least does his own food - not mine) , etc, etc It does get overwhelming - and taking care of kids besides! I was not operating a B & B when my kids were growing up - I was working 2 jobs and attending functions, involved in PTA and room mother, etc so I DO know what you are going through - all of you with kids. I commend you and know you are strong people. Your kids will grow up to be stong and "survivors" because you are showing them how to be good people.

Must be something in the air. When I feel totally moronic, you always manage to make me feel better. All I know is that I suddenly didn't want to be brave any more. I know I'll rally when I need to, but I worry so much about letting people down and I was so disappointed in myself for getting "over wrought" when I know that the season even isn't in full swing yet..
Hugs to you, Maineiac. Isn't it nice to have a place to come and let your hair down?

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
Apparently, it's an epidemic, and this woman from western Washington does not even run a B&B. She posted this on her blog this morning, and I just had to add it here because the picture is so appropriate, even if the actual circumstances are not. ;)

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
Apparently, it's an epidemic, and this woman from western Washington does not even run a B&B. She posted this on her blog this morning, and I just had to add it here because the picture is so appropriate, even if the actual circumstances are not. ;)
Do any of these 'have to do it all' moms realize they are channeling the moms of the 50's who had NO outlet for their frustrations. Anyone wonder why women are diagnosed with more mental illness than men? Or why 'mother's little helper' was not a housekeeper, but a pill?
Why, oh, why do they think a meltdown is inappropriate when they are doing the work of 5 people? Sure, lots of families had gardens and everyone 'ate from scratch' years ago, but there were also multi-generations living in one household. While mom was doing 'x', grandma was doing 'y' and grandpa was doing 'z' and EVERYONE was pitching in.
That story with the kids who have a 2 hour span to go to their rooms to do whatever should have read, 'from 2-4 in the afternoon my kids are in the garden pulling weeds, vacuuming, doing laundry, etc'.
Stop the insanity. Get off the 'perfect mother' roller coaster. NO ONE appreciates it. NO ONE. The kids will still be in therapy later on! The husbands will still find other women. No matter what you do it will never be enough. (Spoken like a true innkeeper, I know!
wink_smile.gif
)

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
Do any of these 'have to do it all' moms realize they are channeling the moms of the 50's who had NO outlet for their frustrations. Anyone wonder why women are diagnosed with more mental illness than men? Or why 'mother's little helper' was not a housekeeper, but a pill?
Why, oh, why do they think a meltdown is inappropriate when they are doing the work of 5 people? Sure, lots of families had gardens and everyone 'ate from scratch' years ago, but there were also multi-generations living in one household. While mom was doing 'x', grandma was doing 'y' and grandpa was doing 'z' and EVERYONE was pitching in.
That story with the kids who have a 2 hour span to go to their rooms to do whatever should have read, 'from 2-4 in the afternoon my kids are in the garden pulling weeds, vacuuming, doing laundry, etc'.
Stop the insanity. Get off the 'perfect mother' roller coaster. NO ONE appreciates it. NO ONE. The kids will still be in therapy later on! The husbands will still find other women. No matter what you do it will never be enough. (Spoken like a true innkeeper, I know!
wink_smile.gif
)
Morticia - "That story with the kids who have a 2 hour span to go to their rooms to do whatever should have read, 'from 2-4 in the afternoon my kids are in the garden pulling weeds, vacuuming, doing laundry, etc'."But heavens NO, that would be against child labor laws or some crazy other law... (edited to add, this is written with a heck of sarcasm in my fingers - lol)

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
wink_smile.gif
)
My soapbox is that they do not think to actually teach the kids to do chores like laundry or dishes or cleaning. They are supposed to have a "happy childhood". OK, now what happens when they are now adults having to fend for themselves? Why do they think the trend is now for kids to still be living with the Ps, as out kids call us, when they are 30 and older. They do not know how to do the things our parents insisted we do.
Sorry, just my old fogie opinion.

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
wink_smile.gif
)
My soapbox is that they do not think to actually teach the kids to do chores like laundry or dishes or cleaning. They are supposed to have a "happy childhood". OK, now what happens when they are now adults having to fend for themselves? Why do they think the trend is now for kids to still be living with the Ps, as out kids call us, when they are 30 and older. They do not know how to do the things our parents insisted we do.
Sorry, just my old fogie opinion.
gillumhouse said:
My soapbox is that they do not think to actually teach the kids to do chores like laundry or dishes or cleaning. They are supposed to have a "happy childhood". OK, now what happens when they are now adults having to fend for themselves?
My opinion, too. Parents who don't instill the value of hard work into their children are doing them a real disservice. They are setting them up for a lifetime of disappointment. IMHO.

Back