Window Air Conditioners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
We have window air conditioners in the summer for the guests, based on the size of the room. Here's my problem....
They can be set with temperatures of 16c to 27c (60 f to 80f). They are supposed to be set to 22c (72 f) and work effeciently at that temperature. Guests seem to assume that if they set it to the lowest temperature the air that would come out would be colder. But it's like a thermostat, it's the desired room temperature. Sometimes it's cold at night and the air conditioner can freeze if it is set too low.
I can't seem to come up with an appropriate way to tell guests to leave it set to 22c. They just assume that it's the temp of the air coming out. Anyone else dealing with this? How do you deal with it? Do you leave signs? Even if I take out the remote, it won't help, they can change it at the controls on the front.

I don't have an answer for you, but it sounds like my husband who likes to set the thermostat at 71 - I think he thinks it will get colder faster or something. Just set it at the temp you want it to be - I sneakily reset it at 74 or 73 and he is none the wiser.
You could put a note saying "for maximum efficiency please leave set at 22c otherwise a repair may be needed" No one wants to break it and have no A/C at all!

We have window air conditioners. We set them at 75º F and tell each guest that we have set it to a "comfortable temperature", but they are welcome to lower or raise it. The A.C.s do such a good job of removing the humidity(which is high) that 75º feels very comfortable. Seldom has anyone set lower than 72º.

The eternal problem. There is no way to solve this. People are not very bright. ;)

What I check for, because ours are old fashioned without the digital readout, is that the vent is closed if it's hot enough for the A/C to be turned on. Too many guests just hit the 'On' button and the last guest may have just had the fan part in use.
Other than a sign or mentioning it on arrival, I'm not sure what else you could do.

Sorry, but I'm of those people that would turn it down...way down. When you come from an area like where we live and travel to somewhere hot and humid, it just kills us. I would not be able to sleep if the room were in the 70s and probably still humid (I know ac takes some of the humidity out). I was just in DC and Philly and the first thing we did when entering our room (hotels) was turn the ac down. The lowest it would let us go is 68, so there it stayed for our entire stay.

Sorry, but I'm of those people that would turn it down...way down. When you come from an area like where we live and travel to somewhere hot and humid, it just kills us. I would not be able to sleep if the room were in the 70s and probably still humid (I know ac takes some of the humidity out). I was just in DC and Philly and the first thing we did when entering our room (hotels) was turn the ac down. The lowest it would let us go is 68, so there it stayed for our entire stay..
Continuing a little off topic....I understand this, Diva, since I live in the Deep South. But when you've been here a day or so, it's almost bone-chilling to walk from 100F into a really cold house, the temperature differential of 32 degrees is too much. Ceiling fans are a great invention to move already cooled air!
wink_smile.gif

Since we closed our business, we watched our Summer electric bill drop from $700+/month in our main house to less than $300. We keep our central A/C set to 76 when the temps climb close to 100F. Like today....

My window units have high,low,fan and a dal to turn for cooler. So far so good. I have not had to replace any. Guests usualy walk in (I have already turned it on low to cool before arrival) and set it to high where it stays until I turn it down when they leave. I guess it does not register as cool (to the guests) unless it is going full blast.

My window units have high,low,fan and a dal to turn for cooler. So far so good. I have not had to replace any. Guests usualy walk in (I have already turned it on low to cool before arrival) and set it to high where it stays until I turn it down when they leave. I guess it does not register as cool (to the guests) unless it is going full blast..
We'll turn on one A/C unit upstairs to cool off that area, but not every one in every room. Guests show up 'whenever' and it could already be naturally cool by the time they get around to arriving. (I know, totally dependent on location!)

My window units have high,low,fan and a dal to turn for cooler. So far so good. I have not had to replace any. Guests usualy walk in (I have already turned it on low to cool before arrival) and set it to high where it stays until I turn it down when they leave. I guess it does not register as cool (to the guests) unless it is going full blast..
We'll turn on one A/C unit upstairs to cool off that area, but not every one in every room. Guests show up 'whenever' and it could already be naturally cool by the time they get around to arriving. (I know, totally dependent on location!)
The A/C on is only in occupied rooms. I turn it on about 3 PM IF needed. We run the central A/C down stairs a couple cycles in the morning if it feels humid and then off it goes. The house is usually at least 10 degrees cooler than outside. The upstairs can get warm in the afternoons. We are not in "scorcher country" normally. My summer electric bills are usually around $150 or less dependng on how many guests that month. Summer gas bills are as low as $8 or as high as $15. Winter gas bills could easily go to $500 if we did not keep the thermostat down. Guest area is on electric so that can soar also.

Machine WindTunnel Pet Go back – Priced at $100 the last time I examined, the Machine Pet Go back features many add-on resources created for looking after pet locks. Made with a special rubberized content, pet locks can be easily eliminated from rug or any other furniture you may have. Another element is the fact that it has 27 legs worth of cable which means you do not have to be regularly connecting and disconnecting your machine from space to space. With a foldable manage for better storage space, you cannot go wrong with this one .

Hey Jon, have you tried to contact the professional AC Repair Phoenix company? They will help you out and will guide you what steps you need to take or which things need to be repair

Back