Window blinds/shades

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We have gone thru shades (no one knows how to use them, got them so tightly wound up they would pop off the window when lowered).
Now we're going thru blinds. Again, no one knows how to use them. They are cranked so tightly in the wrong direction they cannot be raised or lowered. So the guest just yanks on them.
We just replaced the 10th one today.
What do you have on your windows that actually works? Need a style and a brand.
I've tried Roman shades in one room but they are never level.
We just switched out all the lace curtains for opaque drapes but the windows look bare without the blinds as well. And they help cut down the 4 am sun rise!

Washable curtains on rods. Slip curtains either way you like, when they need a wash, in the washer, quick iron and back on again.

Washable curtains on rods. Slip curtains either way you like, when they need a wash, in the washer, quick iron and back on again..
Not enough. The windows look bare with the curtains open and the room is dead dark with them closed. We're on a main drag, I need something to block prying eyes.

I don't think there is anything 100% guest proof! - like I need to tell that to anyone here!!!
I agree with needing more than curtains to give a finished look as well as keeping out the sun.

We use to have the skinny blinds with sheers, those were broken and replaced more times than I want to admit
embaressed_smile.gif
before we spent the high dollar on the large louvered wooden blinds. These have held up very well so far - I am thinking we put them in in 2010 or 11. KNOCKING on WOOD - so far no breaks or repairs. And they clean very easily.

While they are the 'room darkening' style (this meaning no holes in the slats, they still do not close as tightly as I wished and let in a little light with each slat. Only 1 room gets the heavy morning light and while I really do not like heavy drapes, I am toying with the idea of placing them in that room for true darkness.

Washable curtains on rods. Slip curtains either way you like, when they need a wash, in the washer, quick iron and back on again..
Not enough. The windows look bare with the curtains open and the room is dead dark with them closed. We're on a main drag, I need something to block prying eyes.
The lace curtain trick wont work? Lace under curtains, then cotton on a wider rod that stands out a bit from the window. Works for us because we have an old house.
(we feel your pain re: the blinds. We also have apartments and some tenants just destroy them)

I have used a double curtain rod since we opened in 1996 - same rods. The cheap white rods you get for your kitchen at Family Doll ar for I think $3. I have sheers on the inner rod and room darkening drapes with hold backs screwed into the window frames. Guests DO have a habit of putting the sheers behind the hold back but that is no biggie. To close the drapes they just lift them from behind the hold back (they look like they are brass but I am sure it is brass coated). The drapes I prefer to have the rod pocket drapes but I had the hooks kind of pleated drapes for years. So far, no broken rods, no ripped sheers.

Cheap Sears catalog blinds. Rarely have to replace them. Wash them once or twice a year by filling up the bath tub with warm water and a bottle of vinegar. Then put the whole bunch of blinds in and let soak for a few hours. Swish around once in awhile. Drain tub, fill with warm water to rinse them. No curtains out here in the country. No spying eyes except birds and flies!! Makes the room look so much bigger without curtains. There is a great view from every window.

we have the cellular shades. Graber crystal pleat. never had a problem with them. i purchaes some from penneys last year to put on some windows that didnt have any. they really help block out the cold and heat. no drawstrings,you just pull or push up on the little handle at the bottom of the shades. they were not very expensive either.

The lace curtain trick wont work? Lace under curtains, then cotton on a wider rod that stands out a bit from the window. Works for us because we have an old house.
(we feel your pain re: the blinds. We also have apartments and some tenants just destroy them)
I'm done with lace. Sick of being compared to grandma's house in a bad way. Just sent the last lace curtain to Goodwill.
That's me. I get lace looks grand in the right setting.

I don't think there is anything 100% guest proof! - like I need to tell that to anyone here!!!
I agree with needing more than curtains to give a finished look as well as keeping out the sun.

We use to have the skinny blinds with sheers, those were broken and replaced more times than I want to admit
embaressed_smile.gif
before we spent the high dollar on the large louvered wooden blinds. These have held up very well so far - I am thinking we put them in in 2010 or 11. KNOCKING on WOOD - so far no breaks or repairs. And they clean very easily.

While they are the 'room darkening' style (this meaning no holes in the slats, they still do not close as tightly as I wished and let in a little light with each slat. Only 1 room gets the heavy morning light and while I really do not like heavy drapes, I am toying with the idea of placing them in that room for true darkness..
We have the skinny ones. Thinking of the wide, wooden ones that open and close in either direction. Everyone thinks they're clever and they turn the blinds so anyone walking by on the street can look right in.
If the blinds don't fully close that way why the hell do people leave them like that? And then crank and crank to force then to close. Which they won't. They'll just get jammed and then break.

I'm done with lace. Sick of being compared to grandma's house in a bad way. Just sent the last lace curtain to Goodwill.
That's me. I get lace looks grand in the right setting.
My sheers do not look like lace. They are just white.

Eclipse brand blackout curtains. I've totally given up on anything else. I've thrown on mini blinds, I've thrown out venetians, I've trashed cellular and even roman shades. The only thing that works for me are black out curtains. The upside to this is that they are actually energy efficient. They sell them at the Cost Club, JCP etc.

Double rods with sheers. Or get a double rod with a valance across. We pull curtains back and have tie backs.

Eclipse brand blackout curtains. I've totally given up on anything else. I've thrown on mini blinds, I've thrown out venetians, I've trashed cellular and even roman shades. The only thing that works for me are black out curtains. The upside to this is that they are actually energy efficient. They sell them at the Cost Club, JCP etc..
I have some of these in one bedroom over my cellular shades.
a business went in below us and they put up a lit sign that glows all night!grrrrrrr
we dont have guests but we use the room when family visits or when i need it and they really work well.

in anticipation of the new baby, my daughter is replacing all the cord blinds with pleated shades as empty nest describes. me, too. they seam sturdy and i like the look.

Back