Window Treatments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternMass

Reaction score
hey guys

still working on getting our place together (7 suite boutique hotel)

trying to figure out all the blinds/curtains/etc

Im pretty sure they have to be "fire rated" for code

we had one company pitch us, but they were crazy expensive (like $500 per window)

any advice on styles and/or vendors is much appreciated!

I went to Penny's and bought lined drapes in the sizes and colors I needed. The only drapes in my house that were "custom made" are in the Library. When I walked into that room (first looking) I could see it as a Library with a burgundy area rug and velvet drapes. Impossible to find even in 1995. They cost me in material & sewing fees $1200 - I was going to go with a different fabric but Himself said, No, that is what you want and you will not be really happy with anything else. My one big splurge (as much a the gas bill for a year - $40 per yard for fabric).

You’ll need to verify the fire code. The rules are different by category (hotel vs B&B, for example) and they vary by state, too.

Now on to the the other point. You want blackout curtains, whatever shape they take. You want an easy to operate curtain system. You don’t want those horrible, noisy chain things! As a guest, I like the double curtain with a sheer and a blackout curtain. The ones with the plastic wand sewed in seem to work the best for multiple people constantly yanking on them. Don’t forget the valance to block light at the top. Fitting the curtains to the windows and decor is worth hiring someone to get it right.

Does that cost $500/window? Probably. Everything costs more when you’re a business.

I shopped everything myself. We had blinds (don’t do that, no one can work them) and drapes over the blinds (I got the ones with grommets that just slide on the curtain rod). Per window it was $40 per panel + $40 per blinds + $50 for the rod = under $200. But, I had a B&B. Not a boutique hotel. (Bed Bath & Beyond)

This is a big investment for the room. You want durability as well as something that stands the test of time in re fashion. Essentially, yes get quotes, but don’t go cheap.

...I could see it as a Library with a burgundy area rug and velvet drapes...
A wonderful memory, and glad himself realized "happy wife, happy life." I'm just trying to decide if I want to picture you as Scarlet O'Hara in the dress made from velvet drapes, or Carol Burnett wearing the curtains and the curtain rod!

curtains.jpg

This is a big investment for the room. You want durability as well as something that stands the test of time in re fashion. Essentially, yes get quotes, but don’t go cheap.
Excellent advice. It's a big investment, so you'll probably be stuck with them for a long time. Don't go cheap. Durability is so important because guests won't treat your things as gently as you threat your things.

A wonderful memory, and glad himself realized "happy wife, happy life." I'm just trying to decide if I want to picture you as Scarlet O'Hara in the dress made from velvet drapes, or Carol Burnett wearing the curtains and the curtain rod!

View attachment 199

Definitely Carol. You have met me, we both know I could never carry it off as Scarlett!

Check code. We bought online. I won't do blinds because guests don't know how to use them... seriously. Doesn't matter what kind... they all die. I use blackout curtains and good ones. Never had a single complaint and guests often tell me that they love that it will blacken the room fully.

Back