Windows and Bed Placement

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I have some smaller rooms where I could go from two twins to a queen, but the bed will have to be either across a window or across a corner. I find both of these awkward at best, do others feel this way? Would this affect bookings?

#1 don't give up all your two twin bedrooms - sometimes they are requested or you can get the linens that make it possible to turn it into a King room.
#2 If by "across a corner" you mean that the bed is put at an angle in the room (you could conceivably put a lamp in the corner and it could be used as a reading lamp) - I think this is fine and I have seen it done before. I was going to send a picture, but I couldn't copy the picture. Wonder if it is against all feng shui rules?

I would love to put a couple of beds in front of the windows because it would give me so much more room! But, I think it looks odd from the outside and then you have guests climbing on the beds or moving them to get the windows open. On an angle works if the room is the right shape but you lose a lot of real estate that way. Would this be the only window in the room? If not, you could put a wall of curtains behind the bed and make the window disappear.
I agree with not losing all of the 2-twin rooms. It's a pain to make the twins into a king (and they really should be x-long twins) but you will get decent use out of 2 twins.
BTW, I asked a regular guest what they would think about my putting the bed in front of the second window and they told me it would be too cold in the winter.

If you want to follow feng shui...... :)
The first step in creating good feng shui energy in your bedroom is to do your best in meeting the feng shui bed guidelines. Let's assume you already have a good feng shui bed just waiting for the right placement in your bedroom!
The second step is to examine the bedroom and see if you can place the bed in the ideal feng shui spot for your bed - the so-called feng shui commanding position.
Feng shui commanding position is the area further from the door / diagonally from the door, but not in line with the door. In other words, you want to be able to see the door while in bed, but not be aligned with the door.
The other feng shui criteria for a good bed placement are:
  • Good supporting wall behind your bed.
  • Grounding and balanced energy on both sides (e.g. nightstands.)
  • No sharp angles (from wall or furniture corners) pointing at you while you sleep.
It is always smart to position your bed away from the walls that have electric appliances on either side (the computer, the fridge, or the TV.) And, of course, it is
best feng shuito limit (or completely eliminate!) the electrical appliances in your bedroom.
=>
Watch the Bedroom Feng Shui Short Video Tip

I have two of my beds at an angle across a corner and I love it. I just recently moved one in The Butler's Room. There is only one "plain" wall, the others have floor-to-ceiling windows or a fireplace, but the plain wall was next to the main staircase and next to the door to the room AND the front door, which never felt right. The only option was across a corner. I'm still making one window inaccessible, but there are three others and having just read CatLady's bed guidelines it looks as if I'm on the right track.
If you look at The Butler's Room (the blue and white room) on our website you'll see what I mean. These are only temporary pics, but I used to have a queen size bed where the arm chairs are. Now I have a king bed in the corner and the queen bed is in The Cook's Room, which is our smallest room so makes much more sense.
The other angled bed is The Groundskeeper's Room. Because of the angled ceiling there is no other option, but it works well.
Edited to add, I totally agree with keeping at least a few twin-bedded rooms. We have a lot of demand for rooms with two beds.

Thanks for the ideas. I will have too many windows for wall space. As I bump some rooms together, I will lose some doors into the hall, but some rooms will still have a dearth of wall space. I thought if I put a bed across a corner, I could hang a long drape behind it to "create" the feeling of a wall. The whole place has a strong positive energy--sounds a little weird, but it does, many have commented on it--so I am not so concerned about feng-shui. I can work with that too though, can't hurt!

I have two of my beds at an angle across a corner and I love it. I just recently moved one in The Butler's Room. There is only one "plain" wall, the others have floor-to-ceiling windows or a fireplace, but the plain wall was next to the main staircase and next to the door to the room AND the front door, which never felt right. The only option was across a corner. I'm still making one window inaccessible, but there are three others and having just read CatLady's bed guidelines it looks as if I'm on the right track.
If you look at The Butler's Room (the blue and white room) on our website you'll see what I mean. These are only temporary pics, but I used to have a queen size bed where the arm chairs are. Now I have a king bed in the corner and the queen bed is in The Cook's Room, which is our smallest room so makes much more sense.
The other angled bed is The Groundskeeper's Room. Because of the angled ceiling there is no other option, but it works well.
Edited to add, I totally agree with keeping at least a few twin-bedded rooms. We have a lot of demand for rooms with two beds..
That makes so much more sense. The headboard against the staircase and right next to the front door must have been noisy in that room. Have you had any repeat guests back yet to 'test drive' the new arrangement?

If you want to follow feng shui...... :)
The first step in creating good feng shui energy in your bedroom is to do your best in meeting the feng shui bed guidelines. Let's assume you already have a good feng shui bed just waiting for the right placement in your bedroom!
The second step is to examine the bedroom and see if you can place the bed in the ideal feng shui spot for your bed - the so-called feng shui commanding position.
Feng shui commanding position is the area further from the door / diagonally from the door, but not in line with the door. In other words, you want to be able to see the door while in bed, but not be aligned with the door.
The other feng shui criteria for a good bed placement are:
  • Good supporting wall behind your bed.
  • Grounding and balanced energy on both sides (e.g. nightstands.)
  • No sharp angles (from wall or furniture corners) pointing at you while you sleep.
It is always smart to position your bed away from the walls that have electric appliances on either side (the computer, the fridge, or the TV.) And, of course, it is
best feng shuito limit (or completely eliminate!) the electrical appliances in your bedroom.
=>
Watch the Bedroom Feng Shui Short Video Tip.
Thank you Catlady for all the Feng Shui info! I've been meaning to look it up...now it is right here at my fingertips! I may be rearranging furniture in my own house!

Edited to add, I totally agree with keeping at least a few twin-bedded rooms. We have a lot of demand for rooms with two beds..
That makes so much more sense. The headboard against the staircase and right next to the front door must have been noisy in that room. Have you had any repeat guests back yet to 'test drive' the new arrangement?
my repeats like the new arrangement. Honestly - as far as noise goes, the previous placement didn't seem to be an issue. We have really thick, old-house walls, but I never felt good about the old arrangement. I hated the fact the bed was an obstacle when you first walked in and I hated the fact that the bed wasn't "front and center" as the room's focal point.
Moving the queen up and the king down was the biggest obstacle, but I was more obstinate the the obstacle :) It HAD to happen.

i don't know feng shui so can't comment on that ... i did have people tell me they 'felt good' staying with me ... but i put that down to my awesome personality
wink_smile.gif

i had angled beds in some rooms and think they look awesome. try angling one twin and putting things beside it or stick painting tape on the floor to the size of a queen and work with it a few days ... see how it feels to you. if there's enough room.
i am not a fan of twin beds. we had people grumbling wanting 'nothing smaller than a queen' and did i have a room with two queens. for me, the room we had with twins booked last but it also had the bathroom beside and not as part of the guest room so that may have contributed to the booking issue.
i don't know what your guests are likely to want ... you have to work with what you've got. and listen to their suggestions. some of the BEST suggestions come from guests.

I agree with Seashanty...not a big fan of twin beds, except for kids, unless they're put together well to make a King size bed. I think most adults that are sleeping alone in a bed prefer at least a full size bed.
I don't think putting the bed in a corner on a angle is an issue as long as you provide lighting on both sides of the bed and something for folks to put small items on next to the bed (like eyeglasses, a book, water glass, etc.).

Back