Wine Tasting at your B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What about this idea? Have any of you (not already in a vineyard/winery) done this at your B&B?
What is required?
Would you open it to the public (licensing done via the wine sellers/promoters) like they do at little country stores or art galleries etc? Or would it be a package for overnight guests only?
(Just throwing out ideas FOR OTHERS, as an fyi)

We could get away with it here if we didn't charge for it...you're allowed to give alcohol away but not charge for it.

I have been told here in Virginia we are not allowed to give wine away, we must charge for it as in a package or part of the room rate.
Here in Charlottesville one must purchase a day tasting license. In my County they don't allow B&Bs to have two licenses for one property, such as a B&B license and a one day wine tasting license. Makes no sense to me but that's why I didn't make our function room part of our B&B.
In our area however, the wineries have I think up to 5 satelite licenses which means they can do wine tasting up to five different locations.
But you'll have to have a good amount of people to make it worth their while to pack up all the wine and come over. At least 12 or more people who you expect will purchase, not just taste.
So you need to check with your ABC to find out what is required for a tasting. We can actually apply for the one day tasting fee license online here in Virginia.
We used to do tastings all the time at one B&B in Napa. But Virginia has some catching up to do to understand the sales value of that, I think.
RIki

I think it's a great idea.
Definitely anyone who wants to do it needs to check with local licensing. Also, around here, the purveyors may not host more than one off-site/month so it has to be worth their while to come to the property. ie- you'll have to promise them enough people in attendance to make sales worth the trip.
Also, it may be required that the property have a license as well. I haven't checked on that as these sorts of things just don't seem to get enough participation here.

Definitely anyone who wants to do it needs to check with local licensing. Also, around here, the purveyors may not host more than one off-site/month so it has to be worth their while to come to the property. ie- you'll have to promise them enough people in attendance to make sales worth the trip.
Also, it may be required that the property have a license as well. I haven't checked on that as these sorts of things just don't seem to get enough participation here..
If your regs allow it find a local wine shop and arrange to do tastings with them and their sales reps and / or wine dinners. The wine shop will take care of the wine and wiill have the ability to sell it.
Riki

Also, it may be required that the property have a license as well. I haven't checked on that as these sorts of things just don't seem to get enough participation here..
If your regs allow it find a local wine shop and arrange to do tastings with them and their sales reps and / or wine dinners. The wine shop will take care of the wine and wiill have the ability to sell it.
Riki
We talked about it with them but the sticking point was that I needed a license to host the event. (At least that's what I remember at this point.)
Yes, the wine shop could go off premise, but I think they have to go somewhere that is licensed. UNLESS it's a private party. So, I could do friends, but not paying guests. Or, the guests could arrange it, but I could have nothing to do with it.
You have to remember that we invented Prohibition here.
cry_smile.gif
The latest kerfuffle is that children may not witness a wine tasting. So, any property doing tastings has to cover their windows in case a child might wander by. Even the children of the owner may not be present.

Riki
We talked about it with them but the sticking point was that I needed a license to host the event. (At least that's what I remember at this point.)
Yes, the wine shop could go off premise, but I think they have to go somewhere that is licensed. UNLESS it's a private party. So, I could do friends, but not paying guests. Or, the guests could arrange it, but I could have nothing to do with it.
cry_smile.gif
The latest kerfuffle is that children may not witness a wine tasting. So, any property doing tastings has to cover their windows in case a child might wander by. Even the children of the owner may not be present.
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
Unbelievable. But I bet any of those children can go hunting and shoot a gun with their parents. But watch a wine tasting? Geeze.
RIki

Riki
cry_smile.gif
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
Unbelievable. But I bet any of those children can go hunting and shoot a gun with their parents. But watch a wine tasting? Geeze.
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
She's not in the south. :)

Riki
cry_smile.gif
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Don't have to be in this country. My DH grew up in Vermont shooting at deer since he was teeny. So did his brother. They were handling guns since they were 10. But forbid they see someone taste any wine!!!
RIki

I guess something to do would be to contact the wineries within a short drive - like the innkeeper in Indiana had mentioned a couple 30 mins or less now near them now. I think the wine tasting being a local wine would be the main draw for out of the area, right?
Obv if you wanted it to be a winemaker's dinner, Author event or catered function - then the caterer needs the license for that too, just thought I would toss it out there for anyone interested.
I was mainly talking about a wine tasting event - not combined with caterers and dinner etc. Something a B&B could manage.
Could information sharing what is POSSIBLE instead of what you cannot do where you are.

Riki
cry_smile.gif
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Don't have to be in this country. My DH grew up in Vermont shooting at deer since he was teeny. So did his brother. They were handling guns since they were 10. But forbid they see someone taste any wine!!!
RIki
egoodell said:
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
RIki
It was a joke, which is why I put a smiley on the end of it. Yes they also shoot deer in CA, and FLA, etc.

I guess something to do would be to contact the wineries within a short drive - like the innkeeper in Indiana had mentioned a couple 30 mins or less now near them now. I think the wine tasting being a local wine would be the main draw for out of the area, right?
Obv if you wanted it to be a winemaker's dinner, Author event or catered function - then the caterer needs the license for that too, just thought I would toss it out there for anyone interested.
I was mainly talking about a wine tasting event - not combined with caterers and dinner etc. Something a B&B could manage.
Could information sharing what is POSSIBLE instead of what you cannot do where you are..
Wine tasting at a B&B is possible - but you will have to have enough people for the winery to be bothered. They are not going to come over and do it if they don't think there will be enough to sell wine to. And very often you have to really check the group to find out if they just want free wine or if they are truly interested in tasting and purchasing.
That's why the wine dinners are popular. The winery knows they will get a piece of the business and often people at wine dinners will place orders.
RIki

I purchased the services of a wine columnist for a wine tassting (with the wine provided by a distributor) at the Silent Auction at the Governor's Conference on Tourism - twice. I used it as a fundraiser for our Christmas Lights owned by our non-profit Area Development Association (this is not the same org as our newly created Development Authority that is an arm of my City - the City does not own the Christmas lights). We held it in Council Chambers and SADA provided the cheeses and fruits to cleanse the pallettes. Each person attending got a hand-blown goblet for the tasting (and it was theirs after) supplied by SADA from my stock of goblets. We charged $25 per and made $1000 each tasting because it was for the Lights - i sold a lot of tickets to people who had no intention (as I planned) to come. We had about 12 - 16 people come each timw. Several couples attended each tasting @ $25 each - and they thanked me for giving them the oppotunity and wanted to know if we ever did it again. I am fortunate that my City, so far anyway, has said - OK whatever.

Would be a great idea, I think, and a natural pairing with B&Bs. Most (not all) people staying in B&Bs love food and wine events from what I've read.
Businesses here are not even supposed to have any alcohol on the premises without their own liquor license. I'm not sure that a caterer with an off-site permit could get away with this type of event at a business that doesn't have a liquor license either from the latest interpretation of the law. Not bringing this up to be negative, just to show that we have to be careful with local ordinances.
In addition, I think you'd need to check with your commercial insurance carrier.
Things have gotten so complicated, haven't they? sigh......

Riki
cry_smile.gif
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Yes, hunting and shooting and fishing are all allowed. Classes recommended. But, alcohol is the demon rum, you know.

Riki
cry_smile.gif
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
RIki
RIki
Heck, I grew up in NYC and was handling guns when I was 10. And watching people drink and smoke. I think I turned out ok. (If you disagree don't tell me, please.
wink_smile.gif
)
But it is quite the big issue here right now.

Could information sharing what is POSSIBLE instead of what you cannot do where you are..
Joey Bloggs said:
Could information
sharing what is POSSIBLEinstead of what you cannot do where you are.
I still think it's a great idea. There are wineries around here but they are not producing local wines as yet. Maybe when they get going it would be fun to have the tasting THERE and not here but still make a special pkg out of it.

I DO have a winery as the anchor of my packages and routings. It gets removed ONLY if the gursts tell me no winery. I had one guest who had one case in the back seat and because she did not have room for more (had to have space for the luggage) had another case shipped. Most of my guests but a minimum of a 3-pack at the winery. I love having my guests leave whatever beautiful green money at WV businesses that they can.

Back