Winning in the Charge Back arena - Need advice.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chargeback update - Just when I thought it was over, I receive this email today (altered for security). Now she is trying a different tactic. I am tempted to simply ignor it. How would you folks handle this ?
And btw, yes it is hers.....freakin' idgit.
angry_smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[COLOR= black]Innkeepers:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]On my desk, I have a copy of a receipt for the $____ you charged on my credit card, bearing a signature that is not mine. [/COLOR][COLOR= black]This is forgery, which is a crime[/COLOR][COLOR= black]. [COLOR= black]I don't know if you are aware of this, but no matter how small the amount involved, a person convicted of forgery will have felony criminal record.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Because of your actions, I have gone through months of endless phone calls back and forth with my credit card company, have had the account closed due to “fraudulent activity,” and am now only beginning to go through the hassle of re-assigning a new card to all my personal and business activities connected to the account that was closed.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]However, since discretion is the better part of valor, I've decided not to pursue the matter further. I send this note as a warning that you should most certainly not do this to any future guests of your inn. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Etc, etc....ad nauseum.[/COLOR]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts?.
Have you actually TALKED to this person since this all happened? Emailing back and forth just doesn't cut it. DId she actually sign her credit card slip when she checked in? Do you have the actual one?
Without going back through all the old posts....Did you charge her for the damages? HOw much? Did she OK them? Do you have that in writing? Have you actually gotten a charge back from her credit card company? Or is this just another message from her out of the blue?
HOnestly, I would pick up the phone and talk to this woman and find out what her problem is....I know..what it is...just being facetious here. She is a real loon if you ask me, but she is trying to get out of paying you. YOu could tell her you will take her to small claims court as she agreed to the payment.
If however, you have no proof, and actually do get a chargeback, I doubt the credit card company will go along with it.
Sorry you are having this issue.
catlady said:
Have you actually TALKED to this person since this all happened? Emailing back and forth just doesn't cut it. DId she actually sign her credit card slip when she checked in? Do you have the actual one?
Without going back through all the old posts....Did you charge her for the damages? HOw much? Did she OK them? Do you have that in writing? Have you actually gotten a charge back from her credit card company? Or is this just another message from her out of the blue?
HOnestly, I would pick up the phone and talk to this woman and find out what her problem is....I know..what it is...just being facetious here. She is a real loon if you ask me, but she is trying to get out of paying you. YOu could tell her you will take her to small claims court as she agreed to the payment.
If however, you have no proof, and actually do get a chargeback, I doubt the credit card company will go along with it.
Sorry you are having this issue.
Yes I have all documentation including signed credit card slips. I did charge her for the damages she agreed to pay and I do have it in writing.
I have not talked with her on the phone. I am going through the chargeback process with the cc company. By the wording, it sounds to me like she is going to back off, but wanted to complain a bit more about it first.
Did YOU sign the credit card slip for the damages though or did she? If you did, she is trying to get you on a technicality. THen, I would Talk to the credit card company and not this loonie because you will only fan the flames more at this point. And re reading your post...yes it sounds like she is just complaining more and more.

FD you poor thing! This is what we always say, it needs to really really be worth the headache trying to keep the chargeback.
Every new innkeeper or aspiring that comes onto this forum is astonished that we have very little recourse with damages or theft. Something they cannot get over. Fortunately it seldom occurs. All the more reason for us to NOT try to be like hotels and get the hotel crowd in our doors.
I had a couple for their child's college TAKE a couple items in the room - I can just see the scene "Oh Suzie should have this lysol in her dorm room bathroom!" I mean it was nothing worth anything, but the thought of pilfering sends me through the roof. Same couple who got a discount and then in the notes online asked about college parent discount AND triple AAA.
Sorry to hijack...just feel for ya!

i disagree about calling this woman.
if i am reading this situation correctly, unless you tape the conversation and tell her beforehand that you are doing so, she may accuse you of calling her and threatening or harrassing her.
if any future correspondence is absolutely necessary i'd do it in writing - not by email, by snail mail, keeping a copy. but i would not respond to her latest.
you need the backing of the owners in this situation, i would hand it over TO THEM to deal with since they are 'management', aren't they? let them deal with it and you get on with the business of running the b&b.

if i am reading this situation correctly, unless you tape the conversation and tell her beforehand that you are doing so, she may accuse you of calling her and threatening or harrassing her.
if any future correspondence is absolutely necessary i'd do it in writing - not by email, by snail mail, keeping a copy. but i would not respond to her latest.
you need the backing of the owners in this situation, i would hand it over TO THEM to deal with since they are 'management', aren't they? let them deal with it and you get on with the business of running the b&b..
I took back the "Call the woman" After reading more..it is more important to have things in writing as proof. I agree..she should not call as this person seems to be a real looney.

you need the backing of the owners in this situation, i would hand it over TO THEM to deal with since they are 'management', aren't they? let them deal with it and you get on with the business of running the b&b..
I took back the "Call the woman" After reading more..it is more important to have things in writing as proof. I agree..she should not call as this person seems to be a real looney.
catlady said:
Thanks for backing up my thought process. I am only going to deal with the credit card company at this point.

You need to provide evidence that she was there. (signature on a registration form) A notice on that same signed form that damages to the room will be charged to the credit card unless other forms of payment are chosen.
If the charges were for damage, you need to provide whatever documentation you can of the damage (photos, repair bills....).
swirt said:
You need to provide evidence that she was there. (signature on a registration form) A notice on that same signed form that damages to the room will be charged to the credit card unless other forms of payment are chosen.
If the charges were for damage, you need to provide whatever documentation you can of the damage (photos, repair bills....)
I'm not attempting to hijack the thread, but some of us (as discussed elsewhere) swipe the credit card at the end of the visit. I'm curious as to the wording and appearance of your registration form. Do you have them sign this AND the credit card slip?

If the charges were for damage, you need to provide whatever documentation you can of the damage (photos, repair bills....).
swirt said:
If the charges were for damage, you need to provide whatever documentation you can of the damage (photos, repair bills....)
I'm not attempting to hijack the thread, but some of us (as discussed elsewhere) swipe the credit card at the end of the visit. I'm curious as to the wording and appearance of your registration form. Do you have them sign this AND the credit card slip?
Proud Texan said:
swirt said:
Yes, that is correct. Additionally I take payment in advance. My registration form includes a paragraph that states 'Guests are responsible for damage done to thier rooms.' Guest must also agree to the same policies when booking online. There are separate paragraphs regarding smoking, pets, children, jacuzzis, etc.
Guests sign at the bottom to agree to the terms of the Inn.
I know it sounds imposing, but the butt you save may be your own.
Just mho.

swirt said:
Proud Texan said:
swirt said:
Yes, that is correct. Additionally I take payment in advance. My registration form includes a paragraph that states 'Guests are responsible for damage done to thier rooms.' Guest must also agree to the same policies when booking online. There are separate paragraphs regarding smoking, pets, children, jacuzzis, etc.
Guests sign at the bottom to agree to the terms of the Inn.
I know it sounds imposing, but the butt you save may be your own.
Just mho.
Sounds like a good way to me. Most probably don't take the time to read it all, but hey if they sign..that is what counts!!

swirt said:
Proud Texan said:
I'm curious as to the wording and appearance of your registration form. Do you have them sign this AND the credit card slip?
That's one of the advantages of the integrated system. Our registration form includes the credit card language, essentially it is the credit card slip and the aggreement to our policies. One signature and it is done. They get an unsigned copy to keep and we keep the signed copy.

FD, I am just catching up on threads so don't know how the TA situation turned out, but you should definitely send the correspondence you've had with this woman to TA and explain that you strongly feel her bad review is retaliatory. I've seen innkeepers in our area have a review removed with far less convincing arguments...you have a very valid one here.

FD, I am just catching up on threads so don't know how the TA situation turned out, but you should definitely send the correspondence you've had with this woman to TA and explain that you strongly feel her bad review is retaliatory. I've seen innkeepers in our area have a review removed with far less convincing arguments...you have a very valid one here..
InnsiderInfo said:
FD, I am just catching up on threads so don't know how the TA situation turned out, but you should definitely send the correspondence you've had with this woman to TA and explain that you strongly feel her bad review is retaliatory. I've seen innkeepers in our area have a review removed with far less convincing arguments...you have a very valid one here.
I contacted TA and filled out the dispute form they provided and they removed the review. It took about 5 days. I know from reading all the fine print that people can only review an establishment once. Now that her review is gone, I don't know if that means she has the opportunity to try again in the future. Its something I will have to keep up on.

FD, I am just catching up on threads so don't know how the TA situation turned out, but you should definitely send the correspondence you've had with this woman to TA and explain that you strongly feel her bad review is retaliatory. I've seen innkeepers in our area have a review removed with far less convincing arguments...you have a very valid one here..
InnsiderInfo said:
I contacted TA and filled out the dispute form they provided and they removed the review. It took about 5 days. I know from reading all the fine print that people can only review an establishment once. Now that her review is gone, I don't know if that means she has the opportunity to try again in the future. Its something I will have to keep up on.
I am so glad to hear that. Good for you! If she tries again you can just dispute it again.

InnsiderInfo said:
That's great news about getting the review removed. :)
I imagine that if they removed one, she will not be able to review you again under that same account.

InnsiderInfo said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Is it okay to say hurray trip advisor (just in this instance)? and hurray FD for being so proactive.
shades_smile.gif

Back