Winning in the Charge Back arena - Need advice.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Ok folks...Its ON!
It seems a bad TA review was insufficient.
My room trashing, furniture breaking guest has now disputed her credit card charge....grrrrrr.
Is there some do's and don'ts in how to handle this that I should know about? This whole thing has been a bloody nightmare and I will be damned if I let her win this.
872146.gif
165933.gif
554760.gif
639932.gif

You need to provide evidence that she was there. (signature on a registration form) A notice on that same signed form that damages to the room will be charged to the credit card unless other forms of payment are chosen.
If the charges were for damage, you need to provide whatever documentation you can of the damage (photos, repair bills....)

And didn't you say in her emails she acknowledged doing the damage? Sending a copy of that might help.

How much is the charge? Is it worth all this?
I ask as I had been there one time, and in the end, the credit card holder walked away and I had way way too much consuming stress over it. The nasty phone calls, letters and emails really bothered me, I am a nice person, she was not.

For me...it would be the principal of the thing......I would not let her get away with this without some sort of response. Yes the credit card company may side with her...so...
Send them COPIES of everything she ever recieved or sent to you along with photos and an accurate description of the situation.
Be professional about it and don't get all hyper over it either...because in reality..the credit card companies usually go with their client...but..you never know.
Of course you knew she would do this ...grrrrrr.

For me...it would be the principal of the thing......I would not let her get away with this without some sort of response. Yes the credit card company may side with her...so...
Send them COPIES of everything she ever recieved or sent to you along with photos and an accurate description of the situation.
Be professional about it and don't get all hyper over it either...because in reality..the credit card companies usually go with their client...but..you never know.
Of course you knew she would do this ...grrrrrr..
catlady said:
I suppose I should know better by this point.
Sadly, I keep expecting the best from people.

catlady said:
This would be an instance where having a copy of the driver's license would strengthen your case.

catlady said:
This would be an instance where having a copy of the driver's license would strengthen your case.
SweetiePie said:
That would only be true if she is saying she was never there at all. Since she has already written a TA review about her stay, that seems unlikely.

What a
potty-mouth.gif
!!!! I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Like you, I would be fighting it for the principle.
Follow all the advise above. Is she disputing all the charges or just the damage charge? If the credit card company sides with her, you can take her to small claims court to recover your money. You are definitely in the right here!

catlady said:
When you copy the license, what do you do with it from there? How long do you store them? How do you dispose of them?

catlady said:
When you copy the license, what do you do with it from there? How long do you store them? How do you dispose of them?
I staple it to their registration form. That way if they rebook I have the picture to refer to, in order to refresh my memory. Then they go into the tax records which are kept locked up.

I would most definitely respond to this chargeback, it is the principle of the thing now. I have battled 2 Chargeback attempts and won both..Here is what I do...
Send a letter with the attached proof of her stay, the forms she signed, the emails to and from her, anything that can prove she was at your place for the date(s) indicated and that she knew and approved any damages would be charged to her card. If you still have those email exchanges WHILE she was on your property, I would print those as well and at least keep them. (that would be as additional back up if you were to need small claims court). If you only charged her for the repair of the chair (no additional charges like pick up/delivery fees) then attach the copy of the repair bill and highlight the date of the repair. If you have pictures of 'her' room with that chair in it, make a copy of that as well.
In the letter, BRIEFLY - to the POINT, tell the facts Jack, of the charge. Then describe as to the importance of the attachements (in bullet format) in date order of occurance and label them #1, #2, etc. and mark the attachments to correspond with the descriptions. Do not send anything that does not help your case, and nothing extra only the items to prove her stay, her agreement ot pay for damages and the damage itself.
GOOD LUCK!

I agree with Copperhead.
I only had one chargeback and won. I did have to provide as much proof as I could thou. It is also good to take pictures of damages as soon as you discover them and also make sure that there is a time stamp on the picture which also will help.
Don't give up. I had doubts and felt bad for having to argue this, but it was my time and money and eventually the knots in my stomach disappeared. :)
best of luck. Keep us updated.

I don't know if this is a U.S thing, or a Canadian thing...but in the eleven years experience I have had running an Inn (over at another property,) I have had 16 charge backs, and have won all of them, by providing only the confirmation email (half of them were disputing cancelation fees,) and/or the registration card signed by the CC owner (The card doubled as a merchant copy of the receipt.) So when people tried to "pretend," they were not there
It's super easy, and personally, I think if you have a flawless record, CC companies side with the merchant...But maybe I'm wrong when it comes to US merchants....maybe?
Perhaps when this is all over, whether you win or lose I assume you still have the customers credit card information...it would be too bad if that information found it's way on a forum, somewhere...in cyberspace ;)
Cheers, and good luck.

Chargeback update - Just when I thought it was over, I receive this email today (altered for security). Now she is trying a different tactic. I am tempted to simply ignor it. How would you folks handle this ?
And btw, yes it is hers.....freakin' idgit.
angry_smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[COLOR= black]Innkeepers:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]On my desk, I have a copy of a receipt for the $____ you charged on my credit card, bearing a signature that is not mine. [/COLOR][COLOR= black]This is forgery, which is a crime[/COLOR][COLOR= black]. [COLOR= black]I don't know if you are aware of this, but no matter how small the amount involved, a person convicted of forgery will have felony criminal record.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Because of your actions, I have gone through months of endless phone calls back and forth with my credit card company, have had the account closed due to “fraudulent activity,” and am now only beginning to go through the hassle of re-assigning a new card to all my personal and business activities connected to the account that was closed.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]However, since discretion is the better part of valor, I've decided not to pursue the matter further. I send this note as a warning that you should most certainly not do this to any future guests of your inn. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Etc, etc....ad nauseum.[/COLOR]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts?

my first thought is that something is wrong with this person. i would not answer. keep your employers informed of this latest.
keep a file of hard copies of all correspondence you have had to date, with the original reservation, a copy of the review, all of it.
is this the charge for the damage she caused? that she originally acknowledged? or for the room itself?
did you win the judgment from the credit card company and that is why she is angry now?

Chargeback update - Just when I thought it was over, I receive this email today (altered for security). Now she is trying a different tactic. I am tempted to simply ignor it. How would you folks handle this ?
angry_smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]On my desk, I have a copy of a receipt for the $____ you charged on my credit card, bearing a signature that is not mine. [/COLOR][COLOR= black]This is forgery, which is a crime[/COLOR][COLOR= black]. [COLOR= black]I don't know if you are aware of this, but no matter how small the amount involved, a person convicted of forgery will have felony criminal record.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Because of your actions, I have gone through months of endless phone calls back and forth with my credit card company, have had the account closed due to “fraudulent activity,” and am now only beginning to go through the hassle of re-assigning a new card to all my personal and business activities connected to the account that was closed.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]However, since discretion is the better part of valor, I've decided not to pursue the matter further. I send this note as a warning that you should most certainly not do this to any future guests of your inn. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thoughts?.
Have you actually TALKED to this person since this all happened? Emailing back and forth just doesn't cut it. DId she actually sign her credit card slip when she checked in? Do you have the actual one?
Without going back through all the old posts....Did you charge her for the damages? HOw much? Did she OK them? Do you have that in writing? Have you actually gotten a charge back from her credit card company? Or is this just another message from her out of the blue?
HOnestly, I would pick up the phone and talk to this woman and find out what her problem is....I know..what it is...just being facetious here. She is a real loon if you ask me, but she is trying to get out of paying you. YOu could tell her you will take her to small claims court as she agreed to the payment.
If however, you have no proof, and actually do get a chargeback, I doubt the credit card company will go along with it.
Sorry you are having this issue.

my first thought is that something is wrong with this person. i would not answer. keep your employers informed of this latest.
keep a file of hard copies of all correspondence you have had to date, with the original reservation, a copy of the review, all of it.
is this the charge for the damage she caused? that she originally acknowledged? or for the room itself?
did you win the judgment from the credit card company and that is why she is angry now?.
seashanty said:
did you win the judgment from the credit card company and that is why she is angry now?
This is the charge for the damages she confessed to causing. We are still in dispute at this time, but by the sounds of it....maybe I won? I guess if I go 1 more month without anything from the CC company, then I will have my answer. What a pain in the butt.

did you win the judgment from the credit card company and that is why she is angry now?.
seashanty said:
This is the charge for the damages she confessed to causing. We are still in dispute at this time, but by the sounds of it....maybe I won? I guess if I go 1 more month without anything from the CC company, then I will have my answer. What a pain in the butt.
You could just contact your credit card company and see what is going on. I don't know what the time frame is for chargeback. But again, if you don't have anything in writing, she may get her way:-(

angry_smile.gif

[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
Thoughts?.
Have you actually TALKED to this person since this all happened? Emailing back and forth just doesn't cut it. DId she actually sign her credit card slip when she checked in? Do you have the actual one?
Without going back through all the old posts....Did you charge her for the damages? HOw much? Did she OK them? Do you have that in writing? Have you actually gotten a charge back from her credit card company? Or is this just another message from her out of the blue?
HOnestly, I would pick up the phone and talk to this woman and find out what her problem is....I know..what it is...just being facetious here. She is a real loon if you ask me, but she is trying to get out of paying you. YOu could tell her you will take her to small claims court as she agreed to the payment.
If however, you have no proof, and actually do get a chargeback, I doubt the credit card company will go along with it.
catlady said:
Yes I have all documentation including signed credit card slips. I did charge her for the damages she agreed to pay and I do have it in writing.
I have not talked with her on the phone. I am going through the chargeback process with the cc company. By the wording, it sounds to me like she is going to back off, but wanted to complain a bit more about it first.

Back