Winter Plans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to be spending the time after Christmas getting the other house ready to sell. (Is really hoping houses sell in the spring)
But the time before Christmas, about 3 weeks, on a cruise to Hawaii. Needing a much needed vacation and then traveling with the Inn Crowd!
wink_smile.gif

Which leads me into a question:
we're going to replace the shower cubicles in 1, possibly 2 en-suites with much bigger ones (they're currently 700mm square which is quite small, the one we replaced last year is 1100mmx900mm). We've seen "walk-in" showers with no door and since there's much less of the frame just supports with sheets of glass between they'd be much easier to keep clean than sliding doors.
However the concern is how much water spills / sprays out on the floor, it's not our plan to make a wet room. Does anyone have walk in shower cubicles and is there a water problem with them??

we're going to replace the shower cubicles in 1, possibly 2 en-suites with much bigger ones (they're currently 700mm square which is quite small, the one we replaced last year is 1100mmx900mm). We've seen "walk-in" showers with no door and since there's much less of the frame just supports with sheets of glass between they'd be much easier to keep clean than sliding doors.
However the concern is how much water spills / sprays out on the floor, it's not our plan to make a wet room. Does anyone have walk in shower cubicles and is there a water problem with them??.
I have shower curtains AND nylon shower curtain liners on both of my showers. AND both showers have personal shower heads - those friggin' things can get away from you too easily! I have not had a problem with water. I have the shower curtain INSIDE the shower lip to start with. It may not look as pretty, but it has the curtain where it needs to be. Every now and then a guest may misdirect a personal shower spray but I only know this from the wet towels in the claw-foot tub. My side of the bed is directly under this shower.
I would have a devil of a time cleaning the showers if there were doors on it. It is so nice to take down the shower curtain and have all this open space to do the cleaning and then put the new liner on the hooks to rehang the curtain when done. The personal shower head is wonderful for cleaning! Spray the cleaner, scrub down, and hose off. One shower is 48 inches wide and the other is 60 inches.

We have walk in shower cubicles and is there no water problem with them. However they are 1100 mm x 1600 mm. And we have a threshold.....
douche.JPG

We have walk in shower cubicles and is there no water problem with them. However they are 1100 mm x 1600 mm. And we have a threshold.....
douche.JPG
Mmmm. Thank you.
1600 is quite a bit longer than 1100. Is the shower head on the long or short wall ?

douche.JPG
Mmmm. Thank you.
1600 is quite a bit longer than 1100. Is the shower head on the long or short wall ?
If I can picture how this is going to be, the shower head (and the knobs to turn it on) are going to be way into the shower. Which means getting hit with a blast of icy water when reaching waaaaaay in to turn the water on. Wet sleeves. Shock to not awake guest. Balancing act trying to not step right in the icy water while turning shower on. BTDT. Not pleasant.

Already started & done with power washing house,decks,patio furniture....now will spruce up my private area...its about time.! (area that I sleep ,bath in, & office). I think we all leave this area till last as it wont make any more income but sure will cheer me up !

I just want to find my winter coats.....sigh.
Just kidding. I did have to unearth a jacket this morning because in the time we were moving, it turned from Summer to Fall!
In all seriousness, I can't wait to update the bathrooms. AND bedrooms! I love the planning and shopping and especially the end result. Have fun!

Just kidding. I did have to unearth a jacket this morning because in the time we were moving, it turned from Summer to Fall!
In all seriousness, I can't wait to update the bathrooms. AND bedrooms! I love the planning and shopping and especially the end result. Have fun!.
TheBeachHouse said:
In all seriousness, I can't wait to update the bathrooms. AND bedrooms! I love the planning and shopping and especially the end result. Have fun!
BTW, it will get toasty warm again before that cold is here to stay.
When decorating a brand new place - take your time. Let the building talk to you. Find out what is not working. Ask questions here as we've seen it all. You are probably more in my neck of the woods (given you are cold and I think you're on the East Coast, I could be wrong) and some stuff works and some stuff doesn't. Also look at the demographic you inherited and the one you want. THAT will drive how you redecorate.

I'm getting a new kitchen ("galley") this Fall, but I dread having to tear out the old cabinets. Every inch of wood was screwed and glued (with epoxy, I think). Custom sapele wood cabinets, Fagor induction cooktop, Fagor side-opening convection oven, Bosch dishwasher, trash compactor, Corian countertops, a new stainless steel sink, and the biggest refrigerator I can stuff in the hole! That should keep me busy for a while. Can't wait until it's done!

I'm getting a new kitchen ("galley") this Fall, but I dread having to tear out the old cabinets. Every inch of wood was screwed and glued (with epoxy, I think). Custom sapele wood cabinets, Fagor induction cooktop, Fagor side-opening convection oven, Bosch dishwasher, trash compactor, Corian countertops, a new stainless steel sink, and the biggest refrigerator I can stuff in the hole! That should keep me busy for a while. Can't wait until it's done!.
I've had my Corian in for 6 years now, and it does get scratched up. If I had it to do over, I might see if something else would work better.
I am excited for you.

I'm getting a new kitchen ("galley") this Fall, but I dread having to tear out the old cabinets. Every inch of wood was screwed and glued (with epoxy, I think). Custom sapele wood cabinets, Fagor induction cooktop, Fagor side-opening convection oven, Bosch dishwasher, trash compactor, Corian countertops, a new stainless steel sink, and the biggest refrigerator I can stuff in the hole! That should keep me busy for a while. Can't wait until it's done!.
I've had my Corian in for 6 years now, and it does get scratched up. If I had it to do over, I might see if something else would work better.
I am excited for you.
Innkeep said:
I am excited for you.
Yes, it does scratch, but it can be polished. I like the granite, quartz, and soapstone materials best, but weight is a factor for me, and those materials are just too heavy. Formica has come a long, long way over the years, but it's glued to a particle board like material, and I can't have that either. My options were pretty slim.

However the concern is how much water spills / sprays out on the floor, it's not our plan to make a wet room. Does anyone have walk in shower cubicles and is there a water problem with them??.
my parents have one - hardly anything comes out - virtually the same as having a door - but a lot depends on the placement of the shower head

my parents have one - hardly anything comes out - virtually the same as having a door - but a lot depends on the placement of the shower head
As it's going to be an overhead rain shower type head I don't think it'll be a problem, but good to hear others views.

It begins.
Quiet week this week so the electrician has been in to fit down-lighters and combination light/extractor in the two en-suites yet to be refurbished.
We've taken the beds to apart in these two rooms so we can swap them over to see if the king size bed suites the twin room and vice-versa, that will give us two double rooms with views and the twin/super king zip link will be in the larger room.
Plus I've started decorating the breakfast room.

It begins.
Quiet week this week so the electrician has been in to fit down-lighters and combination light/extractor in the two en-suites yet to be refurbished.
We've taken the beds to apart in these two rooms so we can swap them over to see if the king size bed suites the twin room and vice-versa, that will give us two double rooms with views and the twin/super king zip link will be in the larger room.
Plus I've started decorating the breakfast room..
ive got my paperwork in for planning permission for my redevelopment at the back - for pics see my web site - am super pleased with what the architect has done.
Super excited but if I get it through first time we can start in 65 days! woo hoo!

It begins.
Plus I've started decorating the breakfast room..
ive got my paperwork in for planning permission for my redevelopment at the back - for pics see my web site - am super pleased with what the architect has done.
Super excited but if I get it through first time we can start in 65 days! woo hoo!
Everything crossed!!

A word of advice to those removing wallpaper. I have removed the nasty stuff from over 4 dozen walls throughout the property here (even had Jay Karen here once helping me). Anyway, the wall might look good after you get the paper off, but it's the paste that you have to make sure is absolutely removed! Wipe, wipe and then wipe some more. Go over the wall with your hand to make sure it's not sticky and then wipe some more with warm water.
If you don't get the paste off, and I mean ALL OF THE PASTE, and then paint over it, the paint will crack in about 6 months or so. I suppose the time frame probably depends on things like humidity and temperature. But it will eventually crack.
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt, though I think I used it to wipe paste off of walls.

Back