Winter Storm In New England

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope all is well up there. This is the same storm system that was responsible for snow in LA and MS yesterday. We had 3" here - unheard of and a town just to our west had 8", while today got up into the mid 60's and plenty of sunshine..I guess the Global Warming took a holiday yesterday. lol

I sure hope all is well up there. This is the same storm system that was responsible for snow in LA and MS yesterday. We had 3" here - unheard of and a town just to our west had 8", while today got up into the mid 60's and plenty of sunshine..I guess the Global Warming took a holiday yesterday. lol.
No Holiday. It was actually a super warm surge from the south that pushed the jetstream over Canada 90 degrees out of whack so it spewed the cool stuff lower and farther than it would have.

I saw the storm on the news and wondered....when you get a storm that really does close down roads, i.e. ice causing downed power lines and trees - not just a "snowy day", and suppose you have guests who were scheduled to leave that day and now they just cannot leave even if they really, really wanted to, making them "stuck" there, what do you do? Do you keep charging them the full rate each day until they can leave? And what do guests do in those situations when a few extra nights stay was not within their budget?
While I don't have this kind of thing happen here - my "canceling weather" comes with a huge warning of several days (a hurricane) so no one ever gets stuck here, this scenario crossed my mind when I saw where certain places up north had "forbidden travel" restrictions and made me wonder what do you do with guests already there and now stuck.

I saw the storm on the news and wondered....when you get a storm that really does close down roads, i.e. ice causing downed power lines and trees - not just a "snowy day", and suppose you have guests who were scheduled to leave that day and now they just cannot leave even if they really, really wanted to, making them "stuck" there, what do you do? Do you keep charging them the full rate each day until they can leave? And what do guests do in those situations when a few extra nights stay was not within their budget?
While I don't have this kind of thing happen here - my "canceling weather" comes with a huge warning of several days (a hurricane) so no one ever gets stuck here, this scenario crossed my mind when I saw where certain places up north had "forbidden travel" restrictions and made me wonder what do you do with guests already there and now stuck..
If they were truly stuck (a rarity here, but possible) and truly broke, I'd probably let them stay for free or greatly reduced.
We had people here from Galveston when Ike hit... they stayed a few extra days and we gave them a "hurricane rate" of 50% off. But they were such wonderful guests... had rented the whole house for their daughter's wedding and were just the nicest folks to have around. (Plus left a cooler of drinks, plus tipped the boys!)
=)
Kk.

While I don't have this kind of thing happen here - my "canceling weather" comes with a huge warning of several days (a hurricane) so no one ever gets stuck here, this scenario crossed my mind when I saw where certain places up north had "forbidden travel" restrictions and made me wonder what do you do with guests already there and now stuck..
We've had this happen. First the guests' home airport shutdown so they couldn't leave. Then the storm came up the coast and our airport shut down. We did charge them. But we also took them out with us to do stuff as they were bored to tears with no car after 3 days! They became repeat guests! But never again in winter...

Being new to innkeeping it hadn't occurred to us that bad storms might be good for business. We're in central MA and towns around us are likely not to have power again for another several days. We lost power here for about 12 hours but as soon as it came back on yesterday we started getting calls and have been full. We're probably saps but we did reduce our rate since families and older people with no place to stay warm and limited budgets for a sudden "vacation" so close to the holidays did pull at our hearstrings. We figured we weren't counting on it anyway and it has been a nice experience for us so far, So we've gotten people through the doors that may otherwise never have stopped in and they are all happy and talking to their friend and families about our place.....I won't be complaining about bad storms again any time soon!

Being new to innkeeping it hadn't occurred to us that bad storms might be good for business. We're in central MA and towns around us are likely not to have power again for another several days. We lost power here for about 12 hours but as soon as it came back on yesterday we started getting calls and have been full. We're probably saps but we did reduce our rate since families and older people with no place to stay warm and limited budgets for a sudden "vacation" so close to the holidays did pull at our hearstrings. We figured we weren't counting on it anyway and it has been a nice experience for us so far, So we've gotten people through the doors that may otherwise never have stopped in and they are all happy and talking to their friend and families about our place.....I won't be complaining about bad storms again any time soon!.
Thank you for doing this! Great holiday spirit! Glad your power is on so that you can be of help to others. You did a GOOD THING:) And who knows how many referrals it will gain for you in the future.

Being new to innkeeping it hadn't occurred to us that bad storms might be good for business. We're in central MA and towns around us are likely not to have power again for another several days. We lost power here for about 12 hours but as soon as it came back on yesterday we started getting calls and have been full. We're probably saps but we did reduce our rate since families and older people with no place to stay warm and limited budgets for a sudden "vacation" so close to the holidays did pull at our hearstrings. We figured we weren't counting on it anyway and it has been a nice experience for us so far, So we've gotten people through the doors that may otherwise never have stopped in and they are all happy and talking to their friend and families about our place.....I won't be complaining about bad storms again any time soon!.
Very good! We offer discounted rates to locals stranded due to weather. Couldn't do it yesterday, tho!

Interesting twist on this...I just got a walk-in whose power is still out. She said she stopped at every hotel along the way and they are all full. So I called around. Sure enough, no vacancies all over the place. BUT, one place is no longer full as folks whose power is back on all left. Hmmmm. I wonder if they got their money back?

Back