Wintering over a Rosemary topiary

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I was given a lovely rosemary topiary that has lived happily outside since April. I would love to winter it over. Has anyone done this? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks

I have a rosemary plant in my walk out basement as well as some other herbs. You need a lot of sunlight. I have taken to keeping some herbs inside year round and others outside so that I don't have to get them used to coming in which is sometimes difficult for me.
I have a large rosemary plant in a wine barrel that suvives outside through the winter here in Virginia.
Riki

Depends on how many freezes you get at your location. If we have a normal winter (only one or two nights in the single digit per winter and that goes to 30s by Noon) I have had rosemary winter OK for several years. Last winter was BAD! COLD! and my rosemary died. I did manage to kill the topiary someone gave me in the first year - surprised it lasted as long as it did, I usually kill things faster than that one.

I bring my Rosemary in every winter here in Ontario. It is 3 years old & is doing OK. I keep it in front of a big 8X8 window that faces south. I do have trouble with Powdery Mildew and spray it when I notice the white powder. So far so good.
Bill

"I have had rosemary winter OK for several years. Last winter was BAD! COLD! and my rosemary died."
Me too...had a big one planted in the herb garden against the South side of the house...was great for more than five years...died during last year's bitter winter. I don't know if it was the bitter cold spells, or the constant thaw and refreezes that we had.

It can't stay outside (edited to add- 'where you live' lots of other people CAN keep them outside). I am in the process (and hope I don't mess up) of bringing in my rosemary plant (not a topiary). You MUST keep it moist. Worst thing you can do is let it dry out even a smidge, it will DIE immediately! (BTDT)

What a great question. I grew one since April that was maybe 12 inches tall, it has grown inside this huge pot into a small Christmas tree. I cannot lift the pot empty, never expected that Rosemary to grow so much, otherwise I would not have planted it in there. Now I am afraid I'll have to dry the entire plant and use it for cooking. How much rosemary does one need :(

you could harvest it and batch it with ribbon or twine or raffia, or plastic bag it or box it and give it to guests with your little homemade tag of the place attached. wouldn't i love that!
heart.gif

you could harvest it and batch it with ribbon or twine or raffia, or plastic bag it or box it and give it to guests with your little homemade tag of the place attached. wouldn't i love that!
heart.gif
That would be a really smashing idea but!!!!!! I just said good night to the last guest of the year. I do place fresh bundles of thyme, sage and sometimes rosemary tied with raffia on the pillows in the cottages. Makes everything smell so good. I have 3 huge men living in the house, maybe between them they can heave that huge pot into the house.

I recently purchased rosemary topiary. It’s simply amazing. Can any one suggest how to maintain them in winter?.
I'm not sure where you are located and that matters.
Here in coastal southern New England I over winter my rosemary plants two ways. One stays in the ground outside and usually survives unless the winter is unusually cold. Two plants in pots stay indoors in our breakfast nook with east light and a skylight overhead from November-April. These plants are my insurance that I will have fresh rosemary all year. I do not bother shaping them into a topiary but I do pinch them back regularly as I use quite a bit of fresh rosemary in my cooking.

I'm not sure where you are located. We have a huge rosemary bush that winters over just fine. It's planted in a wine barrel right next to the inn so that it is protected. I have never been able to keep rosemary inside. I CAN do sage, mint, chives, oregano and parsley though.
Riki

I'm not sure where you are located. We have a huge rosemary bush that winters over just fine. It's planted in a wine barrel right next to the inn so that it is protected. I have never been able to keep rosemary inside. I CAN do sage, mint, chives, oregano and parsley though.
Riki.
I am not sure why we are replying to a 2009 post. I suspect there was a spam post here that was deleted.

But always fun to remember some old friends on these old threads, folks we rarely or never see anymore.

Riki.
I am not sure why we are replying to a 2009 post. I suspect there was a spam post here that was deleted.
Oh Geeez, I missed the date on that one.

Back