Wish to become an innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InesZadar

Reaction score
Hi!
My name is Ines and I am a senior student at ACMT (American College of Management and Technology), Croatia. I have become an owner of a rather large house on the island near my hometown Zadar. I decided to live there after I graduate and open my own B&B. The house has four guests’ rooms that I do not need for personal use. Since it is an attractive location a B&B seems as a great idea, and it would be one of the few in Croatia. This is why I am also doing my senior project on this subject (B&B’s). I am kindly asking for anyone who can contribute to my research (innkeepers) to fill out short survey. Here is the link for the survey:

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=hgaixtj0qo96rd4589555

It will take 2-3 minutes of your time. Answers will help me in opening my own bed and breakfast as well as getting a good grade. I really appreciate your time and effort and thank you very much!

Best regards from Croatia!
Ines

I did your survey.
Wish you lots of luck...but you should read over all the posts in this forum. THis will OPEN YOUR EYES and let you know..it is not as simple as having a few extra rooms to let. Though in your case in Croatia...that might work for you as this would be a new venture in your town..as you say. What will be the attraction to having people come and stay with you???? Do you have funds to take on such a task? You will need more than you think I am sure.
Good luck!

I did your survey.
Wish you lots of luck...but you should read over all the posts in this forum. THis will OPEN YOUR EYES and let you know..it is not as simple as having a few extra rooms to let. Though in your case in Croatia...that might work for you as this would be a new venture in your town..as you say. What will be the attraction to having people come and stay with you???? Do you have funds to take on such a task? You will need more than you think I am sure.
Good luck!.
Thank you!
I am still in the research process. I do have some savings to start the venture but I am not sure it will be enough. The biggest problem at the moment is the web page; It is a really very important part but as well a big cost. I was thinking of doing it by myself for the start, it will be far from professional but I could improve on it later. In my research so far I discovered that there are really a lot of things to think about before opening, but I am making preparations and I feel really optimistic, I would like to be able to have first guests by the end of June. The season here is from May till October, so I should take that in consideration. The good thing is that B&B’s are almost nonexistent in Croatia; here you have only apartments to rent, so I hope this will be my advantage.
Anyway, thanks for the good wishes, I also think I will need all the luck I can get! Thanks!
Ines

What is the title of this thread?.
The title was supposed to be: Wish to Become an Innkeeper - survey, but I experienced some difficulties while posting it so it is now as it is.
InesZadar said:
The title was supposed to be: Wish to Become an Innkeeper - survey, but I experienced some difficulties while posting it so it is now as it is.
You can edit the title if you started this thread.
teeth_smile.gif

Are you near any of the vineyards/wineries there? They are a great draw for tourists.
RIki

Are you near any of the vineyards/wineries there? They are a great draw for tourists.
RIki.
Not really, but there are a lot of olive trees. Almost all inhabitants of the island produce their own homemade olive oil, and Kali, the place where the property is, is famous as the place where you can find best fishermen in the country. But the nature is really stunning here, especially over summer, you can enjoy the beaches and the sea, you can go scuba diving, there are a lot of biking and hiking tracks on the island, and there are 3 national parks in the area. It is really a place to relax and enjoy sport activities, or just relax.

RIki.
Not really, but there are a lot of olive trees. Almost all inhabitants of the island produce their own homemade olive oil, and Kali, the place where the property is, is famous as the place where you can find best fishermen in the country. But the nature is really stunning here, especially over summer, you can enjoy the beaches and the sea, you can go scuba diving, there are a lot of biking and hiking tracks on the island, and there are 3 national parks in the area. It is really a place to relax and enjoy sport activities, or just relax.
InesZadar said:
So that is great! You are located perfectly for the current interest in eco travel and adventure/exercise type travel. Guests these days not only want to get away, but they want to get away where they can do something!
I would be checking into companies that you can recommend and/or tie into package stays. Be cautious and check with your insurance company to see how they want you to do it. I don't know what the situation is in your country, but here in the US we usually give the guest the number to call and set up the fishing or scuba appointment themselves so they can't sue us if something happens.
Riki

Good luck with your venture.
I opened my B&B in February of 08 and love it ( yep, it is still early..haha )
However, the innkeepers here have been lots of help to me since before I even started to build.
Keep coming back to this site for anything you might need.
Maggie

Back