Wood floors and dust

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Since it is warm and sunny the wood floors are beyond showing dust. Does anyone have any helpful hints for cleaning like 3000 sq feet of wood floors? (I left out the rugs and carpet) UGH
I think I will swiffer them all, which is what I usually do.

I know what you mean. Heck I just dusted everything yesterday and with the sun shining in so brightly today...it all looks like it needed SWIFFERED again:-(
Oh well. I won't be doing it...as I don't have guests to impress
embaressed_smile.gif

A light wash with Murphy's Oil Soap always works for me when using the Swiffer floor duster isn't enough. Just did it here all most of the floors because we have had so much RAIN!

Bona. Goes on with a swifter like thing (that's washable, not disposable). Non-toxic. Spray it on, wipe with the swifter-like mop, and floors glow. Non-toxic.

Bona. Goes on with a swifter like thing (that's washable, not disposable). Non-toxic. Spray it on, wipe with the swifter-like mop, and floors glow. Non-toxic..
I have that. It's a tricky thing, tho. Sometimes it looks great and other times I get this film on the floor from it. Not sure why. But, yes, when it's good, it's great! And easy. I have the whole 'system.' And it's much sturdier than the Swiffer handle. I've used it for 3 years now and the cloth is still going strong.

I cannot use anything that would be slippery - as in I can never wax a floor or use Mother Murphy on any of my wood floors because DH has crutch-slip problems (and prior to crutches - just slip problems). I wish because the floors would look so much better.......

I cannot use anything that would be slippery - as in I can never wax a floor or use Mother Murphy on any of my wood floors because DH has crutch-slip problems (and prior to crutches - just slip problems). I wish because the floors would look so much better........
The Bona stuff isn't slick. We have guests in their fuzzy slippers and socks all the time. What they slip on is the linoleum but that's usually ice-packed boots that haven't been stamped off.

There is that certain angle of the early evening sun that just shows every spec of dust on anything/everything, no matter how often I clean....still looks dusty!
So, to make matters worse, after a wedding charter I have to do in April, I'm going to pull up the carpet and start laying a wood floor in the pilothouse, galley and salon. I needed more dusting to do, I guess! Then, I will be able to chase all those hairballs that seem to gather in the corners of rooms with wood floors! LOL

Bona. Goes on with a swifter like thing (that's washable, not disposable). Non-toxic. Spray it on, wipe with the swifter-like mop, and floors glow. Non-toxic..
I have that. It's a tricky thing, tho. Sometimes it looks great and other times I get this film on the floor from it. Not sure why. But, yes, when it's good, it's great! And easy. I have the whole 'system.' And it's much sturdier than the Swiffer handle. I've used it for 3 years now and the cloth is still going strong.
Every now and then I use the Bona mop to clean the floor with vinegar. Spray it on and apply just like the Bona polish, and it removes the buildup.

I cannot use anything that would be slippery - as in I can never wax a floor or use Mother Murphy on any of my wood floors because DH has crutch-slip problems (and prior to crutches - just slip problems). I wish because the floors would look so much better........
I haven't found Murphy's Oil Soap diluted in water to lightly mop the dirt off floors to leave a slippery surface either.

There is that certain angle of the early evening sun that just shows every spec of dust on anything/everything, no matter how often I clean....still looks dusty!
So, to make matters worse, after a wedding charter I have to do in April, I'm going to pull up the carpet and start laying a wood floor in the pilothouse, galley and salon. I needed more dusting to do, I guess! Then, I will be able to chase all those hairballs that seem to gather in the corners of rooms with wood floors! LOL.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
Then, I will be able to chase all those hairballs that seem to gather in the corners of rooms with wood floors! LOL
Do you have any kind of ceiling fan or is that a silly question? I found turning on the ceiling fan blew all the hairballs out to the edges where they were either hidden under the couch or easy to remove.
In reverse, I've also found that aiming the exhaust on the vacuum toward the couch blows everything back out where I can see it again.
And here I'm happy because the angle of the sun here is not NOT showing every little mote of dust.

I haven't found Murphy's Oil Soap diluted in water to lightly mop the dirt off floors to leave a slippery surface either.
I don't either, but I am not the person on the crutches who has had to deal with slippery surfaces most of my life. For most people a small slip is no big deal because we can right ourselves - he cannot. A slip and he is down, usually easy because he long ago learned how to fall but somethines there is not room nor time to go down easy and those often mean a trip to ER.

I don't either, but I am not the person on the crutches who has had to deal with slippery surfaces most of my life. For most people a small slip is no big deal because we can right ourselves - he cannot. A slip and he is down, usually easy because he long ago learned how to fall but somethines there is not room nor time to go down easy and those often mean a trip to ER.
What do you use then to clean your floors?

What do you use then to clean your floors?
Dust mop and a small amount of Lysol in a bucket of water that I damp mop on the wood and in the kitchen I scrub the floor after he goes to bed so it will dry before he will be on it.
Living with his "adjustments" that change often re everything is not easy - I just know if it is something he wants/needs it is going to be expensive. Today he is feeling "strange" so my whole existence is at his whatever today. I am currently waiting for him to tell me if we are goiing to the doctor, the drug store, or hospital......
He used to want only whole wheat bread (did not understand white bread IS wheat, just more refined). Now he saw a program that says rye and pumpernickel bread is best - so now I have to make those instead of wheat.

I purchased a hardwood "mop" at Lowe's. It is like a large version of a swiffer. Elastic edged terry cloth covers are available in extra packs for them. I have 8 which I wet with water and wring out. I throw them all in an empty bucket when I do floors, I replace them as they soil. (You can also turn them over) When floor is done all go in the washer. No chemicals, very green. Nothing more to buy. Works fine for dust/hairballs. If things are really messy I use some murphys--then to a "rinse" wipe.

So, to make matters worse, after a wedding charter I have to do in April, I'm going to pull up the carpet and start laying a wood floor in the pilothouse, galley and salon. I needed more dusting to do, I guess! Then, I will be able to chase all those hairballs that seem to gather in the corners of rooms with wood floors! LOL.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
Then, I will be able to chase all those hairballs that seem to gather in the corners of rooms with wood floors! LOL
Do you have any kind of ceiling fan or is that a silly question? I found turning on the ceiling fan blew all the hairballs out to the edges where they were either hidden under the couch or easy to remove.
In reverse, I've also found that aiming the exhaust on the vacuum toward the couch blows everything back out where I can see it again.
And here I'm happy because the angle of the sun here is not NOT showing every little mote of dust.
Morticia said:
Do you have any kind of ceiling fan or is that a silly question?
No ceiling fans. LOL I do have a neighbor who has one in his galley - just looks silly on a boat - I've never seen another yacht that had one, but I have seen them on houseboats on a lake, but that's quite different.
A friend of mine has offered to come over and help with the flooring install...Two girls can do anything!!! Even after I told her we had to move the refrigerator and the stove, she's still game. What a pal!

I use the Shark steamer and it works great for removing dust on wooden floors.

I use the Shark steamer and it works great for removing dust on wooden floors..
Country Girl said:
I use the Shark steamer and it works great for removing dust on wooden floors.
We saw one of those infomercials on TV and wondered how well they worked. Do they clean glass and bathroom fixtures as well as the commercial says they do?

Back