Wood Floors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I have 200 year old wood floors that I would like to put a shine on without having to refinish them. Can anyone recommend a good product that will bring back some life and vitality to them? Thanks.

Are they waxed or polyurethane-finished now?
If they're waxed, a good new coat of Johnson's Paste wax does the trick.
If they've been polyurethaned, then I've found Bona really works well. Quick and easy to put on and it leaves a lovely fresh glow. And it's green!

I've been looking for products as well for my 100+ yo floors. Do a search on 'wood floor restorer' and read the comments for the different products. My guess is the folks who had a really bad experience did not know what kind of finish they had.
To find out what kind of finish you have, use this website. He lists tests you can do to be sure you know what you're working with and then he recommends the type of product to use. You really do need to know what's on the floors first.

I've been looking for products as well for my 100+ yo floors. Do a search on 'wood floor restorer' and read the comments for the different products. My guess is the folks who had a really bad experience did not know what kind of finish they had.
To find out what kind of finish you have, use this website. He lists tests you can do to be sure you know what you're working with and then he recommends the type of product to use. You really do need to know what's on the floors first..
Thanks for the link to that fabulous site, Morticia. What a wealth of information, all in one place!

The prettiest revitalization of wood floor I've ever done was wipe it down with diesel fuel! Uh...that's after some spilled, but WOW was it pretty in that spot. While I could stand the smell ('cuz I love the smell of diesel), most would find it offensive. So, as much as I wanted to mop the floor with it....I restrained myself. :D If this wasn't a commercial vessel, I'd go spill some more diesel!

I was also going to suggest Mother Murphy as it is called in this house.
If you need to refinish, there is a product by General Finishes in New Berlin, WI that is a water base poly. It allows the color of the wood to show (no darkening as in oil-based) and it holds up VERY well. We did my dining room in Dec 1994 and it still looks good. It is the room with highest traffic and has only an area rug (large but nowhere near wall-to-wall).

Back