Wording for reminder email?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
As I continue to transition to my FABULOUS new reservation system (will post a detailed topic on that when I am all finished), I need some help with wording. The new system will send a reminder email to guests when their reservation is one week away.
What kind of information would you include in this? Obviously the day/date/room/rate, etc. I'm not going to include everything that is in their original confirmation email (although I will give them an option to reply if they'd like us to resend that confirmation email in case it got lost). What else do I say without sounding too sappy (we're busy getting ready for your visit is one that I got from a b&b and it about made me puke...get real).
Thoughts?

Let me take a peek at mine. Mine are sent Three days away. (Diff place diff reasons, I know) many of mine are made the same week here.
Okay here it is, not up for discussion on why we do this or that, just sharing...this is formatted better when it sends auto as well. Just cut n pasting it here.
Dear {{guestfirstname}},
Your reservation is almost here! We are looking forward to seeing you and hope you will enjoy your stay!
Policies:
Check in: Our inn opens at 4:00 PM. You may check-in between 4-7 PM. We cannot accept early check ins. (Arrivals after 7pm please look for a note on the front door with your name and instructions).
Check out time is 11:00am.
Breakfast is served hot at 9am. Fresh Coffee is ready by 8:00am (earlier if requested), and premium tea.
If you are VEGETARIAN or cannot eat any of the basic breakfast foods, please inform BEFORE ARRIVAL. PORK is the breakfast meat of the south.
Please note - Parking will be in the rear on High St, go around the block -- look for our white fence and sign, after parking entry will be via the front door of B&B. 540.483.4616
HOW TO FIND US: (Address is here) (Website link here)
Directions from I-81 or FULL DIRECTIONS HERE
turn RIGHT on North Main and then immediate LEFT onto B&B Ave (you will see "Blue Moon" Restaurant on our corner) From there, we are 4th house on right, look for sign out front under big maples. Parking is in the rear, please go to either end of the street and turn onto High Street, look for our white fence and sign.

(We are the only one with a fence in town as you pay tax on it annually, fyi anyone reading this! So it is a definite land mark for guests in their vehicles!)
Salutation,
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}
{{companycity}}, {{companystate}} {{companyzip}}
{{companywebsite}}
{{companyemail}}
{{resdetails_all}}
Confirmation number: {{reservationnumber}}

Let me take a peek at mine. Mine are sent Three days away. (Diff place diff reasons, I know) many of mine are made the same week here.
Okay here it is, not up for discussion on why we do this or that, just sharing...this is formatted better when it sends auto as well. Just cut n pasting it here.
Dear {{guestfirstname}},
Your reservation is almost here! We are looking forward to seeing you and hope you will enjoy your stay!
Policies:
Check in: Our inn opens at 4:00 PM. You may check-in between 4-7 PM. We cannot accept early check ins. (Arrivals after 7pm please look for a note on the front door with your name and instructions).
Breakfast is served hot at 9am. Fresh Coffee is ready by 8:00am (earlier if requested), and premium tea.
If you are VEGETARIAN or cannot eat any of the basic breakfast foods, please inform BEFORE ARRIVAL. PORK is the breakfast meat of the south.
Please note - Parking will be in the rear on High St, go around the block -- look for our white fence and sign, after parking entry will be via the front door of B&B. 540.483.4616
turn RIGHT on North Main and then immediate LEFT onto B&B Ave (you will see "Blue Moon" Restaurant on our corner) From there, we are 4th house on right, look for sign out front under big maples. Parking is in the rear, please go to either end of the street and turn onto High Street, look for our white fence and sign.

(We are the only one with a fence in town as you pay tax on it annually, fyi anyone reading this! So it is a definite land mark for guests in their vehicles!)
Salutation,
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}
{{companywebsite}}
{{companyemail}}
{{resdetails_all}}
Thanks for sharing this, those first two sentences were what I needed, I couldn't figure out how to open. Sounds genuine and natural to me. I also didn't think about directions, that is a good one to have in there in case they ONLY print this and not the confirmation. I also really like your wording on the check-in time, probably a good space to remind them of that as well.
As you know, we often get folks who are on a longer trip when they stay with us, that's why I"m sending it a week early, hopefully before they leave home. I'm also going to give them the opportunity for me to set up dinner, tours, etc. as a week is generally enough notice. I am so excited about this new system, it looks beautiful and the functionality is fantastic (with some things even being built just for me...I'm a special needs PITA, yeah!!!).

I have never sent a reminder email, but I'm thinking of doing it now. Thanks for the idea ;)

You can send it at the time they can "last chance to cancel" now, I thought about that as well.
I thought about the longer trip and they may have already left home, but most bring the iPhone or use email while on the road now.
There are so many ways to do it.
I didn't have the directions on this REMINDER and then that WAS what people were bringing, so I added it to that. Also basic bookings details of date and room.

Before I switched to this rez system remember I got one of these in Dec for Myrtle Beach and it just sounded so nice! I tried to emulate it at that time on my own, but it basically stated to let them know if there is anything they can do to make your visit better, in advance. Of course I never would contact them, but that is a hotel, we are a B&B, our guests WOULD contact us! So if you want to open THAT can of worms, then go ahead. But playing concierge for weeks upon weeks for one room night is not what I get paid for. (Just saying, maybe $250 a night, I would add more of that)

Dear {{guestfirstname}},
Policies:

Salutation,
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}
{{companywebsite}}
{{companyemail}}
{{resdetails_all}}
Thanks for sharing this, those first two sentences were what I needed, I couldn't figure out how to open. Sounds genuine and natural to me. I also didn't think about directions, that is a good one to have in there in case they ONLY print this and not the confirmation. I also really like your wording on the check-in time, probably a good space to remind them of that as well.
As you know, we often get folks who are on a longer trip when they stay with us, that's why I"m sending it a week early, hopefully before they leave home. I'm also going to give them the opportunity for me to set up dinner, tours, etc. as a week is generally enough notice. I am so excited about this new system, it looks beautiful and the functionality is fantastic (with some things even being built just for me...I'm a special needs PITA, yeah!!!).
I sent the last reminder email about a week out. I started out with, "This is to re-confirm your reservation with us. We look forward to meeting you soon!" The system automatically plugged in the check-in date, time, length of stay, price, etc. The re-confirm emails were shorter and only included the policies pertinent to check-in. I had something in there that said, "Please refer to all of our policies in your original confirmation." Lastly, I had in there a line that was a pitch about it not being too late to add a package, with the link on our website. Good luck!

Dear {{guestfirstname}},
Policies:

Salutation,
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}
{{companywebsite}}
{{companyemail}}
{{resdetails_all}}
I like the idea of a week out reminding them they booked. And this is what is due on arrival. If we do a deposit, that's what I would do...a follow-up confirmation.

Dear {{guestfirstname}},
Policies:

Salutation,
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}
{{companywebsite}}
{{companyemail}}
{{resdetails_all}}
I like the idea of a week out reminding them they booked. And this is what is due on arrival. If we do a deposit, that's what I would do...a follow-up confirmation.
I just set up reminders for me in our rez system to do follow up confirms, depending on how far ahead they booked they might receive up to 3 total. You know how they pop up in the system that we had because you have the same one. The follow up confirms were much shorter. Sometimes, I'd stick in a mention about something going on if I wasn't sure about why they were here. It didn't take much time at all.

I have never sent a reminder email, but I'm thinking of doing it now. Thanks for the idea ;).
If you do any kind of add-ons, it's another marketing opportunity too. I did get a few folks that would reply back and add something on. Our cheese & fruit tray was popular for later arrivals.

I didn't want to upsell on the reminder, I also didn't want to get into "this has been charged, that is due upon check in" I think that is in the default email or something as well.

Back