WordPress instalation now updates itself

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
The topic of hosted blogs (like blogger or wordpress.com) vs self-hosted blog software (like wordpress.org) that runs on your own server. One of the drawbacks to the self-hosted blog software is that not only do you (or your webmaster) have to install the software but then you have to keep on top of the updates to make sure it stays as secure as possible.
The drawback of having to mess around with update installations has always been a bit annoying.... nothing difficult, but often beyond what the average innkeeper wants to handle. Well the good news is that WordPress v2.7 now supports automatic updates. It's had this feature for a few months now but it has gone untested until v2.8 was released (which was a few weeks back)
So here is basically how it works ...If you have 2.7 or later version installed, when a new version is released, a message appears in your WordPress dashboard telling you a new version has been released. A button appears to auto-update.. a click of the button has your server automatically download the update and performs the installation right in front of your eyes. it works pretty well if your webmaster set up the server permissions correctly and your server runs php 5.

Question: Along the same lines - - I was just wondering about the online based blogging and if I should back it up in some way? What would you recommend, not worry about it, or grab all the articles and save them in word or something?

Question: Along the same lines - - I was just wondering about the online based blogging and if I should back it up in some way? What would you recommend, not worry about it, or grab all the articles and save them in word or something?.
Good question. If you use WordPress, you can create an export file that is essentially an xml backup of the blog.
If you use Blogger, then you have a few options (none of which are as good as WordPress I am afraid.)
  1. If you alter this url to match your blog then you can get all of your posts on one page and save them just by using "File >>>Save as"
    yourblogname.blogspot.com/search?max-results=1000
  2. If you are on Windows there is an opensource software called "Blogger Backup" that will create a backup of your posts. http://www.codeplex.com/bloggerbackup (disclaimer: I've never used it personally so I can't vouch for it)
  3. Set-up a WordPress blog and use the import tool to import your blogger blog, then use the exprot tool to create an xml backup (then set the wordpress blog back to private so the world doesn't see two copies of your blog).

Question: Along the same lines - - I was just wondering about the online based blogging and if I should back it up in some way? What would you recommend, not worry about it, or grab all the articles and save them in word or something?.
Good question. If you use WordPress, you can create an export file that is essentially an xml backup of the blog.
If you use Blogger, then you have a few options (none of which are as good as WordPress I am afraid.)
  1. If you alter this url to match your blog then you can get all of your posts on one page and save them just by using "File >>>Save as"
  2. If you are on Windows there is an opensource software called "Blogger Backup" that will create a backup of your posts. http://www.codeplex.com/bloggerbackup (disclaimer: I've never used it personally so I can't vouch for it)
  3. Set-up a WordPress blog and use the import tool to import your blogger blog, then use the exprot tool to create an xml backup (then set the wordpress blog back to private so the world doesn't see two copies of your blog).
THANK YOU! That was so incredibly easy.

Which one did you use?

Thank you! I did the "save as" after putting all files on one page. Appreciate that! Now I have all of them on my C drive. I KNEW YOU WOULD KNOW!
cheers.gif

Thank you! I did the "save as" after putting all files on one page. Appreciate that! Now I have all of them on my C drive. I KNEW YOU WOULD KNOW!
cheers.gif
One caveat I forgot to mention with that method is that depending on which browser you are using and what settings you had available to you, that method may or may not have grabbed any images that your had in your posts.
You may need to go verify that those are present and accounted for.

cheers.gif
One caveat I forgot to mention with that method is that depending on which browser you are using and what settings you had available to you, that method may or may not have grabbed any images that your had in your posts.
swirt said:
No Worries. I actually have a folder titled BLOG and all the images are stowed there, so I have them all either way. Thanks again!

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
File-Save As. All the links are there but not the pix. Well, the picture link back to blogger is there but it only pulled in text, which is all I asked for. I would know which pix they were tho, by the tags. There weren't a lot of options on how to save it because IE thought the blog was a photo.

cheers.gif
swirt said:
No Worries. I actually have a folder titled BLOG and all the images are stowed there, so I have them all either way. Thanks again!
Great idea...a blog pic folder!

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
File-Save As. All the links are there but not the pix. Well, the picture link back to blogger is there but it only pulled in text, which is all I asked for. I would know which pix they were tho, by the tags. There weren't a lot of options on how to save it because IE thought the blog was a photo.
If you use iIE you should have an option for "webpage, complete" or something similar. It should grab all the images and throw them in a folder along with the web page.

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
If you use iIE you should have an option for "webpage, complete" or something similar. It should grab all the images and throw them in a folder along with the web page.
swirt said:
I did have that. But I did it in Firefox. I'll look at saving it the other way and see what I get. On another blog question...can a Google map be added to a Blogger post?

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
swirt said:
I did have that. But I did it in Firefox. I'll look at saving it the other way and see what I get. On another blog question...can a Google map be added to a Blogger post?
A google map can be embedded into just about anything.
Once you have the embed code from the map (click on "link" on the map) you just have to switch the blogger editor to "edit html" before you paste the code in.

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
You haven't come over to google chrome yet? I will never ever ever go back! I love it. I bet it can esp if you use blogspot which is google owned.

Have you made your map yet? The easiest way to post a map in your site
is to create a map (maps.google.com) and embed it.
Go to the map section of Google. Click "my maps", then create a new
map with the points you want, next click the "link" button (way off in
the upper right of the map) and copy the html code. Go to the page or
post that you want the map to appear in, and switch the editing mode
to coding/rich text, paste the html code. Save or publish the post.
http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help/search?group=blogger-help&q=google+map&qt_g=Search+this+group

Have you made your map yet? The easiest way to post a map in your site
is to create a map (maps.google.com) and embed it.
Go to the map section of Google. Click "my maps", then create a new
map with the points you want, next click the "link" button (way off in
the upper right of the map) and copy the html code. Go to the page or
post that you want the map to appear in, and switch the editing mode
to coding/rich text, paste the html code. Save or publish the post.
http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help/search?group=blogger-help&q=google+map&qt_g=Search+this+group.
I did one map on my website and this one I want to put on the blog as I don't really have a 'page' for what I want to map to be. Wait til you see it!

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
You haven't come over to google chrome yet? I will never ever ever go back! I love it. I bet it can esp if you use blogspot which is google owned.
I use Chrome some...but I find I get odd behavior from it on some sites, including this forum. There are times when I go to reply to a thread and the editor doesn't appear, so I have to reload the page. Either that or when the editor does load, the scroll bar only covers half of the editor window.
I've run into similar bizarre things on other sites with it. The pre-fetching of domain-ip locations makes it pretty fast. But I'll stick with Firefox for now. It has more webdeveloper tools available for it.

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
I use Chrome some...but I find I get odd behavior from it on some sites, including this forum. There are times when I go to reply to a thread and the editor doesn't appear, so I have to reload the page. Either that or when the editor does load, the scroll bar only covers half of the editor window.
I've run into similar bizarre things on other sites with it. The pre-fetching of domain-ip locations makes it pretty fast. But I'll stick with Firefox for now. It has more webdeveloper tools available for it.
I am with you. I see nothing special about Chrome. It doesn't load any faster..in fact slower for me sometimes. I usually just use it to check sites I am working on to see if it looks ok. And sometimes....it doesn't and it bugs the heck out of me trying to figure out why when it looks ok in Firefox and IE. Grrr...

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
I am with you. I see nothing special about Chrome. It doesn't load any faster..in fact slower for me sometimes. I usually just use it to check sites I am working on to see if it looks ok. And sometimes....it doesn't and it bugs the heck out of me trying to figure out why when it looks ok in Firefox and IE. Grrr...
catlady said:
Chrome saves all my boomarks in the best way possible, on the top bar and side list. I open chrome and all my top 9 most utlitized websites are right there. It gives small thumbnail versions of the websites, plus other nifty tools. The best feature is searching withing the URL field, I never go to find a search button - I type it all in there and it remembers of course, like many do. Plus a dozen other features I find I can't live without now.

Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Which one did you use?
swirt said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
catlady said:
Chrome saves all my boomarks in the best way possible, on the top bar and side list. I open chrome and all my top 9 most utlitized websites are right there. It gives small thumbnail versions of the websites, plus other nifty tools. The best feature is searching withing the URL field, I never go to find a search button - I type it all in there and it remembers of course, like many do. Plus a dozen other features I find I can't live without now.
I can do a search from Firefox url field.

Back