Words you never utter in your business

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
As I added a blog article to a directory and I read these words, I had to laugh as perhaps they get more clicks due to those words, but they are not words I utter, not in print nor in person, ever.
What words do you hear others in our industry use but you yourself decline using?
"Let us pamper you" that was the line, the words I never utter. I don't want to pamper anyone. Pampers are a brand of diaper, and I ain't changin' nobody's nappies!
Some others I do not use:
  1. Scrumptious (I guess it is too frou frou for me, valley girl speak or something "He's so scrumptious")
  2. Yummy (as it feel juvenile to me, or when I hear it the person uses it for everything as it seems to be their only vocab for something delicious)
  3. Gourmet (as I feel that is up to interpretation, to me gourmet is way way different than the average guest we have would)
  4. Candlelight breakfast (this imo means ONLY candles, no other lamps or chandeliers, this mean only candles)
  5. Season of love - this just feels cheezy to me.
This is my interpretation only, so I thought I would ask you what words you feel evoke a certain emotion in marketing your inn or not marketing your inn. :)

Oh yeah...my breakfasts are scrumptious, says so right on my website. Online, I use yummy or yum-o a lot.
Gourmet, nope, don't want to build up that expectation. Candlelight? On the porch it is a waste of candles, if I had a dark dining room, I might. Season of love is cheezy (with a z! cheez whizzy cheezy)
No pampering. That implies massages and foot rubs. Plus, I don't even like the way the word feels when I say it.
I've been told to avoid 'cozy' as it is realtor-speak for 'so small your butt hits the wall when you turn around'.
Charming. I think I use that one, tho. I use comfy. Probably should avoid that one, too.

BTW, with the open concept kitchen, the one word I never utter is 'oops!'

Cool we have massage so maybe it works for me.
I am sure a lot of us spend a fairt amount of time typing. Promos, web pages, blogging etc. I pick up words, use them for a while and move on. I like folksy expressions probably because I am not folksy. The key being it has to constantly be changing otherwise I also get bored.

This is no way implies any words you use are not terrific for your inn or location or personality. We are all different, what works for one will not work for another. As for the dripping gingerbread victorian look - there IS an inn on this forum that describes, so no casual comments allowed on their website, they need to describe it in dripping-gingerbready-super-sweet terms.
wink_smile.gif

I just wanted to share words that I don't use and why. I also try to not use STUFFY words, as I am not an old geezer (even if our house is!) I try to translate that we are not going to follow you around nor be your entertainment. If this comes across to those who have never been here, then great, I hope so! (and of course people don't read...so it is 6 of one half dozen of another!)
I try to use humor without offending anyone like my line "No Pop Tarts Allowed!" in a way to say "Yes! You will get a hot cooked breakfast here."

Always told to stay away from the word Cozy because is commonly thought of as a small space but also referrs to: Giving a feeling of comfort, warmth, and relaxation And that fits one of my rooms to a tee :D~
I use the term Gourmet Breakfast - fits my style most of the time
Country Breakfast - nope not used by me! I think of bacon, sunnyside eggs, grits & toast. They can get that at Waffle H ouse.

Always told to stay away from the word Cozy because is commonly thought of as a small space but also referrs to: Giving a feeling of comfort, warmth, and relaxation And that fits one of my rooms to a tee :D~
Country Breakfast - nope not used by me! I think of bacon, sunnyside eggs, grits & toast. They can get that at Waffle H ouse..
Minus the grits that is my breakfast. I don't call it country, tho. But I suppose it is. However, city girl here and that was a typical breakfast when I was a kid. Well, I had an egg and my dad had the toast and bacon.

Country Breakfast - nope not used by me! I think of bacon, sunnyside eggs, grits & toast. They can get that at Waffle H ouse..
Minus the grits that is my breakfast. I don't call it country, tho. But I suppose it is. However, city girl here and that was a typical breakfast when I was a kid. Well, I had an egg and my dad had the toast and bacon.
Alibi Ike said:
You're just a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll

I am hiding this in here. Business guest just told me he has had bed bugs more times than he can count at hotels. As you can imagine, besides me being all itchy and freaked now I can't wait for check out to go and inspect the room!
He said he will never place anything down on the floor or even a low chair now.
He said he will recommend us to all his colleagues and friends, I mentioned and said I do not want to be pushy but want to share that innkeepers have a vested interest in their B&B, we are not hired foreign innkeepers, we inspect, we make sure everything is clean and perfect for our guests. We would DIE if we had bed bugs here, DIE!

I am hiding this in here. Business guest just told me he has had bed bugs more times than he can count at hotels. As you can imagine, besides me being all itchy and freaked now I can't wait for check out to go and inspect the room!
He said he will never place anything down on the floor or even a low chair now.
He said he will recommend us to all his colleagues and friends, I mentioned and said I do not want to be pushy but want to share that innkeepers have a vested interest in their B&B, we are not hired foreign innkeepers, we inspect, we make sure everything is clean and perfect for our guests. We would DIE if we had bed bugs here, DIE!.
The bb inspection continues unabated every day.

Alibi Ike said:
[/quote]
[/quote]
"I'm a little bit Memphis and Nashville." "With a little bit of Motown in my soul."
Thanks, Joey...Now that silly song is gonna be running thru my brain all day!
wink_smile.gif

I'm very careful with the words worth less. I had a customer get upset because I said that the US dollar was worth less than a Canadian dollar. She skipped the last part and heard "worthless" and gave me flack for it.
I never say that breakfast is free. It's included. Free makes it sound as if it lacks value.
I never ask marital status, ever. So I never say the word "married". We are very careful to use partner and spouse and never husband and wife. Refering to marriage can offend some people in Canada, especially Quebec where more people are common law.

I'm very careful with the words worth less. I had a customer get upset because I said that the US dollar was worth less than a Canadian dollar. She skipped the last part and heard "worthless" and gave me flack for it.
I never say that breakfast is free. It's included. Free makes it sound as if it lacks value.
I never ask marital status, ever. So I never say the word "married". We are very careful to use partner and spouse and never husband and wife. Refering to marriage can offend some people in Canada, especially Quebec where more people are common law..
I am common law with other half and it gets on my wick when people make assumptions even when people mean well. I was saying the other day that both of us are alergic to flowers which makes gardening tricky and the lady said without thinking "oh that must have been terrible at your wedding" she meant well and it was just conversation but you either are put in a position of saying yes it was a bit tricky and lying or making the guest feel uncomfortable in either case you can't win. I do use DH on here as short hand because everyone knows you mean the other half but I don't see how it is of any of my guests business. Had one jolly old lady staying and I told her he was my toy boy (he is 3 years younger than me) and she said that "I did right!" but I knew it would tickle her sense of humour!

Back