Working Christmas?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, isn't this a crack up. Before opening an Inn I used to save all of our tp centers - cardboard rolls for a friend who made Christmas Crackers every year! She had everyone she knew savng them for her. Now i have as many as I could ever want and forgot about that, we could make our own easily. The rolls are the hardest part to get..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Actually, isn't this a crack up. Before opening an Inn I used to save all of our tp centers - cardboard rolls for a friend who made Christmas Crackers every year! She had everyone she knew savng them for her. Now i have as many as I could ever want and forgot about that, we could make our own easily. The rolls are the hardest part to get.
Duh! What a great idea!!!! (As I ponder a stack of empty rolls...)
I'm on Google now looking at directions. THANK YOU!!!!!
=)
Kk.

I don't like doing check-ins and check-outs on Christmas, but having guests isn't a big deal to us. We don't travel to see family and they all have kids so they don't travel to see us, either. For a whole house or even half a house, I'd definitely do that.
We haven't made anything special in the past. What you may need to think about is other meals besides breakfast as many, if not all, restaurants will be closed..
We haven't made anything special in the past. What you may need to think about is other meals besides breakfast as many, if not all, restaurants will be closed.
Interesting point. I will be checking to see what is open close to us. We are very close to a Hotel that we send our guests to for a cheap and cheerful dinner. Will also check out a couple of the nearby Hacienda's to see what they are offering. We ourselves have dined out during the holidays.
I haven't done dinners yet, been asked to but have kindly declined. We will see what Christmas inspires. Don't have the reservation yet ;) although thinking I am looking forward to it.
We have guests occasionally on Christmas morning - not usually a full house, but a few people. We don't do dinners here - a local hotel dining room is open and we tell guests when they make a reservation to definitely make one for dinner as nothing else is open.
We have done special breakfasts - here is an item from our blog for last year. I enjoy doing the Christmas crackers and the trifle - then we usually don't take check-ins on Christmas Day. Or Thanksgiving Day, for that matter.
I don't want to be dense but how to you avoid check-ins on the holiday? Do you just put it on your website? A note on the reservation system? Because of course blocking the date in my system would prevent someone from booking before. duh...

I don't like doing check-ins and check-outs on Christmas, but having guests isn't a big deal to us. We don't travel to see family and they all have kids so they don't travel to see us, either. For a whole house or even half a house, I'd definitely do that.
We haven't made anything special in the past. What you may need to think about is other meals besides breakfast as many, if not all, restaurants will be closed..
We haven't made anything special in the past. What you may need to think about is other meals besides breakfast as many, if not all, restaurants will be closed.
Interesting point. I will be checking to see what is open close to us. We are very close to a Hotel that we send our guests to for a cheap and cheerful dinner. Will also check out a couple of the nearby Hacienda's to see what they are offering. We ourselves have dined out during the holidays.
I haven't done dinners yet, been asked to but have kindly declined. We will see what Christmas inspires. Don't have the reservation yet ;) although thinking I am looking forward to it.
We have guests occasionally on Christmas morning - not usually a full house, but a few people. We don't do dinners here - a local hotel dining room is open and we tell guests when they make a reservation to definitely make one for dinner as nothing else is open.
We have done special breakfasts - here is an item from our blog for last year. I enjoy doing the Christmas crackers and the trifle - then we usually don't take check-ins on Christmas Day. Or Thanksgiving Day, for that matter.
I don't want to be dense but how to you avoid check-ins on the holiday? Do you just put it on your website? A note on the reservation system? Because of course blocking the date in my system would prevent someone from booking before. duh...
Yes, Webervations allows you to say 'yes' or 'no' to check-ins or check-outs on a specific date.

Yes, Webervations allows you to say 'yes' or 'no' to check-ins or check-outs on a specific date.
muirford said:
Does anyone know if other systems (SuperInn) have the same feature?

We don't have family or friends coming down this year so we are here any way. I love Christmas and it might be nice to have people to fuss over.
Christmas is celebrated on the 24th here with the big day being the 3 Kings Day on the 5th of January. So most restaurants will be open, unless it is a Monday.
It is just an enquiry so far. Nothing booked or paid for. We are hopeful though..
Cathy, where are you at?

We don't have family or friends coming down this year so we are here any way. I love Christmas and it might be nice to have people to fuss over.
Christmas is celebrated on the 24th here with the big day being the 3 Kings Day on the 5th of January. So most restaurants will be open, unless it is a Monday.
It is just an enquiry so far. Nothing booked or paid for. We are hopeful though..
Cathy, where are you at?
We are in Cuernavaca, Mexico. About an hour south of Mexico City Airport (if traffic is good).

What fun for a Christmas breakfast. Triffle for breakfast would be very nice as well. What a nice touch. I am thinking maybe a stuffed baked french toast as well your Christmas cracker and triffle ideas.
Did you make your own crackers? I wonder if I can get the supplies here for that. I have a friend from Ontario coming in October I may have to ask her to bring the snapper. I used to make mine years ago, but then Costco carried some really nice ones.
Thank you so much for sharing :)
Make my own crackers? No, sweetie, my first name is Jeanne not Martha!
teeth_smile.gif

I stock up on them around Christmas and afterwards at Marshall's and Target. Actually it would be fun to make them themed to your inn, if you were so inclined.
I have to say the trifle was fabulous. I used diced kiwi, strawberries and raspberries to make it red and green, and used cannoli cream for the layers. On the top I sprinkled pomegrante seeds, another of my favorite fruits for the holidays.
I am hoping that Costco carries the crackers this year. I think I bought them there a couple of years ago, or, I brought them down from Canada. (Where is my memory, I think I misplaced it.)
Making them is fun if you can get all the supplies. ;) I used to make them with my daughters.

Cathy, where are you at?
We are in Cuernavaca, Mexico. About an hour south of Mexico City Airport (if traffic is good).
Just curious here...had you vacationed in the area alot so decided to move and open a B & B there??? Or what brought you there to open your B & B? Are you fluent in Spanish? Are most of your guests Americans traveling to Mexico??

Cathy, where are you at?
Just curious here...had you vacationed in the area alot so decided to move and open a B & B there??? Or what brought you there to open your B & B? Are you fluent in Spanish? Are most of your guests Americans traveling to Mexico??
Cathy, I'm curious too, can you answer? I always thought I'd like to try the B&B in another country some day, dh is NOT of the same freespirited mindset...tell us the story!

Cathy, where are you at?
Cathy, I'm curious too, can you answer? I always thought I'd like to try the B&B in another country some day, dh is NOT of the same freespirited mindset...tell us the story!
Oh my gosh ... tell all tell all ... lol
In 2003 a group of 8 Girl Guide (Scout) Leaders came here to Cuernavaca to one of the 4 Girl Guide/Girl Scout World Centers. For me it was good timing as the December before I had surgery that had slightly gone wrong, it was also during recovery that I finally figured out that my now ex husband was not the person I married 20 years before.
It was during that session in February 2003 that I met the Assistant Manager of the World Center and became friends. We did some traveling in Canada and a trip to NYC .. and a few trips back and forth ... in the meantime I separated from the ex although lived in the same house. Yah lots of fun ... not.
I packed up my belongings that I cared for the most, put them in a storage locker and made a few more trips back and forth to Mexico. I loved it here. The culture, the people, the weather ... and the traveling.
We were renting, rent went up, thought about buying a house. After looking at houses we then decided to try and open a B&B, and work together. My partner's contract ended, she did not renew ... and so here we are. In our dream home.
Would love to share photos of our kitchen with you, it is amazing. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I could have a place like this.
So, are you all sleeping now? Shaking your heads?
I have 2 daughters and one grandson.

Cathy, where are you at?
In 2003 a group of 8 Girl Guide (Scout) Leaders came here to Cuernavaca to one of the 4 Girl Guide/Girl Scout World Centers. For me it was good timing as the December before I had surgery that had slightly gone wrong, it was also during recovery that I finally figured out that my now ex husband was not the person I married 20 years before.
It was during that session in February 2003 that I met the Assistant Manager of the World Center and became friends. We did some traveling in Canada and a trip to NYC .. and a few trips back and forth ... in the meantime I separated from the ex although lived in the same house. Yah lots of fun ... not.
I packed up my belongings that I cared for the most, put them in a storage locker and made a few more trips back and forth to Mexico. I loved it here. The culture, the people, the weather ... and the traveling.
We were renting, rent went up, thought about buying a house. After looking at houses we then decided to try and open a B&B, and work together. My partner's contract ended, she did not renew ... and so here we are. In our dream home.
Would love to share photos of our kitchen with you, it is amazing. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I could have a place like this.
Thanks for sharing. I have been watching so many of the HGTV House Hunter International..where U.S. citizens just pack up and move to a strange new place after having gone there on vacation once!!! Nothing I could ever do...and to pack up and leave the country..I just cannot imagine it..though After visiting Italy and watching under the Tuscan Sun, it sure seemed tempting:)

Cathy, where are you at?
I know another person who just up and left the US to start a B&B in Mexico. He loves it there and is doing very well...I know it's not my cup of tea, but I admire your courage and determintaion. I second guess my desire to start a B&B HERE in the states...I can't even imagine the strength it takes to do it out of the country!
Good for you;)

Cathy, where are you at?
See... that's a cool story, isn't it funny where life's path takes you?!

I've had guests over Christmas a few times. I do not "do" Christmas (tree, glitter, splash) and I tell the guests that. Most are wanting to escape the hoopla and it's been just fine. I do not take children so I've just had adults.
Yes, I do a special Christmas morning breakfast. It's no big deal. Two years ago I had to do Christmas dinner because all the restaurants decided to close. I had Italians and Germans here. It was really very nice but wayyy to much work and stress so I wouldn't do it again. I did breakfast, appies and drinks before dinner and then a big dinner. Didn't do turkey but game hens. The guests contributed actually. The Germans brought lots of wine. The Italians brought special sweets and breads from Italy.

We definitely work Xmas .... the house gets decorated, each room gets its own enormous tree, I put gifts under them for the guests .... I love having people here and it (so far) works out perfectly because they are in the area to see family so disappear after breakfast.
Last Xmas, we had a couple stay here with their recently widowed mother (in-law). The M(IL) hadn't wanted to put up a tree in her own house and apparently was really happy that she could stay somewhere with a tree that someone else had taken care of. They put all their gifts under her tree - it looked so beautiful

We definitely work Xmas .... the house gets decorated, each room gets its own enormous tree, I put gifts under them for the guests .... I love having people here and it (so far) works out perfectly because they are in the area to see family so disappear after breakfast.
Last Xmas, we had a couple stay here with their recently widowed mother (in-law). The M(IL) hadn't wanted to put up a tree in her own house and apparently was really happy that she could stay somewhere with a tree that someone else had taken care of. They put all their gifts under her tree - it looked so beautiful.
I definitely want to come to your inn for Christmas. But can you guarantee that there will be snow? hahahahahahahahahaha
devil_smile.gif
(silly guest question)

I would have a B&B in Costa Rica in a heart beat. But that is a friendlyliterate and democratic nation. There are many ex-pats there. Many US retirees move to Costa Rica.

I would have a B&B in Costa Rica in a heart beat. But that is a friendlyliterate and democratic nation. There are many ex-pats there. Many US retirees move to Costa Rica..
The thing that concerns me the most say in Rowatan or Costa Rica or even Mexico..what about health care??? Stuck in the middle of nowhere..what happens when you really get sick. In spite of all the complaints we have about health care, it's nice knowing I can get it within 5 min if I need it.

I would have a B&B in Costa Rica in a heart beat. But that is a friendlyliterate and democratic nation. There are many ex-pats there. Many US retirees move to Costa Rica..
The thing that concerns me the most say in Rowatan or Costa Rica or even Mexico..what about health care??? Stuck in the middle of nowhere..what happens when you really get sick. In spite of all the complaints we have about health care, it's nice knowing I can get it within 5 min if I need it.
catlady said:
Mexico and Costa Rica are nowhere near the same in anything. But as an example:
I do know Americans who retire to the Baja Peninsula have healthcare. They BUY IT and bring it in. They have a DR and medical facility and a helo when needed. This was first hand knowledge from family who had moved there as snowbirds. They entire community pooled money for these things. Anything major they flew back to the states. I knew someone who had heart issues and flew back (first was seen there in MEX by their American DR)
Now to add to that the other thing is Americans are FLOCKING to Mexico for medical care right now. I am not advising that or condoning it, but they are going there for dental and medical and other. It is a huge movement right now. (My father's UNION magazine he gets since he retired has ADS in it for Mexican dental and medical) which of course made him want to tear up this magazine and stomp on it.

Back