Working together to save money

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I am really local here (was born here went away then came back) so I often have insider knowledge I share to help people. Ie last year saved my B&B friend Marie $1000 on getting her car repaired by sending her to the garage I use. This week my B&B neighbour Mike saved $200 on his new canopy (it fell to bits over the winter) due to the tip i gave him.
So it is about using knowlege to help one another as well as half of making money is not letting the money you have out.
So this is a topic of money saving tips ie particularly good saving on sheets etc or the best place to get something as well as budget tips for fixing things.
It just made me think of it cos of the Duct Tape Lady - this may be a step too far!

I wish that the other innkeepers that had been here for a long time (and were also from here) were like you when I opened my B&B. They were the exact opposite - knowledge is power and the person with the knowledge has the power. I never got one iota of referral advice regarding contractors, etc. That was so foreign to the way that I operate. Now there is only one place left, so I guess they have all the power! hahaha.....

Habitat for Humanity Re-store ... they are in US and Canada, I don't know about elsewhere? Just went with a friend to one and he bought two brand new toilets, I think it was $20 each. Double rolls of wallpaper for $2. He bought a cherry headboard and footboard, queen size, $20. gorgeous. Worth exploring ... http://www.habitat.org/restores/ Many of them show partial inventory online. Might help someone.

Habitat for Humanity Re-store ... they are in US and Canada, I don't know about elsewhere? Just went with a friend to one and he bought two brand new toilets, I think it was $20 each. Double rolls of wallpaper for $2. He bought a cherry headboard and footboard, queen size, $20. gorgeous. Worth exploring ... http://www.habitat.org/restores/ Many of them show partial inventory online. Might help someone..
Great resource...we have donated quite a few things there that were in good shape. We also have bought things at the Habitate store for our community renovation project house and the prices were very reasonable.

The way I see it is it isn't costing me anything is it? plus then they owe me a favour which puts me at the top of the referal list plus I am happy to give work to people who do a good deal or provide a good service.. For example Marie with the car recomended her decorator to me who was a bargain price, lovely man and did the whole of room 1 (stripping and redecorating) in a day and a half! and that was with getting 3 lots of old paper off! So was super pleased. Why make people struggle? what is the purpose of it? especially in these economic times? We have some fab second hand shops and a really good local auction with whom we have built up a good relationship as well so we are lucky but it is plumbers, electricians, decorators, carpet people, gas/boiler people/ and so on that are like gold to us B&B people as well.

Back