WORLD'S MOST OUTRAGEOUS HOTEL FEES

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
WORLD'S MOST OUTRAGEOUS HOTEL FEES[/h2]There's nothing new about outlandish hotel surcharges. The October 6, 1904, edition of The Daily Star in Fredericksburg, VA, published a list of unscrupulous lodging fees, mainly in Europe, that included fees for towels, nightshirts, heat, hot water, horse stabling (whether the guest brought a horse or not), and, in one hotel, a one-penny fee for each ascent and descent in the hotel elevator.
read more...
article here

I'm telling ya, we are missing some big bucks by giving everything away.

We state in our policies there are no hidden surcharges. Plus we don't really do anything else that we could charge for. Unless I start doing guided tours lol

We state in our policies there are no hidden surcharges. Plus we don't really do anything else that we could charge for. Unless I start doing guided tours lol.
We state in our policies there are no hidden surcharges. Plus we don't really do anything else that we could charge for. Unless I start doing guided tours lol
The hotels aren't doing anything extra either- they're charging for basics like towels and using the lift!

Sounds like they are taking their cue from the airlines!
sad_smile.gif

Anyone notice that the article was originaly written in 1904 ?
So.........what's changed in a hundred years ?

So.........what's changed in a hundred years ?.
One Day said:
So.........what's changed in a hundred years ?
I actually never looked at the date! Thought the 'horse-stabling' was odd but then thought it might be in horse country!

The article began with information from a 1904 article but it is a newly writen piece. Some interesting parts:
The lodging industry stands to earn more than $1.75 billion this year in surcharges alone, which means extra fees are likely to be with us for years to come.
The inflated cost of some surcharges raises the ire of many guests: $5 to have a package delivered to your room, $20 for Internet connection, $30 or more for mandatory valet parking. ......
Other surcharge surprises include additional fees to pay with a credit card, a charge of $1–$3 for the in-room safe (whether you use it or not), and even a fee to use the in-room coffeemaker. "Resort fees" of $25 a day or more are commonplace. And some hotels, especially in the Caribbean, are still tacking on energy surcharges—despite the absence of an energy crisis. The list is as long as it is upsetting.
Now that is a lot of money in surcharges!!! And people still don't get the value of B&Bs!!!
Interesting note about the additional fees to pay by CC - and we are all warned that this is a big NO NO.
In room safe - been hit with this one a time or two and I refuse to pay it if I did not use it and they have always removed it from my bill.
Regarding Energy Surcharges - have not seen these at any hotels since 2001 BUT my garbage bill has yet to remove a fuel surcharge that was tacked on during the $4 a gal days.

The more things change the more they stay the same. 1904 and they were doing all these charges!!! Wow...

LB could be, but there are some Dubai hospitality folks on the Linkedin forums.
First post with a link is usually the red flag though, you are right.

Back