Worried wife calls at 5 AM !!!!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
Some people have nerve.....
I don't know where she called from, but here is the wife of one of my guests 9 net knowing it's the wife at first), calling at 5 am, like to get transferred to his room. "Well", I told her, " we are a B&B, not a hotel. We do not have such a fance phone set up." Could I please go and get him on the phone. I told her she would have to call back in about 5 minutes, since it is only 5 AM here, we are in bed sleeping, and I have to get dressed before I can go to any guests room.
I am grumpy, hubs is grumpy..getting derssed, waiting for the call back. Finally she does, then tells me she is the wife and she is worried since she's been trying to call his cell since last night and no answer. I assured her that he had checked in last night, his car was here and he is fine. She insisted I'd go check.
So I go up, knock on the door....I can hear the alrm clock music, but no answer. I tell her so and mention he might be in the shower. End of call.
Go back to bed....
45 minutes later she calls again...." I am sorry to wake you, but I am really worried....can you please go check again ?" While she was still talking, I laid the phone on the bed, got dresses, again, and went upstairs.
I had to knock a few times, but was not about to give up until I got an answer. Gee, if his wife can wake us up, why can't I be a nusance to him?
When he finally answeered, I told him his wife is on the phone....he said to tell her he'd call right back. I told her so and hung up on her. Maybe not the nicest thing to do ...but what the heck...
So I go back to bed. Told my hubs about it, again,..he said: " Also tell him to bring home a loaf of bread..haha
So, next time, I just ask people to give ma a number and I have the guest call them back....
But heck, this still does not make up for being woke up at 5 AM !
I can't really turn off the ringer since it might be someone of our family calling with an emergency...

These aren't for everybody, but we have one of these Panasonic Phone systems . We can put a call on hold and transfer it to a specific room (cabin). It can do cool stuff like prevent long distance dialing, prevent anyone from picking up an extension and listening in, could print out call details, block certain phones from ringing on incoming calls. Blocks our dining room phones from ringing during breakfast time.... Lots of cool features. If I was setting it up now, I'd probably use one of these newer models (easier to program and more features)Advanced Hybrid Wired/wireless System Control

Thanks for the info....so, the main phone would be coming in as your business line? Then, if someone would be on another phone, will it still ring for an incoming call?
I will check it out.

Swirt, we have a similar system to yours. It works wonders and saves me time running up the stairs when someone is downstairs or on phone someone in a room. I have our guest rooms set just to make local calls.
I will say that it is more and more rare that the guests use these phones as most have cell phones now. The big users are international guests calling local friends, family or attractions.

I have a beautiful, full-length robe I would wear if this happened to me...
=)
Kk.

Swirt, we have a similar system to yours. It works wonders and saves me time running up the stairs when someone is downstairs or on phone someone in a room. I have our guest rooms set just to make local calls.
I will say that it is more and more rare that the guests use these phones as most have cell phones now. The big users are international guests calling local friends, family or attractions..
i turn off the ringer on my phone at nite.
sorry, but emergency or no, i will have to hear about when i get up between 5 and 6:30 am ... depending. we get wrong number calls and nuisance calls and prank calls at all hours of the nite so i am not about to have the phone ringing beside me. the ringer is on in the kitchen next to the breakfast room so if i'm up late, i'll hear it there.

Thanks for the info....so, the main phone would be coming in as your business line? Then, if someone would be on another phone, will it still ring for an incoming call?
I will check it out..
Mooseberry Inn said:
I will check it out.
CALLER ID.

I will check it out..
Mooseberry Inn said:
I will check it out.
CALLER ID.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
I will check it out.
CALLER ID.
Tok is still in the dark ages.... CI works on the cell phones, but not on land lines. Not available here, only *69

Din't even think about the robe.....
tounge_smile.gif

Never, ever had this happen. I think I would answer the phone if it rang at this hour. I don't think I would even notice the caller id at this hour. Then, after hearing what she had to say, I would tell her, very politely, that **************** and not to call again.

I have caller ID, but my old phone garbles it anyway.
The phone is next to my ear. I answer it. I would put on the robe, knock on the door, throw the phone in there, and go back to bed.
It's no worse than being woken up because somebody small needs me in the night, and actually probably easier.
I've only had one 2 a.m. phone call (for the weekend we were already booked). I answered it of course. Can't say I was very pleasant, though...
=)
Kk.

This is reminding me of a midnight call a few weeks ago. Gentleman called 3 times in a row. I didn't answer the first 2, there is nothing I can do for any guest at midnight. No rooms at that time, I am not taking a reservation, etc. Finally, I figured it must be an emergency and my family knows I answer the inn phone, even if I don't answer my personal phone.
I answer the phone with 'hello?' not wanting to be too friendly and perky and I could see the caller id wasn't family but maybe it was an emergency for a guest in house.
No. This was a man calling for a guest who had left the week before. He wanted me to tell him where they were. Did they leave me a forwarding number? Huh? This was the guest's BROTHER. If HE didn't know where she was, why would I?
I mumbled something about not knowing where she was or even when she had been here. He persisted...'Was she there yesterday? The day before? Last week? Last year?'
Finally I said, 'I'm sorry, you got me out of bed and I can't think when it was I last saw her.'
He said, 'Well, sor-ree. It IS an emergency you know. I need to get in touch with her and it's too bad you can't be more helpful.' Very snide.
Yeah, well, when guests are such good friends they leave me their entire vacation plans even tho they don't tell their own family, then I'll know I've been doing this too long.

This is reminding me of a midnight call a few weeks ago. Gentleman called 3 times in a row. I didn't answer the first 2, there is nothing I can do for any guest at midnight. No rooms at that time, I am not taking a reservation, etc. Finally, I figured it must be an emergency and my family knows I answer the inn phone, even if I don't answer my personal phone.
I answer the phone with 'hello?' not wanting to be too friendly and perky and I could see the caller id wasn't family but maybe it was an emergency for a guest in house.
No. This was a man calling for a guest who had left the week before. He wanted me to tell him where they were. Did they leave me a forwarding number? Huh? This was the guest's BROTHER. If HE didn't know where she was, why would I?
I mumbled something about not knowing where she was or even when she had been here. He persisted...'Was she there yesterday? The day before? Last week? Last year?'
Finally I said, 'I'm sorry, you got me out of bed and I can't think when it was I last saw her.'
He said, 'Well, sor-ree. It IS an emergency you know. I need to get in touch with her and it's too bad you can't be more helpful.' Very snide.
Yeah, well, when guests are such good friends they leave me their entire vacation plans even tho they don't tell their own family, then I'll know I've been doing this too long..
'Sorry, I don't know who you are and even if I had that information I wouldn't share it with you'
Click.

I will check it out..
You would need two lines for it to function as you describe. We have it set up so that the guest phones can only grab our personal phone line when they dial out. It leaves the business line available for incoming calls.

Yeah, well, when guests are such good friends they leave me their entire vacation plans even tho they don't tell their own family, then I'll know I've been doing this too long..
'Sorry, I don't know who you are and even if I had that information I wouldn't share it with you'
Click.
muirford said:
Click.
Oh, sure, you're wide awake coming up with that answer!
wink_smile.gif
After he started getting pushy, tho, I wasn't giving him the time of day. It was her name on the caller id so I figured he probably WAS her brother, but still, I don't give out that info. That I even said I HAD seen her recently made me wish I had just clammed up right away.

Click.
muirford said:
Click.
wink_smile.gif
After he started getting pushy, tho, I wasn't giving him the time of day. It was her name on the caller id so I figured he probably WAS her brother, but still, I don't give out that info. That I even said I HAD seen her recently made me wish I had just clammed up right away.
You're right
teeth_smile.gif

I rarely hear our phone when it rings in the middle of the night, but I would probably hear it and answer it if it rang three times, then I would be really pissed if it wasn't a family emergency. I would have got to that statement eventually, though - I think.

I will check it out..
You would need two lines for it to function as you describe. We have it set up so that the guest phones can only grab our personal phone line when they dial out. It leaves the business line available for incoming calls.
We do have 2 lines, that would work. My old personal line is my business line, and most everyone besides business still calls us at that number, which is fine. So we installed a new personal line, unlisted number, and it is dedicated for guests calling out.
I am doing allright with techie stuff, but I guess I really have to check more into that equipment.
All you need is what you told me in your link above?
Can I use any phone?

Click.
muirford said:
Click.
wink_smile.gif
You're right
teeth_smile.gif

I rarely hear our phone when it rings in the middle of the night, but I would probably hear it and answer it if it rang three times, then I would be really pissed if it wasn't a family emergency. I would have got to that statement eventually, though - I think.
Guests do have our phone number for emergencies & also my cell phone number. The landline is on my side of the bed & my cell sits on the bedside table or headboard above my head. Of course! Why would my dh answer the phone at night??

I will check it out..
We do have 2 lines, that would work. My old personal line is my business line, and most everyone besides business still calls us at that number, which is fine. So we installed a new personal line, unlisted number, and it is dedicated for guests calling out.
I am doing allright with techie stuff, but I guess I really have to check more into that equipment.
All you need is what you told me in your link above?
Can I use any phone?
THe one I have which is an older model, requires one official Panasonic phone to program the system with. Other than that you can use any phone with the system. We have just regular inexpensive phones in the cabins, but most of our phones are a variety of system phones so we can see who is on what line and put people on hold and things like that. You can do most of those things with the regular phones too, but they requre remembering flash codes to do anything. With the dedicated system phones there are actual line buttons and hold buttons etc.

Click.
muirford said:
Click.
wink_smile.gif
You're right
teeth_smile.gif

Guests do have our phone number for emergencies & also my cell phone number. The landline is on my side of the bed & my cell sits on the bedside table or headboard above my head. Of course! Why would my dh answer the phone at night??
Or with the hearing aids out, can't hear the phone or anything else.
I have had one middle of the night call from a women in Thialand, then she called another day when I was in the shower. She eventually stayed a few nights.
Also had one at 1am that wanted a room for that night.

Back