Worst Breakfast you've ever been served?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hired as a consultant to tell a management group how to run a B & B. The owner of the hotel had purchased several of the old mansions in town and had 2 men working full-time for 4 years at that point and it was not done. A friend of the owner told him he should make it a B & B and that is why I was there. First thing I asked for was a tour.
Beautiful place. First question - where are the innkeeper's quarters? Ah - it could be the old kitchen building (it was detached from the house) - OK. Ah, whwere is the dining room? Ah, well we could put a couple small tables in the parlor. Hmmm. Where is the kitchen? Well the hotel is just across the parking lot and we figured we could just bring a hot cart across with the breakfast.
I told them they did not have a B & B, it could be a guest house with breakfast provided at a restaurant near-by. I have no idea how it turned out - but in the meeting after the tour I told them the second B was just as important or more important. One of the brass there said they had stayed at a B & B and was reminissing about the breakfast. I pointed out how he remembered the FOOD!

We once stayed in what was supposed to be the top B&B in this one town. All sorts of rave reviews and the innkeeper was supposed to be a chef who gave cooking classes.
The room we were given appeared to have been decorated from a redneck garage sale with absolutely no hint of taste.
The mattress we slept in had two large indentions on each side from having been slept on past its due date. They made up for this by putting a piece of plywood under it. At the time, we had just opened our B&B and the host knew that we were new innkeepers. She had been in business 9 years. I asked "How often do you change out your mattresses" She replied, "Oh, I never have." The shower featured a large, but used, bar of soap.
We we got up in the morning, we found a note taped to the coffee maker telling us to make our own coffee. Breakfast was some desiccated mass in an oblong ramekin covered in plastic in the fridge with instructions on how long to heat it in the microwave. This was served with 3-day-old bread and some unidentified jelly and margarine. The fruit course, also in the fridge, was something along the line of canned fruit cocktail.
O.K., we've traveled, we can adjust. But, as we were sitting there drinking the coffee we had just made, the innkeeper comes in and informs us that she's going to strip the beds now because she has to be somewhere else later. IT WAS ONLY 9 A.M.!! Checkout was at 11:00.
This was not only our worst breakfast, but the worst B&B we've ever been in.

We once stayed in what was supposed to be the top B&B in this one town. All sorts of rave reviews and the innkeeper was supposed to be a chef who gave cooking classes.
The room we were given appeared to have been decorated from a redneck garage sale with absolutely no hint of taste.
The mattress we slept in had two large indentions on each side from having been slept on past its due date. They made up for this by putting a piece of plywood under it. At the time, we had just opened our B&B and the host knew that we were new innkeepers. She had been in business 9 years. I asked "How often do you change out your mattresses" She replied, "Oh, I never have." The shower featured a large, but used, bar of soap.
We we got up in the morning, we found a note taped to the coffee maker telling us to make our own coffee. Breakfast was some desiccated mass in an oblong ramekin covered in plastic in the fridge with instructions on how long to heat it in the microwave. This was served with 3-day-old bread and some unidentified jelly and margarine. The fruit course, also in the fridge, was something along the line of canned fruit cocktail.
O.K., we've traveled, we can adjust. But, as we were sitting there drinking the coffee we had just made, the innkeeper comes in and informs us that she's going to strip the beds now because she has to be somewhere else later. IT WAS ONLY 9 A.M.!! Checkout was at 11:00.
This was not only our worst breakfast, but the worst B&B we've ever been in..
That is sad, just sad. :-(

Back