Worst tourists in the world?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i saw this article and really didn't get enough tourists from either place to have what i'd consider a fair opinion. it's not a nice article in my view.

Isn't that pretty much the reputation the French have in their own country. I've never had any desire to go to France, but I hear they aren't good hosts either and especially don't like Americans. Hopefully that's changing. Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries.

Isn't that pretty much the reputation the French have in their own country. I've never had any desire to go to France, but I hear they aren't good hosts either and especially don't like Americans. Hopefully that's changing. Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries..
I've been there and was treated very well everywhere I went with the exception of 2 shops in Paris. I do not speak French with the exception of courtesy words like please, thank you and good morning. Everyone who could immediately switched to English for me for which I was very grateful.

We have had nothing but wonderful French guests, but none have been from Paris. It is funny to note a discussion we had with one French couple. We were planning our European cruise and we were going to stop in Nice. We happened to bring this up to them and THEY said 'good you are not going to experience Paris - we (the French) we don't even go there, they are rude.'
This couple was so very nice. He is an art dealer/appraiser and took a look at several pieces of art we inherited. A few weeks later, we recieve a letter with his findings on these works and provided us with an appraisal. I knew they were nice BUT - they were then added as a ridder on our ins. What a wonderful gift!

We had some absolutely wonderful guests from Singapore. They were so polite and charming. Tiny too, so short they couldn't reach the hangers in the closet or the towels so we had to make some provisions for them and a extra step so they could get into the bed. Funny thing was that I think they were afraid to offend us because I have never seen 2 tiny people eat like they did ( either that or the wife was putting all the food in her purse). No one ever cleans their plates of all food....but they did.
They marveled at an oriele bird outside the parlor window and was convinced it was someones excaped pet and was quite fretful and upset about it. It took me most of the morning to convince them that is was truly a wild bird. They said most wild birds do not sing so beautifully. They were just lovely people.

Isn't that pretty much the reputation the French have in their own country. I've never had any desire to go to France, but I hear they aren't good hosts either and especially don't like Americans. Hopefully that's changing. Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries..
SweetiePie said:
Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries.
I remember that I thought that was just plain dumb. Anyway they're called Pom Frits and they orginated in Belgium. The Brits call 'em "chips". That whole thing came across as a redneck backlash.
I've been to Europe several time and each time we were embarassed by the large number of "ugly Americans" who seemed to pervade the usual tourist areas. These are the same PITAs we get, but in a louder, couldn't be more rude, incarnation. I got so tired of hearing,"Don't these people know that we're Americans!" like Americans were supposed to get special privileges. Get a clue people! Different country, different culture, different language!
To judge another group of people by our values and culture shows a lack of tolerance and understanding. Historically, we Americans have a tendancy to condemn people for their differences rather than try to understand them. That being said, unless we have a complete understanding of the French language, culture, history and mindset, we(in general) shouldn't be so quick to judge.

i would like to see the raw data
(*and i would still like to go to france someday*)

We had some absolutely wonderful guests from Singapore. They were so polite and charming. Tiny too, so short they couldn't reach the hangers in the closet or the towels so we had to make some provisions for them and a extra step so they could get into the bed. Funny thing was that I think they were afraid to offend us because I have never seen 2 tiny people eat like they did ( either that or the wife was putting all the food in her purse). No one ever cleans their plates of all food....but they did.
They marveled at an oriele bird outside the parlor window and was convinced it was someones excaped pet and was quite fretful and upset about it. It took me most of the morning to convince them that is was truly a wild bird. They said most wild birds do not sing so beautifully. They were just lovely people..
I can totally agree to that. I even ended up being married to one. She also complains about not being taller and wants longer and skinnier legs.
Believe me they ate all their food. It is amazing how much they can eat, I’m quite big and love to eat especially Asian food but I can’t beat my wife, after I’m full she still goes on eating and eating… If you have the chance to go to Singapore you will see that you can eat 24/7. And all the different kind of food is sooo good. You have a lot of food courts with little small stalls selling all types of ethnic food and you don’t have to worry about hygiene. They are all constantly checked by the health department and get ratings from A to C. If you get an C you have one month to improve to B or your stall will be closed.

i would like to see the raw data
(*and i would still like to go to france someday*).
I'd like to go back. I have a friend who knows the Perrier family and it would be great fun to go on a couples' vacation with him & his wife and hob nob. And my daughter & I are going to go back when her kids are old enough (the g-kids are not going).

SweetiePie said:
Remember when we actually changed the name of our French fries to Freedom fries.
I remember that I thought that was just plain dumb. Anyway they're called Pom Frits and they orginated in Belgium. The Brits call 'em "chips". That whole thing came across as a redneck backlash.
I've been to Europe several time and each time we were embarassed by the large number of "ugly Americans" who seemed to pervade the usual tourist areas. These are the same PITAs we get, but in a louder, couldn't be more rude, incarnation. I got so tired of hearing,"Don't these people know that we're Americans!" like Americans were supposed to get special privileges. Get a clue people! Different country, different culture, different language!
To judge another group of people by our values and culture shows a lack of tolerance and understanding. Historically, we Americans have a tendancy to condemn people for their differences rather than try to understand them. That being said, unless we have a complete understanding of the French language, culture, history and mindset, we(in general) shouldn't be so quick to judge.
Proud Texan said:
SweetiePie said:
BRAVO!!!
cheers.gif

Most "tourists" are ugly. These are not the ones who want to fit in and learn a culture they just want everything their way. No matter what country they originate.

I have Inn-mates here right now, and rude guests.
cry_smile.gif
My downstairs heat pump which is a/c is on the fritz and we had to turn it off. So it is beginning to heat up - fortunately it is not hot outside today, only like 75.
The rude guests wanted to check in early and are totally aggro. I have this nice spread with refreshments and greet them with a smile and they didn't say anything nice, not even thank you.
Totally ticked off because they arrived after receiving the confirmation which states check in time, and they still arrived early.
They accosted the one inn-mate and said How can you get in early? And the inn-mate replied, "I stayed here last night." Which she did.
Now I am all stressed. Two more rooms to check in and no a/c. We called someone and DH will turn it inside out to try to fix it if he can.

I can only think of one French couple we had here. He went to shake my hand and then dropped it with the exclamation that " I have zee hans of a scu laa ree maid". I thought that was uncalled for.

I can only think of one French couple we had here. He went to shake my hand and then dropped it with the exclamation that " I have zee hans of a scu laa ree maid". I thought that was uncalled for..
The Farmers Daughter said:
I can only think of one French couple we had here. He went to shake my hand and then dropped it with the exclamation that " I have zee hans of a scu laa ree maid". I thought that was uncalled for.
scullery maid: A domestic servant, of lowest status, whose job is to wash dishes and do other menial chores. a.k.a. an innkeeper.
What bothered you most? His brutal honesty or the fact that he noticed?
wink_smile.gif
At least he didn't say that you "have zee hans of a toilette sroob bare"

Back