Would you check in a guest who showed at 3am the next morning?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee....I'am a 2 cottage B&B. Have had very late arrival @1:30 am, just left the key for them. They booked 2 nights so were charged 2 nights. We talked on the phone at 8 pm and they thought they would arrive at 11pm. Late arrivals never get the full value of the B&B, can't run the coffee maker(it grinds,etc), can't find the button for the jetted tub, sometimed can't find the remote for the fireplace, don't know they have the key to the hot tub room and barn on their key ring, etc. etc, There paying for all this but not getting the full value of the stay,this is something I do not understand ?.Mainly DC area guest like" Greyswan."..Mary in Bwater.
I agree with this...basically if they are not here by 6 pm then we are just a place to sleep, you're not going to get much out of your stay. To each their own.

Good Question. I would probably sleep on the sofa in our living space so I could hear them when they got here or just leave a self checkin envelope. Once I'm in bed, I cannot hear the doorbell, the phone or knocking.
I would try to call them about my bedtime to see what's happening.

I think this is really a tough one given that they should have arrived roughly at 9 PM based on their call to you, informing you that they missed your normal check-in window. I really have to think that if everything was explained to them about late arrivals and self check-in process and I waited up until 1:30 PM, which is another 4.5 hours after their new expected arrival, I would have been convinced they weren't showing OR that if they showed after that time it was probably not going to be pleasant. (Like maybe they had been partying a bit too much.) This doesn't bode well for a good scenario and would seem like these really are more hotel folks. 4 people tromping up the staircase with their stuff, when?
I had a few people show up in the 1 AM time frame but they always called if they were going to be late and then called back with further delays. Always due to late arriving flights due to weather at our major airport 90+ minutes away or a big accident on the Interstate.
How many innkeepers here on the forum have actually had guests show up in the really, really wee hours of the morning?

I, we, are all very tired, this was not just someone late checking in, this was a total disturbance to the entire family. Fortunately there were no other guests checked in. They were here to party, they had been partying, the didn't care about anyone else, there was no respect, we were simply a motel to them.
Our check in time is not 3AM. Ever. I do know if people check in late, and they would have been over our bedroom. We didn't sleep a wink as it was. They told us 9pm, they didn't show at 130PM when we finally took the note off the door.
We are not a motel, we won't be a motel. This was a red flag alerting us to worse to come, we both felt that in our gut, so we nipped it in the bud, we did not charge them, they went to a motel up the road. So there's the rest of the story...and then there is this...they called this afternoon to stay here tonight. YEAH RIGHTO! We said No, we have no rooms available for you.
This was one of those calls you have to made at the time and do the right thing for you and yours. Lost revenue and all...peace of mind weighs much higher on our scale.

I think this is really a tough one given that they should have arrived roughly at 9 PM based on their call to you, informing you that they missed your normal check-in window. I really have to think that if everything was explained to them about late arrivals and self check-in process and I waited up until 1:30 PM, which is another 4.5 hours after their new expected arrival, I would have been convinced they weren't showing OR that if they showed after that time it was probably not going to be pleasant. (Like maybe they had been partying a bit too much.) This doesn't bode well for a good scenario and would seem like these really are more hotel folks. 4 people tromping up the staircase with their stuff, when?
I had a few people show up in the 1 AM time frame but they always called if they were going to be late and then called back with further delays. Always due to late arriving flights due to weather at our major airport 90+ minutes away or a big accident on the Interstate.
How many innkeepers here on the forum have actually had guests show up in the really, really wee hours of the morning?.
The latest I can recall was around 2 AM. They called to say they'd be late (at 6 PM they hadn't left home in NYC, yet) so we told them the procedure. THEY assumed it meant 'stay out as late as you want' so that was our fault I guess. They stopped in Boston to have dinner with friends and THEN continued to meander on up here.
They were guests we were better off without because they spent their time trying to outdo each other in being miserable to each other. They were loud on arrival, loud at breakfast, basically just rude people. They came a couple of times and were sarcastic each time.
I have found, tho, that if we tell guests we're putting out the info at 9 PM, they slow down. They figure it's all taken care of and they don't have to rush. So we do need to be mindful of telling them there ARE other people SLEEPING here. (Because a parking lot full of cars does NOT convey that info at all. Those cars must ALL be mine or they're from people who randomly parked there.)
But, even tho late check-in is infrequent, going out until 2 AM is not. And those folks are not quiet at all. First they have to unlock the car (beep beep), then they have to open and close every door on the car 5 times (4x5=20 door slams) and then they have to reset the alarm on the car (beep beep). My bedroom window is right over the parking area so I hear all of it, even with the fan on. And, because my back windows also face another parking area, I get it twice over.
Save me from the people who hit the alarm button on the key fob and don't know how to turn it off.

I, we, are all very tired, this was not just someone late checking in, this was a total disturbance to the entire family. Fortunately there were no other guests checked in. They were here to party, they had been partying, the didn't care about anyone else, there was no respect, we were simply a motel to them.
Our check in time is not 3AM. Ever. I do know if people check in late, and they would have been over our bedroom. We didn't sleep a wink as it was. They told us 9pm, they didn't show at 130PM when we finally took the note off the door.
We are not a motel, we won't be a motel. This was a red flag alerting us to worse to come, we both felt that in our gut, so we nipped it in the bud, we did not charge them, they went to a motel up the road. So there's the rest of the story...and then there is this...they called this afternoon to stay here tonight. YEAH RIGHTO! We said No, we have no rooms available for you.
This was one of those calls you have to made at the time and do the right thing for you and yours. Lost revenue and all...peace of mind weighs much higher on our scale..
So...did they wake you on purpose at 3 am or were you awake anyway and just heard them? This is unbelievable.

After having stayed up for several - some arrived, some no-shows, we are done with that!
If I get a call at 7 and they are still hours away, that is my que to ask if they are coming straight here or stopping along the way. 'Are you in route?' (Learned from experience not to assume anything.) If they give me any indication that they will be after 9, and I will ask, then I do go ahead and tell them about self check in. Then if they need/want to stop, they are on feeling pressed to get here at any given time.
When I am ready, for bed I can place the key, and room info on the front desk, they will have the front door code, and I can go to bed and dream sweet dreams. I will no longer loose sleep worrying if they are coming or if they arrived. They are aware that if they have problems entering the house, they can ring the bell or call us on their cell.

Would you, given this background info, go and check them in at 3AM?
I hate to admit this here, but I have - not loud pipe bikers but horse people. Mine (on a couple occasions) called every couple hours with status reports (that voided any napping) as they, both times, were having truck problems crossing the mountains. With the horses I go to the Interstate and guide them to the stable. It is also so I know everything was as it should be at the stable, the horse(s) were put in stalls OK, etc. I feel I owe it to the farmer to be his eyes/ears and witness in case of problems.
I also have had people arrive LATE (a.m. late) due to accident traffic or stupidity of leaving quite late and not realizing how far it was to us. Remember though, I do not have kids at home nor a poor working guy trying to sleep AND i am in Podunk - the only one losing sleep is me - and we are VERY small. If I had 6 rooms, the answer would probably be VERY different.
Edited to add: Just so you know, I started this reply this morning when there were no others but life got in the wy before I could finish it.
Also, in 1987 was going to a B & B in Freeport on the way to the windjammer and did not realize how far it was from Chicago to Freeport. Stopped for dinner at 8 and called the innkeeper apologizing. I do not remember what time we arrived (I think between 11 and midnight) and it must have been a self-check-in because I do not remember any hard, cold looks. Shows how non-B & B I was then.

After having stayed up for several - some arrived, some no-shows, we are done with that!
If I get a call at 7 and they are still hours away, that is my que to ask if they are coming straight here or stopping along the way. 'Are you in route?' (Learned from experience not to assume anything.) If they give me any indication that they will be after 9, and I will ask, then I do go ahead and tell them about self check in. Then if they need/want to stop, they are on feeling pressed to get here at any given time.
When I am ready, for bed I can place the key, and room info on the front desk, they will have the front door code, and I can go to bed and dream sweet dreams. I will no longer loose sleep worrying if they are coming or if they arrived. They are aware that if they have problems entering the house, they can ring the bell or call us on their cell..
copperhead said:
At first we did the self-check-in without thinking, altho it was odd to us being newbies. Then I started reading up on the PAII forum how guests WANT the innkeeper interaction and if you're NOT immediately visible guests get up to mischief. So we stopped doing self-check-in and went back to waiting up until all hours because guests would NOT pin down an arrival time. (As it is, we are still waiting for rooms who ALL said they'd be here at 3 PM. I am probably going to stop asking what time they expect to arrive and tell them we are here from 3-7, show up somewhere in there or call.)
We were not a happy camper waiting up until midnight and later for Friday-night-can't-get-out-of-work-until-late guests. We went back to self-check-in. And more sleep. And no more issues with late arrivers than with folks we had personally delivered right to their room, carrying their luggage for them.
So, basically, what we figured was, we need to do what works for us. I like to ask advice here because I can't think of everything on my own. But, when it comes down to whose name is on the mortgage, then I have to decide what works here. (And, as a sidetrack, since we started asking, 'Are there any food ALLERGIES?' (instead of 'restrictions') we haven't had any weird dietary requests.)

When I am ready, for bed I can place the key, and room info on the front desk, they will have the front door code, and I can go to bed and dream sweet dreams. I will no longer loose sleep worrying if they are coming or if they arrived. They are aware that if they have problems entering the house, they can ring the bell or call us on their cell..
copperhead said:
At first we did the self-check-in without thinking, altho it was odd to us being newbies. Then I started reading up on the PAII forum how guests WANT the innkeeper interaction and if you're NOT immediately visible guests get up to mischief. So we stopped doing self-check-in and went back to waiting up until all hours because guests would NOT pin down an arrival time. (As it is, we are still waiting for rooms who ALL said they'd be here at 3 PM. I am probably going to stop asking what time they expect to arrive and tell them we are here from 3-7, show up somewhere in there or call.)
We were not a happy camper waiting up until midnight and later for Friday-night-can't-get-out-of-work-until-late guests. We went back to self-check-in. And more sleep. And no more issues with late arrivers than with folks we had personally delivered right to their room, carrying their luggage for them.
So, basically, what we figured was, we need to do what works for us. I like to ask advice here because I can't think of everything on my own. But, when it comes down to whose name is on the mortgage, then I have to decide what works here. (And, as a sidetrack, since we started asking, 'Are there any food ALLERGIES?' (instead of 'restrictions') we haven't had any weird dietary requests.)
This is part of my beef with PAII. Based on what exactly are they dictating that EVERYONE who stays in a b&b is wanting/needing/expecting innkeeper interaction? I don't like those kinds of generalizations.

copperhead said:
This is part of my beef with PAII. Based on what exactly are they dictating that EVERYONE who stays in a b&b is wanting/needing/expecting innkeeper interaction? I don't like those kinds of generalizations.
Personal interaction is fine...but it doesn't mean staying up till 3 am to greet a guest. Those kind of folks can go to the nearest motel.

And they did!
We all operate differently, the newer we are, the more experienced we are, how our B&B is set up physically. Would cabins or rooms with outside entrances change the way we operate? Youbetchya!
Location, layout, type of inn, innkeeper temperament.
I for one, would be totally embarrassed to show up super late at B&B, I would prefer a note so I could just sneak in quietly to my room. This is one reason many people don't stay in B&B's, they are travelling and it may be late and they don't want the innkeeper scorn. But you have to let them innkeepers know you will be late.

copperhead said:
PAII forum...people like us, not 'PAII the organization'.

I really cannot do self-check-in with my set up and being as small as we are, it really is not usually a problem (gotta love being in Podunk). My front door is almost 100 years old and has a skeleton key lock that WE do not use even (we use the kitchen entrance). A lot depends on configuration of the B & B and the family situation of the innkeepers. As with everything else - it is what works for YOU! (But I no longer will get up at midnight to take a guest who calls looking for a room! - never took any before from "Mr. Lucky" but did from people who discovered their "confirmed" reservation was not, no rooms at the inn...)

copperhead said:
PAII forum...people like us, not 'PAII the organization'.
Got ya, I misread.

I think it is a little different with me as I lock up at night and they can only get into areas they are meant to be in. I have only done 4 late check ins in 8 months and two of those came together. One I got up for (before I bought my lock box) as he was a return, had rung to tell me arrival time was supposed to be before 9.30 and missed his train so had to sit in a train station till 11.30 at night till next train so figured he had had a crap enough time as it was. The other two I left a key in the box for and they were as quiet as mice. and the third I met when he checked out he didn't even have breakfast (prefered sleep) and seemed very nice to. most people here seem to arrive about 6pm during the week and far too early on a weekend! so late check in's less of an issue. But decided I was not going to wait up any more. Also it has been handy for other things like our handy man can get in without me being there (he is family but is always loosing things) and so on.

Back