Would you check in a guest who showed at 3am the next morning?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
They noted check in time of 6pm. Two couples, military.
They called at 7pm (after our normal check in time) to state they were in such and such a city, which is about 2 hours away.
We put a note out for self check in at 10pm when they had not shown. They never called again. We did not sleep, we felt they would arrive at any minute. The table was set, the rooms have flowers, all the lights are on.
At 130AM, we removed the note from the door, turned off all lights.
At 3AM they arrived and parked out front, one loud motorcycle and one vehicle.
Would you, given this background info, go and check them in at 3AM?

This question pertains to the comments "Nothing good comes from answering the phone after 9pm" or nothing good comes from a check in after midnight, or have you ever asked someone to leave..Or have you thought about asking someone to leave...or lastly, have you not ALLOWED a check in knowing nothing good comes from a check in which occurs the next morning?
Yeah hand me that PITA trophy...pass the baton to me.
"When they're good they're real good, when they're bad they're real bad." Me.

At that 1 AM-ish timeframe if I hadn't heard from them, I'd probably think that they're a no-show and do exactly what you did. I would be tempted if they banged on the door at 3 AM to tell them that after around 1 AM, I gave their room away since we hadn't heard from them and considered them a no-show.
Our one remaining B&B acts like a hotel since no one is really around and does the self check-in and forgets about it. They don't care when someone arrives as long as their credit card is good.
Curious minds want to know the rest of the story??

When you post the note (which should be at 7 pm on the dot!) go to bed and put them out of your mind. They are ADULTS. They will figure it out. This happens to us all the time, people are too dumb to read maps anymore and believe every word their GPS' tell them and have no clue what the real travel time will be. Unless you are worried about someone ELSE coming in because the note is hanging there...
Edited to add:
pita.gif

I'm starting to think it must be the time of the year, or the fact that today is FULL MOON. Everyone this week is just BIZARRE. I'm done with 'em all.

We had some guests arriving on motorcyle in a blinding rain. They did call and say they WERE coming, but were in a town about 50 miles away waiting for the storm to subside (it never did). Because we knew they were coming, we turned on the porch light and a couple of lights in their room with a standardized check-in note. We went to bed and did not see them until breakfast the next morning. Our situation is different because we have guest cabins.
Set yourself up with a plan for this contigency. If the room is in your home and you normally lock your doors at a certain time, then you should post that time on your website, have it written on the confirmation and verbally tell the guest when/if they call that the check-in is between 3 and 7 pm. and that the doors are locked after 9:00 o'clock AND if they have not called to make other arrangements that they will be considered a no show and should consider other lodging arrangements. In other words, spell it out.
If you lose a customer because you stick to your guns, you probably didn't want them in the first place.

When you post the note (which should be at 7 pm on the dot!) go to bed and put them out of your mind. They are ADULTS. They will figure it out. This happens to us all the time, people are too dumb to read maps anymore and believe every word their GPS' tell them and have no clue what the real travel time will be. Unless you are worried about someone ELSE coming in because the note is hanging there...
Edited to add:
pita.gif

I'm starting to think it must be the time of the year, or the fact that today is FULL MOON. Everyone this week is just BIZARRE. I'm done with 'em all..
Speaking as someone who has actually arrived at 1:30 am to "check in" to a B&B before (lateness caused by railroad delays), I was grateful the innkeepers had left me a note and key. I was ultra-quiet as I looked for my room since I felt like it was far too late to make any noise. The next morning, they were completely pleasant to me and served a lovely breakfast--no mention of my arrival time other than, "Did you sleep well?"
I think it is worth letting someone check in at whatever time they arrive--via note, of course. I think the "bad press" which could result outweighs the annoyance of a late arrival. Imagine a traveler who has had some horrible experience like a missed connecting flight, late train, car trouble, or other delays arriving at your door looking forward to a lovely stay with you only to be turned away--which would be the last straw for their awful day. And when they tell their friends the horror story of their trip, your B&B gets to be part of it.
So... so long as the rest of the normal policies apply (desk hours, checkout time, rates, etc.), I see no reason to deny a guest a 3 am arrival. You could become their hero-- but like Don says-- just leave a note and go to bed. They're adults.

At that 1 AM-ish timeframe if I hadn't heard from them, I'd probably think that they're a no-show and do exactly what you did. I would be tempted if they banged on the door at 3 AM to tell them that after around 1 AM, I gave their room away since we hadn't heard from them and considered them a no-show.
Our one remaining B&B acts like a hotel since no one is really around and does the self check-in and forgets about it. They don't care when someone arrives as long as their credit card is good.
Curious minds want to know the rest of the story??.
Samster said:
Curious minds want to know the rest of the story??
This is a tough one. They certainly made an effort to call you and let you know that they are on the way, albeit a little late. I can't help think that something went awry.
BBBBoB

We had some guests arriving on motorcyle in a blinding rain. They did call and say they WERE coming, but were in a town about 50 miles away waiting for the storm to subside (it never did). Because we knew they were coming, we turned on the porch light and a couple of lights in their room with a standardized check-in note. We went to bed and did not see them until breakfast the next morning. Our situation is different because we have guest cabins.
Set yourself up with a plan for this contigency. If the room is in your home and you normally lock your doors at a certain time, then you should post that time on your website, have it written on the confirmation and verbally tell the guest when/if they call that the check-in is between 3 and 7 pm. and that the doors are locked after 9:00 o'clock AND if they have not called to make other arrangements that they will be considered a no show and should consider other lodging arrangements. In other words, spell it out.
If you lose a customer because you stick to your guns, you probably didn't want them in the first place..
Any of a number of things could have happened to make them so late. Once you tell them the keys and self check in procedures are there for them, they expected to be able to arrive and let themselves in. They may have thought about calling again, but didn't want to disturb you, and they were told where to find keys. Once you know they will be so late, you should just put them out of your mind - they are adults, like someone else said.
EDITED: Just re-read that they did not know you were putting out self check in procedures. In other words, they had no idea that you were not still up, waiting for them, tapping your toes...and they had not bothered to call. I think this makes a big difference. That's terribly rude on their part.

If I have a cell phone they get a call with the number of the lock box and what time they come is none of my concern. I am not waiting up for anyone not any more.

We allow really late check-in here and sometimes the guests are much later than expected. I leave the outside light on, a note on the door, and directions to their room. I do not sleep well until they arrive and 3 a.m. is really stretching the limit but I would definitely not turn them away.

I would like to think I would not let them check in. I would like to think if they knocked or called I'd tell them to come back when we open for breakfast. But I probably would let them in with a few words....
riki
edited to say: CHARGE them an overtime fee! That's it! At least make them PAY for waking you up!!

What would YOU DO, not what would I do.
Given the information I gave you at the start, what would YOU DO? There are no missed flights, there is no driving rain. Just the info I gave above. :)
I already know what I did. Asking what you think you would do in this situation?

Given the information I gave you at the start, what would YOU DO? There are no missed flights, there is no driving rain. Just the info I gave above. :)
I already know what I did. Asking what you think you would do in this situation?.
Even though I probably would have been up all night wondering...I would have just left the note on the door and if they came, they could self check in.
Though I would be seriously tempted to just leave a note saying "we waited till 1 when you didn't show we figured you wouldn't...the xxx motel is down the streetif you do sho up" GRRRRR

At the phone call, I would have explained the late check-in process, locked all the doors except their rooms and then gone to bed with the note and key on the door. The call at 7, being two hours away, would put them close enough to my 'no more personal check-in' time that I would have told them what to expect if we weren't still up. Then, honestly, I would not have known if they arrived at 11 or at 3, unless they were in the room over my head.

I already know what I did. Asking what you think you would do in this situation?.
Even though I probably would have been up all night wondering...I would have just left the note on the door and if they came, they could self check in.
Though I would be seriously tempted to just leave a note saying "we waited till 1 when you didn't show we figured you wouldn't...the xxx motel is down the streetif you do sho up" GRRRRR
catlady said:
YES...might be passive aggressive but this is what I put in the note when they don't even bother to call and tell us they'll be late "We're sorry we missed you during our 3-5 pm check-in time". I also put a copy of their confirmation on their bed (you know, the one that says you need to call if you're going to be late?). I try to train them to be good b&b guests for the next time, to help the innkeeper out
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
I already know what I did. Asking what you think you would do in this situation?
Ok...final answer. LOL. I would have put the keys & self check in procedures outside and called it good. Whatever! Night - Night!

I would not have removed the note from the door. We leave it out, go to bed and hope for the best. Yes, the lights are on, the A/C or heat is on, but they're adults. If they got lost until 3 AM and didn't call for help, that's their problem.
And our note on the door tells them what time we expect to see them for brekkie.
Edited to add that we explain the late arrival process when they call...cc charged at 9 PM, note left on door, breakfast is at..., and ask if they are stopping for dinner somewhere (otherwise I tell them what is open late here).

we ask for a call if they cannot arrive by 10pm. Then we let them know about the key in the mailbox and note. We tell them about where their room is and warn them about the creaky steps. We also ask about breakfast time, coffee, allergies, etc in case we need to pop down to the store for something. We don't get many but do get guests who leave the DC area after work and arrive mid-night and afterwards to work the morning after they arrive here.

Gee....I'am a 2 cottage B&B. Have had very late arrival @1:30 am, just left the key for them. They booked 2 nights so were charged 2 nights. We talked on the phone at 8 pm and they thought they would arrive at 11pm. Late arrivals never get the full value of the B&B, can't run the coffee maker(it grinds,etc), can't find the button for the jetted tub, sometimed can't find the remote for the fireplace, don't know they have the key to the hot tub room and barn on their key ring, etc. etc, There paying for all this but not getting the full value of the stay,this is something I do not understand ?.Mainly DC area guest like" Greyswan."..Mary in Bwater

Back