Would you pass?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
If you suddenly had to get a 'real job' could you pass a social media background check?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/technology/social-media-history-becomes-a-new-job-hurdle.html?

PC Police - Big Brother is HERE. just a couple decades behind expectations. They are probably now working on a scanner to detect our thoughts.
Could I pass a social media background check? That depends on who is looking and what their criteria/slant was. I probably am not "progressive" enough to satisfy most.

PC Police - Big Brother is HERE. just a couple decades behind expectations. They are probably now working on a scanner to detect our thoughts.
Could I pass a social media background check? That depends on who is looking and what their criteria/slant was. I probably am not "progressive" enough to satisfy most..
In this case it's not so much what you know as what you say online. Or buy online. Or look at online.

I think I could pass.
I'm always aware of what I post out there in the social media. I have a person FB page, but rarely use it. I refuse to participate in all those games, questions, surveys, etc because of the privacy issues. On the business page, it always has to be professional.
Even on the PAII forum, I'm very aware of what I write, since it's not anonymous. Being anonymous (except the few loyals) on this forum is a blessing!

Could I pass a social media background check? That depends on who is looking and what their criteria/slant was. I probably am not "progressive" enough to satisfy most..
In this case it's not so much what you know as what you say online. Or buy online. Or look at online.
Alibi Ike said:
I realize that, but if they are probing my online purchases, my comments to friends, the e-mails I receive, they are probably looking at who are your friends... The FBI , security clearance forms demand you give up all your family, friends, in-laws, etc and then they interview people about you. I know a person who was interviewed about an applicant (as a reference person) and she was insulted by the snide comment made by the interviewer re the orientation of said job applicant. Now they just look at what sites you visit, goups you belong to, people you link to.....

I think I could pass.
I'm always aware of what I post out there in the social media. I have a person FB page, but rarely use it. I refuse to participate in all those games, questions, surveys, etc because of the privacy issues. On the business page, it always has to be professional.
Even on the PAII forum, I'm very aware of what I write, since it's not anonymous. Being anonymous (except the few loyals) on this forum is a blessing!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I think I could pass.
Even on the PAII forum, I'm very aware of what I write, since it's not anonymous. Being anonymous (except the few loyals) on this forum is a blessing!
This happens to be where I think none of us would pass someone's scrutiny. We're not anonymous on here because you've used an email to sign up that can be tracked back to you. Everytime I find myself wanting to scream on here lately, I think about how that is going to look to a potential buyer or employer.

I think I could pass.
Even on the PAII forum, I'm very aware of what I write, since it's not anonymous. Being anonymous (except the few loyals) on this forum is a blessing!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I think I could pass.
This happens to be where I think none of us would pass someone's scrutiny. We're not anonymous on here because you've used an email to sign up that can be tracked back to you. Everytime I find myself wanting to scream on here lately, I think about how that is going to look to a potential buyer or employer.
Hmmmm....how are they able to grab our e-mail?

Alibi Ike said:
I realize that, but if they are probing my online purchases, my comments to friends, the e-mails I receive, they are probably looking at who are your friends... The FBI , security clearance forms demand you give up all your family, friends, in-laws, etc and then they interview people about you. I know a person who was interviewed about an applicant (as a reference person) and she was insulted by the snide comment made by the interviewer re the orientation of said job applicant. Now they just look at what sites you visit, goups you belong to, people you link to.....
We've been interviewed for someone else's security clearance for a federal job. We had a guest a few weeks ago who was peeved because now that he is retired he is no longer cleared for high-level, need-to-know info and his son won't talk to him about what he does for work. It was humorous in its own little way.
But the article is talking about jobs anywhere, not national security.

Alibi Ike said:
We've been interviewed for someone else's security clearance for a federal job. We had a guest a few weeks ago who was peeved because now that he is retired he is no longer cleared for high-level, need-to-know info and his son won't talk to him about what he does for work. It was humorous in its own little way.
Do you really think that makes a difference? Set up some little hacker and they ( whoever the they is) have everything. One of the joys of being old is that it no longer matters to me.
Brought DH into the 21st century yesterday - he actually got a cell phone. BUT before we could get him said cell phone, they did a credit check on him. I wonder how many "checks" we are all going through every day that we do not know about. Will guests in the future (if they are not already) googling us to see if we "fit" their profile.

I think I could pass.
Breakfast Diva said:
I think I could pass.
Hmmmm....how are they able to grab our e-mail?
How many times have you heard of someone's address book being accessed. Do a "like" on fb to a friend or one of their stupid "causes" so you will not hurt their tender feelings.... I think if there is a "door" in (you access the Internet), there is a way to get whatever they want.

Alibi Ike said:
Do you really think that makes a difference? Set up some little hacker and they ( whoever the they is) have everything. One of the joys of being old is that it no longer matters to me.
Brought DH into the 21st century yesterday - he actually got a cell phone. BUT before we could get him said cell phone, they did a credit check on him. I wonder how many "checks" we are all going through every day that we do not know about. Will guests in the future (if they are not already) googling us to see if we "fit" their profile.
gillumhouse said:
We had guests who did that. They researched US to find out if there was anything sketchy about us before they sent their mother here on vacation.

we had a case recently where a girl was fired for posting about difficult customers (she worked in a pub) they were mentioned by name and she was fired for it as they said it was against company policy and threatened the good name of the chain.

Mind you I live up the road from one of the biggest spy bases in the world where they scan phones, radio etc for certain words etc They must be board ruddy stupid if they listen to my phone! lol

Too darn bad they do not use this 'technolgy' for better needs. Don't get this Copperhead started!!!!

Back