Would you rather have an empty room???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
OK...so someone calls and wants to change their stay from one to two nights. Unfortunately the same room (standard room) is not available for both nights. All that's left is luxury rooms and they want a big break on the room rate. So they say ...What, would you rather have an empty room??? Ugh...Hmmmmmm yes, I think I would. Does anyone have a good comeback for this? Kind of irks me when people expect us to jump at the chance to give the room away at a discount as opposed to not having it occupied. Happy weekend!!

I've got now snappy comeback for it, but we had quite a few comments like that from people when we informed them of our constant 2 night minimum. They seem think that if they remind me that the room would be empty (like I somehow forgot that concept) I'd be happy to set them up. I feel your pain, it always rubbed me the wrong way too.

"Tell ya what, honey, you let me keep it so that maybe I can get it occupied with no discount. If I'm right, I don't starve, but if you're right, you can say 'told ya so' as many times as you want. If you're still here, I'll throw in a free breakfast. Deal?"

Sorry lady the only room we have available is XXX and it is XXX extra. If you don't book it, someone else will.
I would prefer it to stay empty rather than to bow down to PITA wanting a discount. Now if you say gave just a 10% discount offer and they still refused, then say ADIOS!

One night is a "break even" situation after electricity, laundry, water, labor (free-as it's mine, but the time it takes needs to be counted) etc. Thus, yes, it's better for us to leave the room empty than discount it.
I've also said, we don't discount except in very limited situations for stays over 15 nights. We also don't raise our rates for peak periods, nor do we lower them for slower times. We provide, what we consider to be a quality product & will do our best to ensure that you have a great experience here on island as we're like your very own built in concierges. We work hard to try to guarantee this type of service for our guests 7 days/week & this is what our price is.

One night is a "break even" situation after electricity, laundry, water, labor (free-as it's mine, but the time it takes needs to be counted) etc. Thus, yes, it's better for us to leave the room empty than discount it.
I've also said, we don't discount except in very limited situations for stays over 15 nights. We also don't raise our rates for peak periods, nor do we lower them for slower times. We provide, what we consider to be a quality product & will do our best to ensure that you have a great experience here on island as we're like your very own built in concierges. We work hard to try to guarantee this type of service for our guests 7 days/week & this is what our price is..
This is our answer as well. We try to keep our rates reasonable for everyone all the time. We discount 10% on stays over 7 nights (and we do get those). We don't raise our rates for peak periods or weekends. Sorry, you should have booked earlier to ensure the room you wanted was available.

Two choices:
Sorry, but the room will be sold in any case, sorry about that. (I sometimes offer $10 off for the inconvenience of having to move, but that's the only discount and not if they ask for it.)
Upgrade someone else to give him the cheaper room. I'd rather upgrade someone who didn't ask for anything than someone who did.

I might consider giving a different guest the upgrade and give the 'gimme's' the standard room for 2 nights.

I might consider giving a different guest the upgrade and give the 'gimme's' the standard room for 2 nights..
Alibi Ike said:
I might consider giving a different guest the upgrade and give the 'gimme's' the standard room for 2 nights.
I agree I would upgrade the OTHER guests and leave THOSE guests in that room for both nights. Much rather since they are so smug!
Edited to add: I gave two older ladies here on a girl-friend getaway a comp upgrade worhth $60 and I showed them both rooms, the SUITE is twice the size of the other, with king bed, sitting area etc. They both have shower stalls, so not a big diff there. Suite has more windows, private entrance from outside, flat screen tv, etc. They stood there and said "Will this be okay?" Like I was downgrading them, not upgrading. The other room is not really a two person getaway room unless you spend the time in BED, ie couples.
I hope they appreciated it, probably not. I did it to be nice. The suite had a cancellation due to a death in the family this weekend.

I might consider giving a different guest the upgrade and give the 'gimme's' the standard room for 2 nights..
Unfortunately that's not an option since the guests in the room are in there for 3 nights prior .. The PITA wants to come a day early.

I would tell them the room will book anyway and if it does not just remove it on your reservation system in case they look.
Riki

You can always say that you'll "Wait List" them for the room they want for the extra night in the event of a cancellation and contact them. I don't think that you need to apologize to them that the room they want for the extra night is already booked.
Sorry that it doesn't work to upgrade the folks booked in and keep these people in the standard room. That was always my go-to option.
This comment rubs me the wrong way as well...along with, "I only want a clean, comfortable place to sleep for one night". ACK!

Thank you for telling me something I did not think of. An empty room will be now be available for a weary traveler who just needs one night in that room!

Back