Would you recommend The B&B Team?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2Eight

Reaction score
We are planning on attending a Better Way to Learn Innkeeping weekend with The B&B Team. Have any of you gone to one? Was it worth the investment? Would you do it again? What are the pros and cons? Thanks so much for your input. I am leaning so much from all of you.

From seeing them over the course of many years and hearing their workshops at Conferences (I did not take their course but sat in on part of one at OUR Conference) - they know their stuff.

I haven't been to one of their classes but taking classes from someone with B&B experience is a great idea. The B&B Team has the experience in the sales, marketing and figuring out if a biz will be profitable, insurance, licensing, the 'business' side. Do they have guest speakers who will cover the day to day 'life of an innkeeper'?
I know you can get that here, but it helps to have someone show you rather than just read about it. Is the class held at a B&B? Do you have access to the innkeepers during the class? Will they be showing you around 'behind the scenes'?
The class we took was at a B&B and the innkeepers showed us what their day was like. We saw the rooms being cleaned, laundry being done, we got the whole nine yards from what time to get up to how to have your own life. They showed us their innkeeping quarters and gave good advice on making sure you do HAVE your own space and you're not sharing with guests. (Sick kid and you have to go thru the inn for ginger ale? Someone will be there wanting your attention when your kid needs you.)
Understand what kind of a B&B the speakers are running. We've had commentary by innkeepers who were solely the 'glam' part of the business. They did not do ANY of the grunt work. If you will be doing everything and not hiring out the dirty jobs, make sure you understand the POV of who is doing the classes.
Ex- if one of your speakers says they go out for lunch or yoga class or whatever everyday, you need to know who is doing the work while they are out.
Also understand that this is YOUR business and you'll end up adapting anything you hear and see to fit what works for you. (Ditto everything you read here.)

Maddie is correct on B & B Team - finance/marketing end is their forte. They are also inn brokers but do not touch a 3-room, not big enough in their opinion.
Many Associations have Aspiring classes. I would advise taking several - find out what their focus is. Several on here have or have done Aspiring classes - each has its own focus but all give an excellent overview.

B&B team is great for financing and basics. Remember, they are brokers and sell properties, so you're not just getting an innkeepers view of things. They want to sell properties. I think the money is well worth it, but don't stop there. Find an additional seminar that will give you the hands on, behind the scenes experience.
It always amazes me when aspiring innkeepers balk at spending money (I'm talking generally, not you in specific) to take seminars and pay for hands on experience. This is your LIFE you're changing. It's a huge investment. The money spent for seminars could be the best investment you'll ever make. It is a very expensive industry you're trying to join. Spend whatever it takes to get informed....who knows, after spending the money and time for the learning process, it might be more than you wanted and innkeeping is not for you. YOU NEED TO FIND THIS OUT BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

I believe at least one of them is a former innkeeper. I know they are knowledgeable in their field and very supportive of the industry, as a whole. I've spoken with Mr. Wolf in the past and he is extremely helpful and friendly. I believe he is the former innkeeper.

I don't know if both Peter and the other former innkeeper do them together or not. I have taught several classes with Peter when I was VA association pres. He is excellent and does know his stuff.

I believe at least one of them is a former innkeeper. I know they are knowledgeable in their field and very supportive of the industry, as a whole. I've spoken with Mr. Wolf in the past and he is extremely helpful and friendly. I believe he is the former innkeeper..
I think the 'former' part is a ways in the past. Which is why I recommended knowing the speaker's POV. If someone hasn't done this in awhile the memories can fade of just how much work it is. Even if everything is hired out.

If it was me I go to those B&B's you admire and want to be like and hope for a chatty innkeeper. B&B's are unique as my friend Marie once said, Every B&B takes on its own personality and style, no two are ever alike.
Marie runs a B&B for the city of Dubuque....she's in a league of her own and was a wealth of knowledge even for a seasoned Hotelier such as myself.
I would go to B&B's however just in your area since the state to state laws vary so drastically.If your lucky you'll run into someone like myself that does not sugar coat the good the bad and the ugly. The good by far out weighs the the bad but the bad needs to be heard before you dive head first in.

I took a seminar with them. It was great. It was at a b&b on cape cod. we had a 'field trip' to shadow an innkeeper at another b&b during the seminar. i learned a lot from them. this was back in 2005 i believe. they did not try to sell us any properties or market other services. they dealt with hard financial realities that some at the seminar did not want to hear.

If it was me I go to those B&B's you admire and want to be like and hope for a chatty innkeeper. B&B's are unique as my friend Marie once said, Every B&B takes on its own personality and style, no two are ever alike.
Marie runs a B&B for the city of Dubuque....she's in a league of her own and was a wealth of knowledge even for a seasoned Hotelier such as myself.
I would go to B&B's however just in your area since the state to state laws vary so drastically.If your lucky you'll run into someone like myself that does not sugar coat the good the bad and the ugly. The good by far out weighs the the bad but the bad needs to be heard before you dive head first in..
In the UK all the laws and regs and taxes are supposed to be the same - however the fire stuff has become a nightmare!
What they used to do was a chap (or chapess) used to come from the fire department once a year look round and tell you if there was anything you needed to do - this was fine you knew exactly what was required.
However about 3 years ago they changed the law (in order to make it easier to understand NOT!!!) where now you have to write your own risk assessment (ie look at your own assessment and decide what is necessary) however if you get it wrong and someone is hurt or injured then you go to prison.
You can however have the fire brigade out or other consultant companies to give their opinion - but this can vary widely ie lady I know is half way between here and another town - fire brigade from 1 town said must have sprinklers - my town said they were fine as they are - its a nonsense!

We are officially registered for the seminar, and I booked our rooms at the Inn this morning!! Very excited to be going to PA in two weeks. Thanks for all the information.

Maddie is correct on B & B Team - finance/marketing end is their forte. They are also inn brokers but do not touch a 3-room, not big enough in their opinion.
Many Associations have Aspiring classes. I would advise taking several - find out what their focus is. Several on here have or have done Aspiring classes - each has its own focus but all give an excellent overview..
gillumhouse said:
Many Associations have Aspiring classes. I would advise taking several -
Definitely good advice: association folk are well attuned to local markets and regulations and it starts you off networking.

From seeing them over the course of many years and hearing their workshops at Conferences (I did not take their course but sat in on part of one at OUR Conference) - they know their stuff..
The people who have not attended this seminar of B&B, I'll suggest them to attend it once. Because its Amazing and there are many things to learn from it : prix location paris

Back