Would you sell your room tonight for 1/2 price?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I just got a call this morning, asking if we'd offer a discount for a last minute booking, tonight. I offered 10%. He said others have offered 50% off just to have the room filled.
I do not want to go through all the work involved for $40! He said the hotel where he is at has comparable prices so he'd just stay where he was at. GOOD!
C

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Let him go to a hotel...you don't have to fill your room especially at half price. Give me a break! Another one testing the waters. Stick to your guns...why should you give your room and your service away.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Let him go to a hotel...you don't have to fill your room especially at half price. Give me a break! Another one testing the waters. Stick to your guns...why should you give your room and your service away..
My thoughts exactly! Thanks!

No way - especially if it was put that way. The most I would consider is my funeral rate - not half-price.

I just saw the subject line and thought, "No," before I even read the post.
For 50%, I lose money. People don't think about the cost of additional electricity, water, gas (heating water and cooking). Climate control - not guests = no income = I don't heat/cool those areas of the house. Guests = climate control = you need to pay up. And then there's my labor, oh, and the cost of the food.
Anyway, if it gets to it (you know, the arguers) I just explain I will lose money on that. And thank goodness the other place is willing to make such an offer so he'll have a place to stay! (can't find a smiley that smiles AND rolls its eyes)

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Let him go to a hotel...you don't have to fill your room especially at half price. Give me a break! Another one testing the waters. Stick to your guns...why should you give your room and your service away..
Nope. We just got a call for three days in July and he wanted to know what we'd do. Nope
RIki

For 50%, I lose money. People don't think about the cost of additional electricity, water, gas (heating water and cooking). Climate control - not guests = no income = I don't heat/cool those areas of the house. Guests = climate control = you need to pay up. And then there's my labor, oh, and the cost of the food.
Anyway, if it gets to it (you know, the arguers) I just explain I will lose money on that. And thank goodness the other place is willing to make such an offer so he'll have a place to stay! (can't find a smiley that smiles AND rolls its eyes).
Ditto.

Not in a million years when you add it all up with costs, laundry, time and wear and tear in some cases it means that you are actually making a loss.

The best I would offer on in a situation like this is 10% off and cash would be nice.
wink_smile.gif

It's these constant third party booking agents for hotels ads on TV that are making people think that they can get a last minute room for next to nothing! And large chains are offering deep discounts. I couldn't offer a 50% discount and make it worth my while.

I was just came home from a short drive to a nearby city and I saw this apple valley motel and I recalled having a few people ask me if it is nice or not when they called. Honestly, how the heck do I know? I am a B&B, not some highway roadside motel, there is absolutely no reason for me to see their rooms or even stop there. Anyway, as I drove past I thought what a dive it is, and wonder why people would ask a B&B owner about some flea bag motel.
So all that to say, no, not half price, unless they stayed two or three nights then they might be able to get one of them half price. :)

I saw a small ad in the paper. Her son is graduating and she cannot afford to buy him any gifts, so she would like you to donate some cash to her - via her PO BOX, I might add, to make it a happy event for him. Money orders accepted. UGH!

NO way. I have told him "I don't even get out of bed for that price".
In out first couple of seasons we needed the money so if someone knocked on the door late in the day I might offer 10% if they looked like they were about to walk away and I thought it was unlikely I'd get anyone else, but not any more and certainly not 50%.
The cheek!!!

How about this innkeepers, how about we offer an EARLY BIRD rate. You book in ADVANCE and you get a discount. REWARD THOSE WHO PLAN vs those who think they deserve a huge discount just because they are legends in their own minds.
The Early Bird Gets the Worm my friends... :)

How about this innkeepers, how about we offer an EARLY BIRD rate. You book in ADVANCE and you get a discount. REWARD THOSE WHO PLAN vs those who think they deserve a huge discount just because they are legends in their own minds.
The Early Bird Gets the Worm my friends... :).
Joey Bloggs said:
You're totally right, JB. One of my peeves is when I see on the specials page or somewhere else on the website "Last minute specials available!" or something like that.
Jeeze. Talk about punishing the folks who booked ahead and rewarding those who wait.
And I'm saying that as someone who generally waits and generally am able to get a last-minute deal.
But I don't expect an inn to advertise that and always wonder why they'd have so much availability at the last minute that they'd have to advertise it on a regular basis. It sends an entirely wrong message to prospective guests.

Joey Bloggs said:
Can your reservation system handle that automatically? (Yours specifically; it's the one that seems most interesting to me.)

Joey Bloggs said:
Can your reservation system handle that automatically? (Yours specifically; it's the one that seems most interesting to me.)
IronGate said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I have a book online and save $, anyone who books online, and you can't book last minute, so I guess it is rewarding. I have book three nights midweek and save $75 on the third night. Yes, these are online only specials. Advance reservations.

Would I sell my room for 1/2 price tonight? NO. No way, Jose, not today, not any day. :)

Anyway, if it gets to it (you know, the arguers) I just explain I will lose money on that. And thank goodness the other place is willing to make such an offer so he'll have a place to stay! (can't find a smiley that smiles AND rolls its eyes).
My answer is NO way, but just for fun wouldn't it be tempting to say -
Sure you can have the room for $ 1/2 price
If you want lights that would be an additional $
If you want A/C (or heat) that would be an additional $
Oh and do you need water - add $
You didn't say you wanted a bed, well add $ and $ for linens,
etc...

What some places do is you get a discount if you pay in full when you book and this is non refundable. (they take the risk as they can't cancel) but it does help you with cash flow. I have a lowest rate and I won't go under that.

Back